One handed drumming

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Well, I only have one hand until my collarbone heals. So, I am asking you, fellow forum members, give me a challenge! I want some difficult things to play, and I will learn them, and record them. Any ideas?

mo2vation

Well, I only have one hand until my collarbone heals. So, I am asking you, fellow forum members, give me a challenge! I want some difficult things to play, and I will learn them, and record them. Any ideas?

I had one hand for a bit....

My double kick pedal became an godsend. I was able to do so much with that.

I play a cajon. Often. At a very high level - and in the drumkit replacement stuff I do and show, its about implied parts. Because there is no sustain on a cajon (no hh, no ride) you need to imply a lot of those types of parts.

Same when I had one hand. My feet filled in for a lot of the grace strokes, and a lot of the stuff I did (fills, etc.) were simply implied. Drive into the fill hard, pull out and get back on the beat... the listener fills in the rest.

It helped me SOOO much - moving foot parts to hand parts and even vice versa.

Basically going from four beaters to three, you know? My triplets sure improved. I can do one handed triplets for days now - hand foot foot hand foot foot

You're gonna dig it for a bit, I'm confident.

Heal soon, buddy.

-K

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
I had one hand for a bit....

My double kick pedal became an godsend. I was able to do so much with that.

I play a cajon. Often. At a very high level - and in the drumkit replacement stuff I do and show, its about implied parts. Because there is no sustain on a cajon (no hh, no ride) you need to imply a lot of those types of parts.

Same when I had one hand. My feet filled in for a lot of the grace strokes, and a lot of the stuff I did (fills, etc.) were simply implied. Drive into the fill hard, pull out and get back on the beat... the listener fills in the rest.

It helped me SOOO much - moving foot parts to hand parts and even vice versa.

Basically going from four beaters to three, you know? My triplets sure improved. I can do one handed triplets for days now - hand foot foot hand foot foot

You're gonna dig it for a bit, I'm confident.

Heal soon, buddy.

-K

Thanks for the reply Mo2vation! I'm definitely doing a lot of double bass work, haha. The "implied" concept is actually a very interesting one, its something that I think is completely valid and useful in general. The one handed triplet thing is great as well, I was playing those a lot a couple days ago. I was playing them as a fill in some shuffle variations, pretty cool!

mo2vation

Thanks for the reply Mo2vation! I'm definitely doing a lot of double bass work, haha. The "implied" concept is actually a very interesting one, its something that I think is completely valid and useful in general. The one handed triplet thing is great as well, I was playing those a lot a couple days ago. I was playing them as a fill in some shuffle variations, pretty cool!

Exactly....

Mick Brown - saw him in LA with a band called Xciter. He'd do this great 3 over 4 double kick triplet - right hand floor tom kick kick snare kick kick floor tom...

It gave this very cool shuffle with the 3 over 4 feel that I love so much. I think his left hand was either spinning or drinking a beer. Who knows - this was ages ago. But I never forgot the feel of it, and I use that often when fooling around.

Baga-da BAga-da Baga-da BAga-da. Its just so simple, and so excellent, and so shuffle groovy.

Love it.

-K

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Exactly....

Mick Brown - saw him in LA with a band called Xciter. He'd do this great 3 over 4 double kick triplet - right hand floor tom kick kick snare kick kick floor tom...

It gave this very cool shuffle with the 3 over 4 feel that I love so much. I think his left hand was either spinning or drinking a beer. Who knows - this was ages ago. But I never forgot the feel of it, and I use that often when fooling around.

Baga-da BAga-da Baga-da BAga-da. Its just so simple, and so excellent, and so shuffle groovy.

Love it.

-K

Wait, just so I understand you... the groove you're talking about is 8th note triplets, split between your right foot and right hand, correct? You would start that with the bass drum then, so you can get the accents on the 2 and 4 on the snare with your right. It would go:
f r f R f r f r f R f r
(f = foot r = right on floor tom R = right on snare)

mo2vation

Wait, just so I understand you... the groove you're talking about is 8th note triplets, split between your right foot and right hand, correct? You would start that with the bass drum then, so you can get the accents on the 2 and 4 on the snare with your right. It would go:
f r f R f r f r f R f r
(f = foot r = right on floor tom R = right on snare)

hmmmm... mine is much simpler... but that is pretty cool.

(all right hand)

FT - floor tom
LF - Left foot
RF- Right foor
SN - Snare

(ba - ga - da - BA - ga - da)
FT - LF - RF - SN - LF - RF - FT - LF - RF - SN - LF - RF - FT - LF - RF

Its so funny! I've never had to think this through... but above is my one handed two footed shuffle thingus. The mid tempo is where it just sings.

I'm working on yours now... very cool!

-K

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
hmmmm... mine is much simpler... but that is pretty cool.

(all right hand)

FT - floor tom
LF - Left foot
RF- Right foor
SN - Snare

(ba - ga - da - BA - ga - da)
FT - LF - RF - SN - LF - RF - FT - LF - RF - SN - LF - RF - FT - LF - RF

Its so funny! I've never had to think this through... but above is my one handed two footed shuffle thingus. The mid tempo is where it just sings.

I'm working on yours now... very cool!

-K

Ok, I gotcha! Thats a sweet lick, I'll give it some time on the kit tomorrow! Thanks ;D Its funny how its sometimes hard to deconstruct things that you play all the time, haha.

By the way, I thought I'd mention that the left foot keeps quarter notes on the hats in my groove, makes it a bit more fun, haha.

mo2vation

Ok, I gotcha! Thats a sweet lick, I'll give it some time on the kit tomorrow! Thanks ;D Its funny how its sometimes hard to deconstruct things that you play all the time, haha.

By the way, I thought I'd mention that the left foot keeps quarter notes on the hats in my groove, makes it a bit more fun, haha.

It is so excellent reading how we all play things differently.

I can't believe how many here lead quads with their right foot. For me, I can't even imagine that. I'm generally moving left to right on the toms... I always lead my quads and my triplets with my left foot, moving to my right.

LH - RH - LF - RF - LH - RH - LF - RH - Flam

or

LF - RF - LH - RH - LH - RH - LF - RF - LF - RF - Flam

Exchanging toms and snare and tambourine and stax and splashes for most hand strokes. My feet just play the kick pedals. Boring. One day I'll teach my foot to hit a tom or a cowbell or a splash.

:)

It just seems so weird to me to lead with my right foot (or right hand) - not just on quads (above) but even with triplets. My left side always leads.

I need to practice more with my right side leading. Its very foreign to me.

-K

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Why not try to play whatever comes to your mind usually, and see how far you can
get with one hand?

Other than that, I think some coordination stuff between hand and feet would come in handy in the situation.

Also, you can always work on your feet. And your ears. Timing etc. Don't need two hands
for that :).

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Less is more. Having fewer limbs opens up new possibilities and makes me more creative. Once I went down to one hand, I then went to one foot, then I wanted to focus on the essentials and I play with just a stick in my mouth now. I am so much more creative like this. Plus, it's easier to roll around on the floor when I don't have any arms or legs. Drummers who play with all four limbs are trying to compensate for something.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Why not try to play whatever comes to your mind usually, and see how far you can
get with one hand?

Other than that, I think some coordination stuff between hand and feet would come in handy in the situation.

Also, you can always work on your feet. And your ears. Timing etc. Don't need two hands
for that :).

Absolutely, I've been doing lots of foot exercises! I have to say, my left foot has improved immensely!

Less is more. Having fewer limbs opens up new possibilities and makes me more creative. Once I went down to one hand, I then went to one foot, then I wanted to focus on the essentials and I play with just a stick in my mouth now. I am so much more creative like this. Plus, it's easier to roll around on the floor when I don't have any arms or legs. Drummers who play with all four limbs are trying to compensate for something.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I find that with only a trunk, its a lot easier to roll down the toms!