One handed 16ths on the hat/ride

Todd Sucherman demonstrates a great technique starting at 2:40 into this video -

Here's another one: At 1:07 Deantoni Parks seems to play all strokes with the wrist but there's an extra "push" on each quarter note to keep the pattern going.

I also found the Medium Samba on the Groove Essentials DVD quite interesting. Tommy Igoe plays the 16ths with a sort of sweeping motion going from left to right and he's changing direction on the 8ths.

I was going to post this. I'm working on this technique now.
I watched that several times, and still couldn't figure out exactly what Todd is doing. Just not enough close up or slo mo action for me to copy the "fencing" style he's showing.

That’s fine, he’s basically doing a very small French grip Moeller-type thing. I prefer doing a little more German grip on the hats, myself.
Yah. That’s cool. I’ve never had much of a problem myself with playing fast without much thought as I spend a healthy chunk of time on a pad every day. A wise man once told that when trying to figure something out just do what feels the best for you (that wise man was my drum teacher lol)

I watched that several times, and still couldn't figure out exactly what Todd is doing. Just not enough close up or slo mo action for me to copy the "fencing" style he's showing.
Just copy what he shows at 2:50... couldn't be much clearer. It's not like 'shooting pool' though, that may be a bit confusing!

Just copy what he shows at 2:50... couldn't be much clearer. It's not like 'shooting pool' though, that may be a bit confusing!
Thanks, but easier said than done in my case. I see exactly what he's doing but somehow can't get the "pool cue" motion going back and forth with any speed, although it seems more like a kind of bounce. I just can't Grok what he's doing when I try it myself.
I could really use a personal lesson on this-- 1 on 1, with someone who could actually see what I'm trying to do and correct step by step. Strangely my overall 2 handed single stroke roll speed is pretty clean and fast, but 1 handed I get "ham handed" with hi hat 16ths at a fast speed after a short time-- doing the up and down motion (as Todd points out).

I've also seen other Brazilian drummers use a similar techinique for fast 1 handed 16th's (on YouTube) and to this day, this has been my nemesis as I can only go so fast up (as Todd demonstrates)!

I got pretty decent at this playing punk music. Hours and hours of playing fast punk left me no choice. Your body will eventually figure it out. once the endurance is there I started working on technique alot more. Things like paradiddles, doubles, etc. really improved my singles too. At the end of the day, just do 16th;s instead of 1/8 notes. You may have to slow the groove down for a while, but it will have a totally different texture when you bring it back up to speed. Don't forget to work on the left hand after burning up the right too.

Back