One From the Archives - "Sasquatch" Outtake

zambizzi

Platinum Member
So, I was feeling nostalgic and started listening back to some of the recordings from my first band, "Mama T's Luvchillens" (long story). I have been playing for a little over 2 yrs. and when this was recorded, I was in my first year of drumming.

I was pretty proud of this tune at the time, since I arranged it and came up w/ all of the drum parts. I wrote lyrics to it but we never did get around to putting them to the song.

It's called "Sasquatch" and the song revolves around a Sasquatch who uses poor grammar and is generally very anti-social...also a long story.

You can file this under outtakes and what NOT to do as a newbie drummer.

- Don't close-mic your toms if they're tuned wide-open with clear Emps over Ambassadors.
- Don't tighten your snares to the point where they are about to snap from the tension.
- Count-off before starting a tune so you don't struggle through the first minute of it. :)

At this point I had really severe tendonitis, too. That's why the playing is so rough...yeah...THAT'S it! :p

Enjoy...

Attachments

razorx

Platinum Member
Your cymbals sound great. The toms are booomy. How come the guitar is only coming out through one speaker? Or is it just my computer?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Your cymbals sound great. The toms are booomy. How come the guitar is only coming out through one speaker? Or is it just my computer?
I think guitar is panned right and drums to the left...I record this way because I don't have a multi-track setup and this allows me to fake it a little.

Toms were too boomy w/ the close-mic setup. I have those two mics overhead now and it mixes up nice. This was recorded w/ a Ludwig Classic Maple kit I had back then, 22", 13", 16". The Black Beauty wasn't tuned very well at this point...after about 6 mo. I learned where the sweet spot was and loosened up the snares enough to give it some life.