On Line Profiles - What Works?

AZStickman

I have a profile up on Bandmix and am getting mixed responses (Pun Intended).... I thought I'd poll the group and ask two questions:

1.) What sites have you had the greatest success with as far as connecting with quality musicians to either, form a band, or find an existing band to join?

2.) What have you learned works the best, and more importantly, what doesn't work when creating your profile?

Thanks for any responses........ Terry

opentune

Platinum Member
1. Craigslist (can take awhile, many trials and errors)
2. I don't think you need a 'profile'. Just say who you are and what you want.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
1) Musicians Contact service. You have to pay to join, but the ads tend to be MUCH more serious because people paid to be there. That said, it's very Los Angeles/NY focused, and barely anyone posts from out side those areas. At least that's the way it used to be. It's been years since I was a member.

2) To the point. Not a lot of fluff. What do you do, what gigs you have done, who've you played with. Obviously a picture.

At this point in time, audio/video is pretty imperative. But keep it to your best foot forward. That time you played a bar that your buddy recorded on his iphone is probably going to sound terrible. i'd think playing/recording WITH people and not just drum covers is preferable, although I realize this might be an outdated mindset by me.

3) Online profiles have their place, and I'd say there are very important to have. But profiles into themselves aren't going to draw people in. You still have to get out there and meet people. Once you've met them, then you point to them to your profile.

Millions of people have profiles for one thing or another. Just having one doesn't make you or anyone stand out, no matter how good it is.

AZStickman

1) Musicians Contact service. You have to pay to join, but the ads tend to be MUCH more serious because people paid to be there. That said, it's very Los Angeles/NY focused, and barely anyone posts from out side those areas. At least that's the way it used to be. It's been years since I was a member.

2) To the point. Not a lot of fluff. What do you do, what gigs you have done, who've you played with. Obviously a picture.

At this point in time, audio/video is pretty imperative. But keep it to your best foot forward. That time you played a bar that your buddy recorded on his iphone is probably going to sound terrible. i'd think playing/recording WITH people and not just drum covers is preferable, although I realize this might be an outdated mindset by me.

3) Online profiles have their place, and I'd say there are very important to have. But profiles into themselves aren't going to draw people in. You still have to get out there and meet people. Once you've met them, then you point to them to your profile.

Millions of people have profiles for one thing or another. Just having one doesn't make you or anyone stand out, no matter how good it is.

Thank you....... Great info!!