OMG (Sorry I Just Discovered Billy Cobham)

aydee

Platinum Member
again, i know the name but not his works.

Would it shock the sex wax offa y'all to know that the Police once opened for Billy Cobham.

( True- The Bottom Line, NYC, circa 1979 )

..and yes, I missed it - Ther Police, I mean.

Didnt want to hang around for the opening act.. the ticket man at the counter said it was some Brit punk band.. so I walked around, had a couple of chilli dogs and returned to the closing tune of their set.

Roxanne hit the radio a couple of months after, I think..

drstrangefunk

Would it shock the sex wax offa y'all to know that the Police once opened for Billy Cobham.

( True- The Bottom Line, NYC, circa 1979 )

..and yes, I missed it - Ther Police, I mean.

Didnt want to hang around for the opening act.. the ticket man at the counter said it was some Brit punk band.. so I walked around, had a couple of chilli dogs and returned to the closing tune of their set.

Roxanne hit the radio a couple of months after, I think..

well things happen. i hate to think of all the shows i've missed. even when i had tickets. Joan Jett '82 car key broke off in the switch / parliament Funkadelic 1996 reunion of all original members and landing the mothership for the first time in 30 years Hurricane destroyed the amphitheatre the week before. i had 7th row seats. / unknown guitarist opening for the Pretenders 1984 playing between his legs, behind his back and behind his head and playing with his teeth. i see this on the half a song i see as i'm entering the stadium and finding my seat. as i sit down to see exactly what is going on here....the guitarist leaves the stage and the announcer says That was Stevie Ray Vaughn. oh well.....

but i'm enjoying this New World of Cobham.

more if ya got it.

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
Just hit youtube and watch his work from the 70s and early 80s. Dreams IS another aspect of his greatness. Being older now he has slowed down a lot. Some of the fire is missing. But he still commands the set when he's behind it. He's also a great accompanist. Just keeping time he does it flawlessly.

I first heard him late one night on FM back in the day. Mahavishnu Orchestra. Dropped jaw. Went out and got Inner Mounting Flame asap.

His work with Miles Davis is more subtle, owing to the nature of the music, but he can whip up serious jazz phrasing. Alongside Tony Williams he influenced drum set artistry as much as any player in the latter half of the 20th century.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I envy you. Billy was the first really great player I was exposed to as a young drummer. A drummer friend of mine played me some of his stuff and it turned my head around. It was a great feeling of discovery, the type of thing that doesn't come along that often!

Taye-Dyed

Yeah, that is a classic. Just pure joy.

I love Scofield doing his best William Hurt impersonation. Scary resemblance, right?
Now that you pointed it out, I see the resemblance. LOL What took me by surprise is the Keith Richards/Jimmy Page cigarette thing Scofield had going. I had never seen him like that before. The whole band had a very cool and loose attitude starting with Cobham. It is a joy to see and it nicely balances out the display of monster chops.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I went OMG when I discovered Billy Cobham with Spectrum in the 70's, I then bought many of his solo projects throughout the years. One of my fav drummer.

I met him in the early 90's... it was a disappointment though, it was so ME, ME, ME... still, love me some Billy, this cat is amazing behind a kit, not so much in front of you.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I first encountered Billy in the mid 70s and have been a huge fan since. His speed is crazy. Have to laugh at some of the haters in the comments on the first link. It amazes me how many people cannot separate style from the talent on display. I think that is what so many Travis Barker fans fail to understand.