Olympics Anyone?

MrPockets

Gold Member
I usually watch rowing since my dad "tried out" for the 1980 team.

I also like fencing, track and field, swimming, basketball, and volleyball. Most other events like target shooting I'll watch if I have nothing else to do.

IBitePrettyHard

I'll try to watch if NBC will allow watching through a browser. It'll be interesting to see if the life will be sucked out of the games since there will be no spectators. That's a big bummer for everyone, especially Tokyo.

Everyone is starting to realize that the Olympic games have been a huge boondoggle for most cities. That's why only one city applied for the 2024 and 2028 games (Paris and Los Angeles respectively). That says a lot right there.

But now it's even worse...because there are no spectators. Hopefully the watchability won't be ruined, without the atmosphere and drama of having people in the crowd to cheer them on.

s1212z

That's a big bummer for everyone, especially Tokyo.
Watching the games is the least of their concern. Their daily covid count has doubled in the last 10 days...the city is has been in a official state of emergency for the last few months. The people's health were sold out in name of politics, they won't even report the full number at the Olympic villiage. Meanwhile, athletes who have access to vaccines don't want to take them as this 'compromises' their training and several covid positive athletes have not followed the rules wander around the city. So it's more or less a cluster-fuck that is, unsurprisingly, highly unpopular.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Watching the games is the least of their concern. Their daily covid count has doubled in the last 10 days...the city is has been in a official state of emergency for the last few months. The people's health were sold out in name of politics, they won't even report the full number at the Olympic villiage. Meanwhile, athletes who have access to vaccines don't want to take them as this 'compromises' their training and several covid positive athletes have not followed the rules wander around the city. So it's more or less a cluster-fuck that is, unsurprisingly, highly unpopular.
So that's a NO then?

s1212z

So that's a NO then?
Well, it's hard to ignore and I checked out the opening ceremony today. But I was not in favor of them going forward months back but too late at this point. Then you have athletes who have train their whole lives to get ejected due to a positive test. I think the Olympics could have been really special, had it been done right. Even a month delay would have made a significant difference if they getting near 15% increase per month as Japan was just very late to distribute vaccinations. Also to keep in mind that Japan has one of the most concentrated elderly populations in the world which puts a super dense city like Tokyo in a particular tricky position.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm not really interested in the rest of it. I mean if people are/arent gonna watch for reasons other than want to, that's fine. I'm trying to put all the rest aside and just watch for the sake of watching.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

not a summer Olympics guy...but I am all over the Winter Olympics when they happen.

my dad was big into track, so as a kid, we would watch all of the traditional track stuff, but even that really did not hold my interest forr too long.

Iristone

Hmm that, and food from Fukushima without notifying beforehand, and contaminated water with excessive bacteria content ... Health-wise it's really disturbing.

Bozozoid

To this very day..one of thee funniest things I've ever seen is when this Olympic guy ran across the room to mount the saw horse?..with handles to do his routine and he slams!..into the end of it and powder just goes proof!..and he is down. I almost peed my pants laughing.

Al Strange

I used to eat, sleep and drink the Olympics as a kid…couldn’t get enough of it, my fave GB athletes were Daley Thompson, Steve Cram, and Tessa Sanderson amongst others. Lost track (and field?) of the Olympics back in the 1990’s but will still check in if it’s on tv. Don’t go out of my way to binge watch like I did as a kid though…those were great days! :unsure: :)

cbphoto

Gold Member
I usually watch rowing since my dad "tried out" for the 1980 team.
I also tried out for the 1980 Olympic Crew. I’d made it through the third or fourth tryouts (bouts on a rowing machine and running on an incline, both at 1900 meters altitude). I was shaking down family and friends for cash to get to the east coast training facilities when Jimmy Carter pulled the plug on any US athletes competing in Moscow. I was crushed.

During the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, the announcer for the Crew events was Steve Gladstone, my college coach. It was cool to hear him chat up things while the races were underway. He could see things no other announcer could (“The bow-man isn’t holding up. His blade isn’t under control.” “The coxswain is lost at the start! They may not be ready!”)

But no, I will not be watching any Olympics. NBC and their lousy presentation of the games only made my decision easier.

Hewitt2

With no spectators, athletes dropping out with Covid, scheduling due to time zones, athletes allowed to protest on the medal stand. BS. I'm not watching. I used to watch every minute I could. Opening ceremonies with no crowd. Felt sorry for all of the performers that practiced for this non-spectacle.

IOC rule 50 specifically bans protests on Olympic sites including medal podiums.

There was a slight variance of that rule for this Olympics where athletes can express their views in mixed zones, press conferences and during interviews, as well as prior to the start of competition.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The olympics have always had a political component which I’m fine with but now it’s more intentional exploiting/weaponizing for local country politics rather than geopolitical stuff.

I know olympians in US dependent on private funding but still pro sports in general I see as a business so a job and you don’t really have free speech or ability to protest at your job because you can get fired is the general rule. Seems that rule should apply to pro sports at least- nothing against any cause. I think politicizing anything spoils the soup.
Well I edited and caught myself this time lol

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I like to watch the top athletes do things I cant even fathom. Gymnastics amazes me, be it men or women. Divers too. Those folks have amazing control over their bodies.

Hewitt2

The olympics have always had a political component which I’m fine with but now it’s more intentional exploiting/weaponizing for local country politics rather than geopolitical stuff.

I know olympians in US dependent on private funding but still pro sports in general I see as a business so a job and you don’t really have free speech or ability to protest at your job because you can get fired is the general rule. Seems that rule should apply to pro sports at least- nothing against any cause. I think politicizing anything spoils the soup.
Well I edited and caught myself this time lol
But requiring athletes to stand and salute a flag during sporting events isn’t a political act?

Seems what we are defining as political is anything that disrupts the status quo