Older Yamaha Birch Custom Absolutes and Recording Customs

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've read that when those lines were being made at the same time,
they used the same shells and just had different hoops and lugs.

Anyone know if that's true?

Why would they not be the same shells ? . ...... I mean.. did you read somewhere that the specs were different ?

I believe that's correct. I've read some think the RC's have a higher quality shell (but I've never seen any elaboration as to why).

General consensus is the Nouveau lugs(n). I never dealt with any, so I don't know. But split lugs and die cast hoops on the Absolutes vs long high tension lugs and triple flanged hoops on the RC's.

I remember reading the same thing, but I don't know whether or not that was true.
Does anyone recall the price difference back then between RCs and BCAs? If they were priced similarly, I imagine they would have likely used the same shells.

I think the Hokkaido birch shells were identical but the hardware was different. I had a set with the Nouveau lugs and they were incredible drums.

My issue with the lugs was that they couldn't be finger tightened and I like to start there when I clear the heads. The drums were otherwise amazing. Incredible tone, attack and projection.

The Birch used was the same.

The differences lay in the hardware (hoops, lugs, lug inserts, a riser on the 18” kicks) more air holes, and expanded finish and size options.

This was especially so with the 2nd and 3th gen Absolute run.

The inside of the 1st gen Absolute was finished red on the Cherry Wood and black on the Solid Black laquer outfitted kits and snares.

Also the Nodal Point concept was introduced, and more air holes were added on the 3th generation Absolute line.

Last edited:
I owned a large set of Yamaha Birch custom absolute nuvo's from 2007 and and it was my understanding that they were the same shells as the recording customs.

I just thought it odd that 2 lines of drums from the same manufacturer used the exact same shells.
Not so odd. Ludwig had the Club Date center lug. Rogers had the center lug Luxor. Slingerland had the Swingster, Jam Session and Stage Band center lug outfits. Gretsch had the Playboy center lug. All used the same drum shells as the more expensive split lug kits.

I've got a maple absolute with those lugs - no problems.

The only issue I've ever heard about them is with the Stage Custom snares drums from over tightening.
Those are some kind of composite plastic lug though. The ones on the absolutes are metal.

I just thought it odd that 2 lines of drums from the same manufacturer used the exact same shells.
I guess they took the Harley approach - use the same basic framework/engine, and just make
models that look different because of what's added on to them.
The reason Yamaha did this was to make one line that gave people the option to mix and match woods, and give them more finish options, and later one lug options.

They've always looked like the same shells to me, just with the painted interiors on the RCs and clear lacquer on the Absolutes. With the die-cast hoops and low-contact lugs, the Absolutes are a more open tone with stronger attack than the RCs, which are a little shorter and softer. Both have the same wonderfully complex midrange and tight bottom end that sits them into a mix juuuust right.

I've got a great big BCAN kit that has been nothing but flawless the whole time I've had it. The lugs are fine, and I absolutely (heh) love Yamaha's aluminum hoops.

They've always looked like the same shells to me, just with the painted interiors on the RCs and clear lacquer on the Absolutes.

Early Absolutes had the interiors also.. both black or cherry inside.

index.php

qrry7pkcrfurzqorpnfh.jpg

i also don’t have many problems with the nouveau lug as long as it’s metal not plastic, the only problem being the impossibility of finger tightening. would prefer absolute lugs instead since the time to change heads is pretty much the same minus a few seconds and you get the added bonus of precise tuning.

I've got a great big BCAN kit that has been nothing but flawless the whole time I've had it. The lugs are fine, and I absolutely (heh) love Yamaha's aluminum hoops.
Yamaha's aluminum diecast hoops are awesome. I miss them.
i also don’t have many problems with the nouveau lug as long as it’s metal not plastic, the only problem being the impossibility of finger tightening. would prefer absolute lugs instead since the time to change heads is pretty much the same minus a few seconds and you get the added bonus of precise tuning.
I'm a tuning fanatic and the inability to finger tighten my BCAN's tension rods even just a little drove me nuts. I just couldn't get my fingers in there to even get them started. That really bothered me.

I use two high tension tuning keys on opposite sides, to replace the finger tighten routine.

It works great, and with the hook lug the time to change heads is cut by at least half.

The reason why they have a build in “lock” is to prevent de-tuning, and it does this marvelous. Really the kits and snares that kept tuning the best after all other brands I had.

The composite lugs could break when tuned to high. This was especially prevelent on the snare. They switched to regular lugs not long after.

Yamaha's aluminum diecast hoops are awesome. I miss them.

I'm a tuning fanatic and the inability to finger tighten my BCAN's tension rods even just a little drove me nuts. I just couldn't get my fingers in there to even get them started. That really bothered me.
Sounds like you would do well with a Sonor Protean key. It's the best for finger-tightening. Though to be fair I've got keys from DW, Tama, and Evans that all have knurled tops that means I haven't had to touch tension rod threads in several years now, which also means no greasy fingers!

Early Absolutes had the interiors also.. both black or cherry inside.
That's correct, but has already been established earlier in the thread by MusiQMan. Literally every other color offered (except vintage natural, which is the same stain/wax on the inside) has a clear lacquer interior. My Sea Blue Fade BCANs are clear on the inside.

Just looked up how they're built. They do look a little difficult to finger tighten, but I'd hit that.
literally impossible because they have an anti-loosening mechanism that makes the rod hard to turn, it always has friction and it almost feels like you’re cross threading the damn thing lol. since all kits with metal nouveau lugs come with die casts it’s not so important to get equal tension on every lug but it still bugs me

literally impossible because they have an anti-loosening mechanism that makes the rod hard to turn, it always has friction and it almost feels like you’re cross threading the damn thing lol. since all kits with metal nouveau lugs come with die casts it’s not so important to get equal tension on every lug but it still bugs me
I get it. I don't particularly enjoy using fingers to finger tighten my drums, but I just want friction past the point of finger tightening. Good tip.

I've got a maple absolute with those lugs - no problems.

The only issue I've ever heard about them is with the Stage Custom snares drums from over tightening.
Those are some kind of composite plastic lug though. The ones on the absolutes are metal.

I guess they took the Harley approach - use the same basic framework/engine, and just make
models that look different because of what's added on to them.
Premier Olympic drums used exactly the same shells as their top of the range offerings until the later 1980s, Tama Swingstar/ Royalstar and Imperialstar also shared shells for a good number of years. The only differences in each case were more/better hardware & finish choice.

Back