Older recording

Fox622003

Gold Member
I rarely post here, and I wish I could had posted some video footage for this one, as well as a re-recorded version (this is from last year). The mixing is horrible, and the playing is not really top notch, either (plus, I've made a couple of changes to the parts here and there since then). The reason I'm posting this take is because it looks like I won't be able to obtain the hi hat and ride combo I want anytime soon (playing with two 8" splashes as hi hats now, they sound really nice, though), so this is with my previous cymbal setup as well :-S, and I won't be able to do a re-take on this or anything for a bit because of this.
But anyway, here's a semi-studio version of a song by my semi-active band. Keep in mind we are from Argentina, so hope you don't mind the spanish lyrics.
While some of the technical shortcomings here have probably been corrected in the past year, there's very likely a lot that hasn't so go ahead and point out anything you don't like.

Fox.

Attachments

• Intereses Difusos - La Noche Va!.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 101

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Brave boy! & I'm glad you're posting this. I'm sure, for many here, there's a strong temptation to really dig into the detail of your performance. There's certainly the occasional timing drift, although most of that can be attributed to sync between your drum parts & the band (mainly vocals). You did stumble at 1:14 though.

Minor glitches & mix/sound aside, I quite like the ideas in the material, although the whole performance feels like a group of players trying too hard to me. It just needs to relax a little to get the band groove going strongly. Were these parts tracked separately? It has that disconnected vibe about it. If that's the case, it would be good to hear this performed by the band as a unit, especially with some gigging miles under the belt.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Brave boy! & I'm glad you're posting this. I'm sure, for many here, there's a strong temptation to really dig into the detail of your performance. There's certainly the occasional timing drift, although most of that can be attributed to sync between your drum parts & the band (mainly vocals). You did stumble at 1:14 though.

Minor glitches & mix/sound aside, I quite like the ideas in the material, although the whole performance feels like a group of players trying too hard to me. It just needs to relax a little to get the band groove going strongly...

+1 ... eloquent as usual, Andy.

Fox, both of our South American regulars - you and Ian - are keen on old style hard rock. I would have thought you guys would be more into the intricate beats of Latin music :)

I know that sounds like a dumb imperial western cliche - like Americans who think kangaroos hop down Sydney's streets - but I find it hard to imagine being surrounded by all those great Latin rhythms from birth and then gravitating to the simpler beats of rock.

Is it coincidence or is hard rock really big in South America? Just curious ...

Fox622003

Gold Member
+1 ... eloquent as usual, Andy.

Fox, both of our South American regulars - you and Ian - are keen on old style hard rock. I would have thought you guys would be more into the intricate beats of Latin music :)

I know that sounds like a dumb imperial western cliche - like Americans who think kangaroos hop down Sydney's streets - but I find it hard to imagine being surrounded by all those great Latin rhythms from birth and then gravitating to the simpler beats of rock.

Is it coincidence or is hard rock really big in South America? Just curious ...

Well, the three of us are Led Zep fans and also like the Red Hot Chili Peppers (as well as many other bands), but for this music, those two as well as a couple of national (hard rock) bands are our influences. Although we do vary a lot from song to song, I wish I had other recordings, since some of our stuff is slightly more straight ahead than this one, and others go into the domains of progressive music.
As for the styles, I don't think latin's ever been very big in Argentina, there's as much latin as in any non-latin country. Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Rock and Pop are the dominant styles in the bigger local bands. In fact, I don't think there's ANY mainstream latin band that you can hear in the radio, or stuff like that. There's obviously elements that creep in *some* (not many, either) of the local band's material. You can probably hear a bigger influence of that traditional latin american music in Brazil's scene.

Minor glitches & mix/sound aside, I quite like the ideas in the material, although the whole performance feels like a group of players trying too hard to me. It just needs to relax a little to get the band groove going strongly. Were these parts tracked separately? It has that disconnected vibe about it. If that's the case, it would be good to hear this performed by the band as a unit, especially with some gigging miles under the belt.

Yeah, this song kicks a lot more *** in a more raw, live setting to be honest. It's tracked separately, there's even some backup vocals by the singer in there.
As for 1:14, well, that's part of the small drum bridge in that section, and it's a 7/8 displacement that resolves at the end, I don't think it's really off; perhaps you mean the triplet in the end before the small snare fill? I guess that could had been a little tighter, but it all fits in two bars of 4/4.

Thanks both for the comments.

Fox.