Old Zildjian Avedis vs. Paragon Hi-Hats

Keyholio

Bass player & home studio recordist here and drumming newbie. I am in the process of upgrading my studio/rehearsal setup and maybe even putting some work into learning some proper drumming skills.

I posted about my initial upgrade efforts here under a different name, I thought "Keyholio" was more fun so I made a new account.... Which '80's kit to keep? I sold my little japanese stencil kit, and now have three kits, acquired cheaply and am assembling my studio kit from the best bits of each, and passing some other bits on to my church and selling the others.

I have a question about assessing the condition of my old Zildjian Avedis 14" hats. Compared to the Paragons that I scored, they sound washy and loose. I'm coming from B8's and I like the complexity of the sound, but it's hard for me to assess the condition and playing characteristics as a newbie. They are on an old heavyTAMA hi hat stand that has a separate tube for the spring. The paragons are on a DW3000 two leg. The paragons are crisp tight and light, with a great fusion-y sound. I dig them. I also dig the washy response and sound of the Zildjians. Is that how they are supposed to sound? They seem to be free of cracks or little flea bites etc. How does a newbie like me go about assessing their condition? Are there good videos about that? I know how to assess guitars and wind instruments, but so little about drums.

I’m pretty sure most of the difference is inherent in the cymbals, but the response seems so different on the Zildjians. Maybe I have them set up very wrong? Or is the B8’s weight distributed differently and I’m just not used to hi hats that move more? I have a lot to learn

My goal is to decide whether they are worth keeping as a different sound option.

Last edited:

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I know not everyone agrees, but...I feel like you always need at least 2 sets of hats. 1 for really quiet acoustic stuff, and one for louder gigs. But it depends on your gigs. If you always play the same style with the same instrumentation in the room, you probably don’t need an extra set of hats. And that sounds normal for those zildjians.

Keyholio

I know not everyone agrees, but...I feel like you always need at least 2 sets of hats. 1 for really quiet acoustic stuff, and one for louder gigs. But it depends on your gigs. If you always play the same style with the same instrumentation in the room, you probably don’t need an extra set of hats. And that sounds normal for those zildjians.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. The room will see my band (we have a top shelf drummer who's a serious drum tech who will likely bring his own, but I'd like to have a decent kit here for him for convenience.), me, and my teenage sons.

The paragons might be nice enough to keep safely stored and away from my teens and from my own learning efforts.