Old Yamaha Kit- Help with ID?

This was my first drum set that I got back in the 6th grade. I have never seen any drums that are like these, but from some research it seems like they may go back to the late 60s or early 70s... The snare I have in the picture wasn't included, but I still have the original snare too (it isn't in good condition). So Drummerworld, tell me whatever you know about my set- I'm trying to sell it soon to invest in some K Custom Crashes!

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

Hi,

They are probably 5000-series (Stage) drums from very early 80's. Can you give the serial and model numbers, plese? The first number in the serial defines the series 5 -> 5000, 9 ->9000 etc.

Try these:
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahadrums/drumvault/
http://www.drumarchive.com/Yamaha/

Also, this table might be helpful:

Dating Yamaha Drums

1980-1989: The first letter in the serial number indicates the year of manufacture; the second letter is the month.
Example: OL = 1988/May, OM= 1988/June. • Indicates research model or first run in production

H I J K L M N O P Q S X Y Z
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 • 10 11 12

1990-Present: Drums are coded with three-letter prefix on the serial numbers. The first two letters indicate year, the third letter indicates the month (1=Jan, 2=February, etc.).
Example: PPI=February 1999(PP=99. I=Feb)

1 = H
2 =I
3 = J
4 = K
5 = L
6 = M
7 = N
8 = O
9 = P
10 = X
11 = Y
12 = Z
00 = Q

You can always PM me on everything Yamaha.

The model number on the bass drum is the BD-552D. I tried to enter it in the drum vault but nothing came back.

So it's series 5000D.

I tried a search with number BD-522GA, which came around 1982 or 1983 and got the following result.

Model Number BD-522GA
Series 5000GA
Shell Material Philippine Mahogany
Shell Width 22"
Shell Depth 14"
Finishes Garnet Red, Deep Green, Jet Black, Winter White, Sonic Blue, Sunrise Yellow
Hoop Wood
Lug Chrome/ Split

The drum vault is lacking the serials older than early 1980's.

I believe the D is same stuff as GA, only slightly older. There might be some differences in the hardware too, tom holders etc.
Your drums might be from the late 70's. FIgure it out yourself using the table I gave you... The upper part of the table applies to most of the 70's drums too..

So they are a little bit older... Well, I don't think the table can help me. The letters that are on each of the drums correspond with what drum they are (ex. BD= bass drum FT=floor tom). But anyways, the drums aren't really some treasure, are they?

So they are a little bit older... Well, I don't think the table can help me. The letters that are on each of the drums correspond with what drum they are (ex. BD= bass drum FT=floor tom). But anyways, the drums aren't really some treasure, are they?

Well yes, they were entry line model and nothing expensive to begin with. Still I have heard some people get them sound nice with proper heads and tuning.

I know I see the serial number stamped to the right of the vent grommet - at least on your toms. There's the 2-letter serial number, which dates the drum. The number you were referring to is the model number.

Well yes, they were entry line model and nothing expensive to begin with. Still I have heard some people get them sound nice with proper heads and tuning.

I know I see the serial number stamped to the right of the vent grommet - at least on your toms. There's the 2-letter serial number, which dates the drum. The number you were referring to is the model number.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The serial on the drums are HM.

Hi,everybody :)) I have old Yamaha Club Custom and i need to know...

This is a serial number and i need indentification,please???

-BD722 KY2441
-TT710 KY2669
-TT712 KP2117
-TT714 KY2677

Attachments

• 7027_1220312620741_1016681515_30730885_4466468_n.jpg
    7027_1220312620741_1016681515_30730885_4466468_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 20,703
I'm trying to identify this kit I made a trade for. The badges are really hard to read. They all say made in Japan.

Bass Drum is 18x22 model number 88522 CL
Floor Tom is 16x16 model number PT516 GK
Large rack Tom is 10x12 - no badge numbers
Small Rack Tom is 8x10 model number TT510 GL
Snare is 6x14 model number SO255 (cant see the rest)

I will try and post pics but, for now any feedback or info on model, year,value is helpful.

Thanks!
Marc

I bought a set of Tour series from West LA music in '86, played them for about two years and then cased them (Anvil cases) and they remained entombed that way until two years ago! I believe the finish is garnet red? It's a deep red wrap.
Anyway, I contacted Yamaha on origin, etc, and hit a wall because the serial part of the badge on ALL the drums is simply "JJ" -- without the quotes.

They're Tour series, for sure. Looks like a birch/filler sandwich, I'm assuming with an Asian mahogany as the filler. They sound very, very good, and are within tolerance for roundness (no more than 1/16" out).

If anyone knows what the JJ stands for, I'm all ears. An owner of a Yamaha shop said he thought he'd seen that before on a non-retail kit, but couldn't confirm it.

I'm trying to identify this kit I made a trade for. The badges are really hard to read. They all say made in Japan.

I will try and post pics but, for now any feedback or info on model, year,value is helpful.

Thanks!
Marc

Here are some pics I just took of the set today

Attachments

• IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 20,004
  • IMG_1177.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 20,570
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 24,643
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 20,662

Thanks!
Marc

Hi Marc!

I am pretty sure the model numbers are actually
BD522
FT516
SD255
etc...

I would urge you to check the serials again too, because I don't remember seeing serials beginning with C or G. I think your serials must be OL and OK instead, which would date the set to April/May of 1988. That would also fit in with the hardware on the kit. The kit is the 5000 Stage series, for sure, because the serial number starts with 5. BD 5xxx, FT 5xxx etc. I am also pretty sure that your kick is actually a 16x22. In the red kit in the beginning of this thread the kick drum is 14 inches deep.

H I J K L M N O P Q S X Y Z
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 • 10 11 12

Cracking the code....
O-K - 8-4 - 1988/4

I bought a set of Tour series from West LA music in '86, played them for about two years and then cased them (Anvil cases) and they remained entombed that way until two years ago! I believe the finish is garnet red? It's a deep red wrap.
Anyway, I contacted Yamaha on origin, etc, and hit a wall because the serial part of the badge on ALL the drums is simply "JJ" -- without the quotes.

They're Tour series, for sure. Looks like a birch/filler sandwich, I'm assuming with an Asian mahogany as the filler. They sound very, very good, and are within tolerance for roundness (no more than 1/16" out).

If anyone knows what the JJ stands for, I'm all ears. An owner of a Yamaha shop said he thought he'd seen that before on a non-retail kit, but couldn't confirm it.

I have a recording custom floor tom that just says KL on the serial number.

i have a 5-piece set from what i thought was from the 80's but using the chart above puts them in at 1973?!?!

model numbers / serial numbers
FT816 C / NJ-3865
TT810 F / 00-2293
TT813 F / NJ-5969
BD822 F / NJ-3982

i'm looking mainly for the depths of these drums cause i'm needing cases (beato bags)

I'm thinking they are the Power Tour Customs but no where can i find the actual depths of them. are the 10" toms 9" deep, the 13 10" deep and the bass 16 deep? i've measured them with heads and hoops on but i don't want to get the measurements wrong and be out money.

...and what is with the "00-" serial number on the 10in rack tom ?!?! :)

thanks again for the help identifying these. (they still sound great by the way!)

thanks guys!

dude, i have. my request is annoying simple. all i need is the depths no doubt my TT810 is a 10in tom but no catalog tells the actual depth. I have pretty much figured out that i have power toms so add an inch?!?! i'm just looking for any concrete evidence of this fact.

i've been to the "vault" on Yamaha's site but as luck would have it they do not have any model numbers with the "F" in it - meaning power tour series.

I'm not sure why this info is so hard to find on the web but it is. I've stated my model numbers and serial numbers but no one on earth can provide the depth of a 10, 13, 16 tom, and a 22 bass drum from the power series.

hence my deliberate post.

that catalog you posted is great and DOES state the exact drum kit I own, but does it publish the depths? ... no it doesn't. not sure why, but it doesn't...

my main goal is to purchase cases (beato bags) for my drums and don't want to order the wrong sizes. plain and simple.

but thank you very much for your reply man! :)

Back