Old song samples from 1987...

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
This is inspired by Andy's (keep it simple) thread "Wow!" in which he found some old recording he played on some years ago :)

A couple years ago, a good friend of mine, Jimmy (RIP) sent me some old recordings (transferred to a CD) of "Compartiment Fumeurs", a band I played in the mid 80's, it's some nice memories for me.

I thought I'd share some song samples with you guys and girls, this is very old stuff and the recording quality is from an old analogue tape, but still, you can hear what's going on... all good and bad :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7XnkxMrd3I

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Awe man - I'd kill for historical recordings of this quality. "Good & bad" you say Henri? I'm failing to find the "bad" anywhere. For 1987, these are great recordings for something done outside of a high end studio. As for your playing - well - I'm more than impressed, but not at all surprised. Some great touches there Henri, even though you couldn't resist adding bass drum notes ;) ;) ;) Loving that 80's excessive reverb too, just adds to the dating.

Overall, you have stuff here to be really proud of. Not just your own playing, but time spent with such a collection of players. A right mixture of Steely Dan, 80's epic jazz rock, a sprinkling of prog, & a bit of Phillips creeping in too :)

Fabulous!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I'm failing to find the "bad" anywhere...
I certainly can...

...but time spent with such a collection of players.
These guys were real cool, one was a pro musician, the sax player, but the real talent of this band was the singer/keyboardist, he wrote 95% of the music and all the lyrics... and he was only 19 at the time.

...& a bit of Phillips creeping in too :)
Now you make me blush... thanks Andy :)

Good stuff Henri...
Thanks man, really appreciated :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
This stuff is from 1987? Pretty impressive. If you told me you just did these I'd believe it. I've always liked your playing and execution, and always have agreed with your playing choices, very mature, seasoned and elegantly executed. And your time feel is right in there. Very pro sounding drum tracks there Henri. I like how you are very secure with space, and don't feel the need to have to fill it up all the time. The things you do choose to play are high level and always well placed.

Hearing you play at the LDS....really can't come close to hearing you with a band. A place like the LDS can't show how well you treat a piece of music.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
This stuff is from 1987? Pretty impressive. If you told me you just did these I'd believe it...

Hearing you play at the LDS....really can't come close to hearing you with a band. A place like the LDS can't show how well you treat a piece of music.
Thanks Larry, you're too kind :)

... I agree about the LDS, I'm no David Floegel :)

aydee

Platinum Member

Groovemiester!

Agree with the comments. Classy, mature, clean playing at a professional level.

No surprise to me. I always knew you were a badass, Henri.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I certainly can...
Yeah, ok, the odd bit of micro timing & other small bits that are largely irrelevant in the overall vibe. Hey, this is a bunch of guys doing something with passion, & without the benefit of endless budget/retakes, producers, etc. I say it stands up very well at a professional level, never mind the actual context. Proud? - you damn well should be. This is 1987 FFS!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I'd liked everything I'd heard from Compartiment Fumeurs in the past. It's still the case - killer band. I'd call it 70s fusion rock crossover. The drumming is stylish and polished sounding, as required by that style (easier said than done) and some hot chops. The solo didn't sound like your natural habitat but you nailed the rest.

dmacc_2

Henri - this stuff is simply fabulous! The versatility and the musicality is just top notch. Wow! I wish my old stuff sounded half this good.

Magenta

Platinum Member
This is a real delight for me - I absolutely love it and your playing sounds exactly as I hoped it would - suave, elegant, sophisticated :cool:

Ça roule, ma poule!

(I know, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else.)

Last edited:

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Classy, mature, clean playing at a professional level.
Professional level? Gee Abe, thanks... I like you man :)

I can assure you that what we got paid in any of our gigs was not professional... at all :))

Yeah, ok, the odd bit of micro timing & other small bits that are largely irrelevant in the overall vibe. Hey, this is a bunch of guys doing something with passion, & without the benefit of endless budget/retakes, producers, etc. I say it stands up very well at a professional level, never mind the actual context. Proud? - you damn well should be. This is 1987 FFS!
Professional level again? Guys, I won't be able to get out of my computer room, the door's too small :):):)

...Well, I'm listening to these recordings now, and I can't help it, certain bits of my playing makes me cringe... I wish I could re-do the takes now...

However, yes, I'm proud of what that band achieved back then, also, you're right, this was done on a very low budget, the band's played live in a very small studio and we chose the best of 3 takes, no overdubs possible and no further mixing either, if you came to see us live, it's probably what you'll hear back then...

I'd liked everything I'd heard from Compartiment Fumeurs in the past. It's still the case...

The solo didn't sound like your natural habitat but you nailed the rest.
Thanks Grea, I remember you saying how much you liked CF when we met in London :)

Yeah... solo... not my forte... but still, I prefer to solo over music rather than doing a drum solo all alone, which I find a little boring... it also explain Larry's comment, I'm not that good when there's no music to play with... :)

Henri - this stuff is simply fabulous! The versatility and the musicality is just top notch. Wow! I wish my old stuff sounded half this good.
Thanks David :)

I still wish I could tackle jazz drumming as well as you do...

This is a real delight for me - I absolutely love it and your playing sounds exactly as I hoped it would - suave, elegant, sophisticated :cool:
Thank you Madge, I'm glad I didn't disappoint you :)

This is the kit I played on the recordings, a Tama Artstar Cordia with a Sonor Signature snare (Photo is from a CF gig)

Attachments