Old school pedals

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
What are #s 1 & 3? 2 is a Speed King and 4 is a Ghost.

The beater on #1 looks triangular at this point. Someone must have really loved it.

No Camco either.

drumnut87

Yep, It's definitely TAMA. I recognize the upright spring assembly, but am not 100% sure of the model.
tama imperialstar pedal :)

J-W

I had a pair of these tanks too. Tama King Beat. I tried everything to make these not feel heavy and sluggish, but to no avail.
I guess on the bright side, they helped develop my foot speed and strength at the time. Plus they were bullet-proof and folded down nice and flat for transport.
1623857335197.png

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I had a pair of these tanks too. Tama King Beat. I tried everything to make these not feel heavy and sluggish, but to no avail.
I guess on the bright side, they helped develop my foot speed and strength at the time. Plus they were bullet-proof and folded down nice and flat for transport.
View attachment 105402
I had a pair of these. The buddy I passed them on to still uses them. Like a Speed King but with more heft. ;)

J-W

I had a pair of these. The buddy I passed them on to still uses them. Like a Speed King but with more heft. ;)

.........and without the "speed". At least that's how it felt for me. I tried disassembling and re-lubing, but it didn't seem to improve them much. Maybe I had some setting wrong, but I gave up on them once I found the Pearl P-880s.

harryconway

Platinum Member

Attachments

• tama 6740 hi beat a.jpg
    tama 6740 hi beat a.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 11
  • tama 6740 hi beat b.jpg
    tama 6740 hi beat b.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 11
  • zalmer twin 1973.jpg
    zalmer twin 1973.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 11

J-W

Yes. Also know as the Tama 6740 Hi Beat.

I got a double pedal a little earlier ...... a 1973 Zalmer Twin

Oof, and I thought a single U-joint was bad. That flexible shaft had to have some serious lag in it.

Interesting that they used a narrower(?) version of the King Beat footboard on some of the Imperialstar pedals as well.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

beatdat

These are in a store, right?
I play modern pedals but I think the Swivomatic and Phonic pedals were pretty cool looking.
View attachment 105410

The Swivomatic is hands down the best pedal I've ever played. I'm looking to get a hold of one (my teacher offered to make and give me one with all of the spare parts he has lying around), but the clamp that connects the pedal to the bass drum hoop is hard to find.

As far as "old school" pedals go, this offset pedal I saw in a vintage drum shop in town is the oldest I've ever seen of its kind.

21:06:16 DW Vintage Offset Pedals.png

prokofi5

I was kinda baffled by that ghost and had to do some digging to find anything on how they work. Curious if it feels any different how they play?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 3