Old Pearl Export

WildBadger

Hi, so I’m new to this forum but,
I recently bought my first kit, an old 6 piece pearl export (I think from the 80’s or 90’s it has the box logo.) And I was wondering if it’s a good kit I can’t find much about the kit online and I thought the best place to find information on an old kit would be here.
I also saw a bundle deal for a Mapex Storm, it’s 1500 aud and I was wondering weather it would be better or worse than my kit.
Just inquisitive, cheers Wil.

IBitePrettyHard

My first kit was an 80s Pearl Export. I didn't care for it much. Granted it was heavily used by the time I got it.

Honestly, as your first kit, it'll get the job done. You'll want to upgrade in the future, but for now you can get some use out of it while you save up for a better kit down the line.

The Mapex Storm isn't exciting, even if it has more modern hardware on it. I'd keep your Export for now.

WildBadger

Thanks
My first kit was an 80s Pearl Export. I didn't care for it much. Granted it was heavily used by the time I got it.

Honestly, as your first kit, it'll get the job done. You'll want to upgrade in the future, but for now you can get some use out of it while you save up for a better kit down the line.

The Mapex Storm isn't exciting, even if it has more modern hardware on it. I'd keep your Export for now.
Thanks for the response, I’ll definitely keep the export, however, what cymbals would you recommend, I currently have some Kazahn bullet series I was looking at the Zildjian planet z’s what do you recommend for a. First time buy?

IBitePrettyHard

Thanks

Thanks for the response, I’ll definitely keep the export, however, what cymbals would you recommend, I currently have some Kazahn bullet series I was looking at the Zildjian planet z’s what do you recommend for a. First time buy?
I have no idea what the market in Melbourne is like, but if you can, buy used. You can get much better sounding cymbals that way for the price. Look for Zildjian As or Ks, Sabian AA or HH or AAX or HHX, stuff like that.

If you have to buy cheap cymbals like Sabian B8s or Zildjian ZBTs, they'll get the job done I suppose, but you'll definitely want to upgrade eventually. They sound harsh and tinny compared to quality cymbals.

I think Gumtree is the site in Australia? Let us know what you find and we can help you decide.

Frosticles

Silver Member
The old Exports are fantastic kits. Built like tanks & will never let you down. With good heads & tuning sound as good as a lot higher end kits :)

Mongrel

Silver Member
I picked up an early 80s second hand Export kit around 1992. Got it from a school where it had been subject to the abuse of students before me....lol.

That same kit has been in a friends home studio and best regularly by his teenage son and his friends since around 1999. Still going strong.

Your kit, if the bearing edges are good, will serve you just fine.

Spend your "kit" money on some new heads if you need them, a good snare, bass drum pedal, hi hat/snare stand, 2 good cymbal stands and throne. Go wth Yamaha or Tama single braced stuff. Used is fine if in good condition.

For cymbals-pick up some USED 14" Zildjian New Beats (or Sabian AAs), a 20"-22" Zildjian A ride or Sabian AA ride medium, and an 18" Zildjian A or Sabian AA med or thin crash.

A good foundation for most any style that will sound great for years to come if taken care of.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Welcome to Drummerworld, Wil

Don't worry about the Pearl. It's a great place to start. Like the Tama Imperialstar and the Yamaha Stage Custom, the Pearl Export has established itself as a solid kit that won't break the bank .... and is up to the challenge of gigging.

If you've got 1500 aud to throw around, you can get some really nice cymbals (as others have said). Buy used if you can, and your money will go even farther. A good set of hats, a ride, and one or two crashes .... and you'll be set.