Old man yells at cloud

Trigger

Is it just me or do these hihats sound terrible? I had paiste 101s when i started drumming and i swear they sounded better than these.

Well they sound great for that application in my opinion but I would never own a set like that because I think they sound terrible for anything I would play.

Sounds good to me on the main groove, but not when he gets busier. Those extra dry hats and cymbals need space. When you start whizzng and bangin' all over the kit it's just whssssssssshhhhhhhhh Pssssssssshhhhhhhhh.

I really like the trashiness when partially open. If I don't like a cymbal I'm probably not gonna get out of it what it's capable of. I say that because I've heard cymbals I think I don't like and then hear a drummer that knows how to use it to get the most out of it then it's like damn that's pretty cool.

This is not even a factory hi-hat set. He's playing a 16" Bryzance Extra Dry Medium Thin top with a 16" Bryzance Dual Trash Crash WITH an 8" Bryzance Dark Splash. So two cymbals on the bottom.

Within the context of "his sound" ...... I think they work very well (y)

Might enjoy them if I had a gig copping drum machine sounds with acoustic drums and cymbals.

I used to have some Chinese hi hats with Chinese script branding on them that I bought new for like $40 that sounded a lot like those. No need 3×$300 cymbals

Sounds good to me on the main groove, but not when he gets busier. Those extra dry hats and cymbals need space. When you start whizzng and bangin' all over the kit it's just whssssssssshhhhhhhhh Pssssssssshhhhhhhhh.

that is what I was thinking...I liked 'em closed, but the washy sound would only be good for certain applications

and I thought this thread was going to a summary of most of my posts :cool:

In the words of Hawkeye: “I'd like a dry martini, Mr. Quoc, a very dry martini. A very dry, arrid, barren, desiccated, veritable dustbowl of a martini."
“There should be dust on the olive."
Well they sound great for that application in my opinion but I would never own a set like that because I think they sound terrible for anything I would play.
Yeah. I think they sound awesome—although at least part of that is that I absolutely love Zack's playing—but I suspect if I were to play them in real life, I would not be nearly so enamored. And I'm trying to imagine the sound in the context of, whatever, "Day Tripper" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash" or "Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine" or "D'yer Mak'er" or "Exhuming McCarthy" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or something and finding it hard to believe they'd sound right.

Although I have been considering picking up a pair of Byzance 14" Extra Dry hats, so...maybe I'll find out.

I think I'm going insane. These hats and crashes honestly sound like the cheap pressed metal cymbals i got with my first kit 20 years ago.

I think I'm going insane. These hats and crashes honestly sound like the cheap pressed metal cymbals i got with my first kit 20 years ago.
rock band GIF

I think I understand what you mean, but for me somehow these manage to skirt sounding terrible and into sounding awesome. But I suspect it's an acquired taste—when I first started listening to Meinl demo videos 7 or 8 years ago, I thought I was being punked, they sounded (and looked) so awful to me.

Is it just me or do these hihats sound terrible? I had paiste 101s when i started drumming and i swear they sounded better than these.

I always try to defend music gear by saying something like, "Well, they would probably sound good in a musical context."

But no...they don't.

I'm glad that player is happy with them though.

I'm partial to my 1986 Sabian 14" flat hats.
Bought them brand new in '86 been playing them exclusively since. They cover any and all styles of drumming.

I like those very much in context - and he's one of my favorite young players.

However - I can't imagine those being a regular thing in my setup.

Back