Old lessons reinforced

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps an obscure pretext for a "night out" thread, but please read on:

Myself + Fired Up guitarist + partners were guests of Yolanda Charles at a Squeeze gig on their latest tour. I don't meet up with Yolanda often enough, maybe once / year, so this was a great opportunity for a nice late afternoon / evening hang, plus I'm a fan of Squeeze.

For those of you who haven't heard of Yolanda, she's a first call session bassist with a super impressive resume over the last 25+ years. She's currently a full member of Squeeze, but also of the Hans Zimmer live shows + other projects. She's a good friend, and a huge inspiration to me. Massive technical facility, yet zero ego feeding into her playing - she delivers exactly what the music requires, especially if brutally simple is the requirement.

I'm a fan of Simon Hanson's approach to drumming too, and I really admire his on stage interpretation of Squeeze material. He knows exactly what translates live & what doesn't - missing out any superfluous stuff, & that adds clarity / breath to a live presentation.

The full gig really drove home the important aspects of live playing - something I need to remind myself of constantly. It's not about what I'm hearing - it's about what the audience is picking up on.

Anyhow, here's a little clip of Yolanda with Squeeze, and a little further on, a fun tech screwup in Simon's solo slot - it happens to the best of us :) a few photo's too.

Yo stage wide 900.jpgTable 90.jpgYo + Simon group 900.jpgMe + Simon 900.jpg

Anduin

Pioneer Member
Yolanda Charles is awesome! I’ve never met her, but her groove (and more) is beyond amazing on her playing with (original Level 42 drummer) Phil Gould. And on everything else I’ve heard her do.

Andy: I’m so jealous you get to hang out with her.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yolanda Charles is awesome! I’ve never met her, but her groove (and more) is beyond amazing on her playing with (original Level 42 drummer) Phil Gould. And on everything else I’ve heard her do.

Andy: I’m so jealous you get to hang out with her.
Her playing is quite something, and such a wonderfully warm soul too - it's a real privilege (and a mystery) she regards me as a friend.

As for groove, she seems to pull it out of nowhere. Example, this little clip of a music show booth jam. Listen how she takes charge of the groove coming out of the glorious madness that is a Nicolas Viccaro impromptu solo, & the ridiculous run at 7:19 :)