Old Gretsch Snare Drum

Leslie Mann

Hi...
I just picked this snare drum up at an antique store. So far I have found a similar snare drum (see attached) noting that is says 1949 circa. If anyone can shed light on the value that would be great.
Signed..
New Comer

Attachments

Forgiven

Someone gave me one like this a few months ago. Jim Pettit at Memphis Drum Shop said they are worth about $100.00.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Check with forum member KONA, mate. He has a very similar drum. He's down with his Gretsch gear and should be able to shed some light for you.

Nice pick up BTW.....sweet drum!!

KONA

Silver Member
Leslie
The 49 Gretsch Parade drum is mine. I bought it on eBay a couple of years ago - I think I paid about $150 for it. The heads were gone but the shell was in excellent condition. I did sand the shell down & refinished it in Tung Oil.........the vintage guys hate that. But at least I did not touch the wood hoops. My snares were also in good shape and the throw-off is functional.
I do see them on eBay from time to time.........some in great shape. I see yours has the 50's/50's drum key. Mine has the holder but was missing the key.

I'd say at least $100 and maybe more for your drum. However, I have seen them go for under $100 on eBay.

They're nice little drums. I bought mine because it was made in my birth year......ya I'm old.

First photo was taken by the ebay seller - the colour of the hoops is more like what is in the last photo..........the seller's photos did not accurately show colour. All I did was clean the hoops and put some Carnauba wax on them.
Second photo after I sanded the shell
third photo is what it looks like today

Attachments