Old Gretsch Kit

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
So these showed up today. Most here are players and not collectors. I guess I am somewhat of both these days. About 12 of these kits made back in the day (I think more like 20) and maybe 10 examples survived to this day including mine.

This is pre restoration. Restoration will be just cleaning them.

Attachments

• upload_-1 (28).jpg
    upload_-1 (28).jpg
    359 KB · Views: 784
  • upload_-1 (27).jpg
    upload_-1 (27).jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 783
Right on! Do you have a plan in place as to tackling the cleaning of the hardware?

Right on! Do you have a plan in place as to tackling the cleaning of the hardware?

Yes I sure do! I have at this point a large collection of vintage rare drums. A lot showed up at my door in very rough condition and over the years I have restored many.

This one is rare as it was used in the Birdland jazz club in the 50's. One of about 12 and I think today maybe only 10 of these kits survive in this finish with gold hardware.

For that kit, I'd meticulously remove all the hardware, put them in a big zip-lock freezer bag with some silica packs, place them gently in the passenger seat of my car, and drive to PlatCo/RayCo where they will professionally refurb them for a fair price.

Yes I sure do! I have at this point a large collection of vintage rare drums. A lot showed up at my door in very rough condition and over the years I have restored many.

This one is rare as it was used in the Birdland jazz club in the 50's. One of about 12 and I think today maybe only 10 of these kits survive in this finish with gold hardware.
Good news, Airborne! Would be a pleasure to see them restored when you're done (hint-hint). :)

For that kit, I'd meticulously remove all the hardware, put them in a big zip-lock freezer bag with some silica packs, place them gently in the passenger seat of my car, and drive to PlatCo/RayCo where they will professionally refurb them for a fair price.
I concur, KK! What a great way to bring back the bling to gold HW!

Remembering Air's posting history, he has a LOT of experience in just having superb looking rare vintage kits lying around. I'm confident he'll call on his fairy godmother and make this one come to life as well!

Is that an old 'Birdland' Broadkaster?

EDIT: DUH! See you have stated that already. Great find! I'd snap that up also.

Cadillac Green! That's like the holy grail of Gretsch finishes. Congrats!

The finish is so rich looking! Lookin' good!

LOOOOKING GOOOD, as Freddy Prinze of Chico and the Man used to say!

I'm curious to see what the delta is between the clean finish, and the finish that exists under a badge or lug. From the look of the thing, there's zero UV damage... Though it's hard to tell without seeing the original.

Great job cleaning the thing up.

Here you go! White around lug outlines is just extra wax and not the wrap.

post-21377-0-40574800-1475671824.jpg

Back