old 2002 hats to replace pst7

davor

Hello drummer friends, this may be a nonsense question but I've seen a pair of Paiste 2002 "Rock" hi hats black label (possibly from around 1979), good condition at decent price. I currently have PST 7, I've had them a long time and wouldn't mind swapping them out. Do you think this would be a decent upgrade? Tempted to go for them, just wondered what people think. Unfortunately can't afford new 2002s.

I hear you on the price of newPaiste. Even the used ones retain a lot of value and are costly. So I say go ahead 👍🏻. They’ll definitely be a step up from the pst’s. If the price is right and they’re in good condition and you like the sound ,.... don’t give it a second thought. I picked up a basically new used set of red label 2002’s , 16 and 18 crash, 20 ride and the 14 inch heavy hats at a great price. The hats were virtually unplayed and sound fantastic 🙌🏻

johnjssmith

If the price is right I'd definitely go for it, the 2002 are a definitive upgrade while remaining in the same "style" of cymbals.
Be aware though that the rock hats are the heaviest 2002 hats made by Paiste, much heavier than even the "heavy hats", so only go for those if you're looking for heavier, more cutting, higher pitched hats, else it'll be best to keep hunting for a pair of used 2002/dimensions standard or medium hats.

Woolwich

Silver Member
If these are a good price and in good condition go for them as has already been said they're a definite upgrade to a fully professional quality instrument while being in a similar vein. If they don't work for you then look for lighter hats knowing you've got something quality and not common to offer as a trade or to resell.

Ruok

Silver Member
Be aware though that the rock hats are the heaviest 2002 hats made by Paiste, much heavier than even the "heavy hats".....

This is new information for me. Good to know! I always thought that the 2002 Heavy Hi-hats are basically the same as those that had the "ROCK" label added.

johnjssmith

This is new information for me. Good to know! I always thought that the 2002 Heavy Hi-hats are basically the same as those that had the "ROCK" label added.
Happy to help!
You can always refer to the attached spreadsheet (I'm attaching a zip since I can't attach ods files) since Paiste cymbals' weights are very consistent and have been so for all of their history pretty much.

Attachments

• paiste_weights.zip
    37.2 KB · Views: 9

Ruok

Silver Member
One reason that I was glad to know this info is that I have a "normal" red label 14" 2002 Heavy Bottom cymbal with no top. At times I use it to pair up with other tops. But I was thinking that maybe someday if I come across a 2002 Heavy Top at a good price, I might grab it. But if it has the "ROCK" designation on it, I now know that it wouldn't be the same as a regular Heavy, and I would prefer to stay with a regular heavy.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. To answer the original question, I think that Paiste makes superb cymbals in the less expensive lines. I own many pairs of hi-hats in the top ranges, like 602s, 2002s, 3000s etc. But I also have the old budget 802 hats that I really like the sound of and played out with them many times. I paid something like $60 for them. To me, the 802 hats sound like professional quality hats. I think the same could be said for the pst7 hats. That being said, however, the 2002s are an overall improvement, but just may not be the most versatile hats due to the extra weight.