OLD 1930s HH set-up - Thoughts? (Photos within)

P

Peedy

I have an early 1930s A Zildjian HH cymbal that was clearly used with a smaller pairing, something like what you'd see in the below photo. The wear pattern is exactly 12.25 inches across while the cymbal is 13.75.

Questions abound. What does a set-up like that actually sound like? Are there any benefits of such a HH combo? Been thinking of giving it a shot when I've seen a suitable mate come up on eBay but I'm not sure if I'd be gaining anything other than looking like some jazz hack from 1933. Cost isn't really a factor as it won't kill me to drop 100 buck if I think something good will come of it.

Pete

Attachments

• Ludwig.jpg
    Ludwig.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 168
  • CymbalWear.jpg
    CymbalWear.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 162
That arrangement would really eat up sticks.

Hmmm. hadn't considered that as an issue. At the very least it would require a notable change in technique. But I could live with a few chewed up sticks if it meant a good sounding alternative to the current 3 pair I use.

I've looked on Youtube for a video or two and have come up with nothing.

Pete

Max Roach used to use a 13" top and a 14" bottom. The main benefit is that you always get a great "chick" sound, as there is no airlock.

I have a pair of hats that I really like. The top is a 14" Dream Bliss top. The bottom is a 14" A. Zildjian from the 60's. The Dream top is about 1/4" undersized, so it's just enough to eliminate airlock. I love them. I know you are looking at 1.5" in diameter difference in yours, but you may not want to go that small. Your cymbal is 13.75". If your cymbal is light, use it as a top with a regular 14" bottom. If your cymbal is on the heavier side, use it as a bottom with a 13" top. That would be a better way to go, in my opinion.

Max Roach used to use a 13" top and a 14" bottom. The main benefit is that you always get a great "chick" sound, as there is no airlock.

I have a pair of hats that I really like. The top is a 14" Dream Bliss top. The bottom is a 14" A. Zildjian from the 60's. The Dream top is about 1/4" undersized, so it's just enough to eliminate airlock. I love them. I know you are looking at 1.5" in diameter difference in yours, but you may not want to go that small. Your cymbal is 13.75". If your cymbal is light, use it as a top with a regular 14" bottom. If your cymbal is on the heavier side, use it as a bottom with a 13" top. That would be a better way to go, in my opinion.

I think you're dead on and I'm guessing that's where Max got the idea.

I've played around with that but I don't think I have the idea cymbals to pull it off. The one pictured only weighs 500 grams. I have been a fan of Max Roach since I was a kid listening to my dad's jazz collection and that's been in the back of my mind.

The best sounding cymbals I've got that mirror Roach's set-up is a 15in 870 gram "bottom" and a 14in 725 gram top. It doesn't really wow me so I've never played it live, plus they're both pretty nice (read $$$) and I'm reticent to bang on them.

And come on, that giant bell sock cymbal is SOOOO sexy.

Pete

If you use a smaller hat on top, you can open them and hit the bottom one by itself,
for a slightly different sound, without having to strike from underneath.
I've tried a few variations and found them to be more of a novelty than strikingly useful.

Give it time they'll be some cat on here who'll want 16's on top of 18's.

Back