Old 14"x 13" Ludwig marching snare info?

GeorgesB

Any one here know about these drums?
Not into marching drums, but it came as part of a package of old drums and cymbals I just picked up..... cheap.
There is a date stamped inside the shell: Feb 1963, the outside of the shell is showing its age, no idea of the wood. I just took it all apart, cleaned it and put it back together. Doesn't sound bad for what it is. The leg brace has the Ludwig logo on it. How much can I sell it for (if anything)?

Attachments

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I don't think think that's a Ludwig snare judging by the lugs and snare strainer, but I'm no Ludwig expert and could be wrong about that. I'm sure someone with more knowledge about what it is will be able to help you out with more information.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Lugs look like Slingerland. It also appears to have stick saver hoops.

Not sure what's going on with the shell either. Looks like some patchwork inside and damage by the throwoff. I doubt it's worth very much. You might get more stripping it and selling the parts individually.

toonamike

Definitely not Ludwig. Check the 1963 Slingerland catalog found on drumarchive.com. It looks like a Haskell W. Harr model parade drum, but that wasn't available in the size you stated.

1573958096289.png

GeorgesB

Agree, the date stamp looks like Slingerland's, the only Ludwig ID is on that leg brace thing, which could be aftermarket. Having looked at Ludwig's 1963-64 catalog I could not find anything similar. The lugs are in pretty good shape, no rust or pitting, If they are Slingerland, I will most likely strip it and see if someone needs them, the muffler and throw-off look ok too. Thanks for the responses.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Definitely not Ludwig. Check the 1963 Slingerland catalog found on drumarchive.com. It looks like a Haskell W. Harr model parade drum, but that wasn't available in the size you stated.

View attachment 88490
That's close, but the muffler knob is in the wrong location. There is no vent hole above the throwoff either. And the snare side hoop looks like a batter hoop with homemade cutouts. They are way too small and round.

Looking at the first pic, the screw has a hex head. In the second pic, next to the square patch on the right, the rusted screw has a round head. I think this was someone's project.

GeorgesB

Absolutely correct, I noticed that both the cutouts for the snare straps looked kind of odd and too round. Someone's "project" describes it pretty well. Maybe the lugs are the only thing salvageable here. Oh well, it was basically free.....and I like old drums :)