Okay, Let's Concentrate on Singles

jazzerooty

I've worked my entire life practicing the rudiments. Sure, I've worked on single strokes. Who hasn't? But lately, I've been working on the single stroke exercises at the back of Ted Reed's Syncopation. Eighth notes, triplets, sixteenths, with all the accent variations, and playing the accents on various parts of the kit while feathering the bass drum. Man, it gets you in shape. Most of what you play on drums with be variations of single strokes. I'm putting a lot of effort into that part of hand development.

Old PIT Guy

I began with singles because I didn't know any other way (no lessons). That was great when Peart came along since all I needed was a string of toms and bingo! Much later on along the path I realized doubles were everything.

Old PIT Guy

That was great when Peart came along since all I needed was a string of toms and bingo!

I need to amend this to include drummer Gary McCracken, who I saw for the first time when Max Webster backed up Rush in a 1000 seat theater. Totally blown away by that experience, every band I played in for the next 4-5 years was treated (subjected) to descending fills down a rack of toms, and very often where they didn't belong. Good times!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yep singles and doubles-why Killer Joe (oops Stone Killer)-is so useful-just add the paradiddle. I work a lot on smooth transition from a single, double, or triple stroke roll. I don't think I've even used a triple stroke roll till the other day noodling to a drumless track. Clean fast open singles and doubles have always impressed me-Tony Williams comes to mind which many jazz cats play closed more buzzy rolls.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Stone Killer my Bad-I had a brain hemorrhoid. ROFL. I guess Joe is killer so it flowed.

TMe

Most of what you play on drums with be variations of single strokes.
After spending a couple of years going OCD with rudiments, I finally realized that I am a single-stroke guy, plain and simple.

The "rudiment" that I beat to death these days is the herta - in all the variations I can think of. And that's just a single stroke role with hiccups.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Single strokes are awesome. Everything is built using them or doubles. To neglect singles is doing ones self a disservice.

TMe

...lately, I've been working on the single stroke exercises at the back of Ted Reed's Syncopation.
I dug up my copy and started working on those. It has my notes penciled in, including the metronome settings I was using.

I gotta say, rudimental drumming is pretty much irrelevant to my kit playing but... I can play those singles drills more quickly and cleanly now than before I knuckled down and spent a lot of time practicing the rudiments.

I'm inclined to think I could have spent the whole time working on nothing but singles, and it wouldn't have been as productive.