Ok, who's playing over the festive season?

I have a jazz gig on New Years Eve at a local Senior Center.
It ends at 7 PM. :)
That leaves me the evening to do other stuff.
A friend wants me to go to an open mic at a club after my gig.

I'm busy this year. I had a gig last weekend with my "B" band. (By "B" band, I mean, it was put together at the behest of a female singer who is a headliner, and the rest of us are a mix of guys I have played with here and there).

Tonight I have a gig with my "A" band and then on New Year's Eve, I am playing with a band with one of my pld bandmates from years ago, and his wife, who is a pretty good musician (bass and flute) too. All this should help me burn off pumpkin pie and Christmas cookies.

Month started fine, 9 gigs with 5 bands in 20 days, but now there's nothing for me until Jan 12 (unless a last-minute gig pops up, which happens around New Year's more than you'd think!) I don't normally play on New Year's Eve, which means it's really appreciated that I can work if called. But I also don't mind staying at home, and not driving home after the gig with more intoxicated drivers than usual.

Bermuda

Oddly enough, I have a New Year's gig. A small one, to be sure -- me and a guitarist friend doing a little two-man show at a local tavern owned by a mutual musician friend and frequented by several others. I'm not really gigging because of sixty-hour work weeks and my master's degree work, but this sounded like fun. I remember last year I was one of the few "working musicians" in town not working on New Year's... now I am looking forward to it. Besides drumset, I'll have some hand percussion to the side, plus I'll be singing backup vocals -- definitely out of my comfort zone, but for this sort of thing it seems to work.

I'll send pics when the show's over. For all my working forum friends, happiest of holidays and please be safe.

Trio gigs with guitar,bass,drums at wine bars playing drums. I also play jazz/brazilian guitar with a jazz clarinet player as a duo. We have gigs at a mall and a wine bar. NOT playing New Years Eve though and don't miss it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone Here!

Last edited:
I've been out of commission for the past 6 months for medical reasons, but hoping to get back playing at church by mid-January. Last night I went to see my other band play (with replacement drummer). They played about 6 holiday songs - I had never played Christmas songs with them before. Obviously we play a lot of traditional carols at church. Sometimes those are some of the more difficult songs to play drums to, although they do provide opportunities for some unique percussion.

I hope everyone here has a safe and happy Christmas and holiday season!

I played my last gig of the year 2 weeks ago and have nothing in the diary, at the moment anyhow, until March. Jan and Feb are always quiet months for gigs here in any case. Haven't played new year's eve for about 10 years- used to love that as it was very lucrative and I actually, and unusually for a Scot, hate new year with a vengence.

The new band I'm in already have a gig for the upcoming festival season. we have one so far and hoping to get more before the start of the busy festival season. My band leader prefers play the festivals myself I really have no preference as long as we are playing anywhere and any place...

what are you up to guru?
Not playing new year's eve, despite the band being made numerous offers. We're playing this Saturday instead. less frantic than new year's eve, & just nicely positioned between Christmas & new year. This Saturday's gig has been booked for a long time. It's a good size audience (about 600), it's very well paid, we're very popular at the venue, & we get a nice meal + drinks thrown in to the deal :) The only bummer is, it's about a 90 minute drive, so very late home.

Easily enough gigs into the usual quiet months of January & February too. That's fun, but I'm hugely busy with our new snare range coming out, so I could actually do with a few less gigs TBH.

Have a fantastic festive season chaps, & enjoy your family time.

Fondest regards to all, Andy.

A couple of things are in the pipeline at the moment. But I have seen a drop-off in live bookings this year compared to 2011. The band has a regular gig with K&Q for their showcases, but thats it now for the rest of the 2012 diary which is handy for me as I have an audition the first week of Jan for another band, and I'm still getting my head around their setlist.

Last edited:
our bands take the last half of December off...we gig enough all year long that we take a 2 week break to recuperate. I just got tapped for another band (now 3) that is forming and we are starting our practicing for next years gigs. Hard to believe we already have gigs booked, but dont have a name or a setlist yet.
Merry Christmas to all the good folks here...peace unto you all!

F

No Festivus gigs here. Nothing till Jan 26th.

Quiet month this month over all - had a Birthday party booking on the 8th and we're out on New Years Ever also (both with one band, nothing with the other group). It's a smallish place outside Bristol, so hopefully not too raucous and not TOO late home.

Andy - where is that Saturday booking to?

Back