Ok, I'm not a drummer (yet) but...

felonious69

Seems almost like I started something I didn't intend to start. I just like to talk music, and really don't personally know any drummers. I bought a modest kit and seek information.
Over the decades I learned that if you have a question, ask someone who might help you find the answer.

C.M. Jones

We can bring a surprisingly civil conclusion to this dangerously off-course discourse by accepting the following distinction: "Favorite" and "best" are in no way synonymous. Your "favorite" drummer is the drummer of your choosing. The "best" drummer is a fictitious figure who defies cogent discussion. All exchanges that seek to pinpoint the "best" drummer are without meaning. The absence of meaning is the absence of purpose. And deprived of purpose, wheels spin endlessly to no avail. Why squander precious energy?

Last edited:
Seems almost like I started something I didn't intend to start. I just like to talk music, and really don't personally know any drummers. I bought a modest kit and seek information.
Over the decades I learned that if you have a question, ask someone who might help you find the answer.
Not to worry . Your good 👌🏻Ask away . . There’s often questions or comments and mostly civil debate that pop up in a given thread and sometimes wander slightly off course .
This is definitely the place for drumming knowledge and questions And music discussion . Great bunch of people with vast amounts of knowledge here 🙌🏻

felonious69

Since my favorites are those pounding type of sounds, I am thinking heads. I have Pearl Roadshow (because I don't have thousands of dollars). They are snare 14.5 x 5.5, toms 10 x 8 and 12 x9, Floor tom 16 x16. Kick is 22 x16. They (for now) have the clear factory heads . (Cymbals was my first course of action). I bought better cymbals, again, not top of the line, but what type of heads might help with that sound?

iCe

I'd like to think I am the best drummer around. In my dreams I've played big arena's, had fans, did DVD's etc. What? Dream don't count? Oh... :sneaky:

Since my favorites are those pounding type of sounds, I am thinking heads. I have Pearl Roadshow (because I don't have thousands of dollars). They are snare 14.5 x 5.5, toms 10 x 8 and 12 x9, Floor tom 16 x16. Kick is 22 x16. They (for now) have the clear factory heads . (Cymbals was my first course of action). I bought better cymbals, again, not top of the line, but what type of heads might help with that sound?
The standard heads on entry level kits are most of the time crappy rip-offs. You'll notice that if you slap some quality heads (Remo, Evans or Aquarian are the most suggested here) the sound of your kit increases. It depends on the sound you're after, but as general rule:

Open sound (toms)
1 ply heads on the batter and bottom side (Remo Ambassador or Evans G1)

A bit fatter sound (toms)
2 ply heads on the batter side (Remo Emperor or Evans G2)
1 ply head on the bottom

Low tuning and a big fat sound (toms)
2 ply pre-muffled heads (Remo Pinstripes or Evans EC2)
1 ply head on the bottom

If you want a warmer sound, go with coated heads on the batter side.
For the bass drum the most suggested are the Remo PS3 or Evans EQ3. Changing the resonant side is not always needed.
The snare is really what you prefer, but most uses are Remo coated CS or Remo coated Ambassador, Evans coated G1 or Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. Changing the resonant side is not always needed, but be sure you get an snare side head since it's thinner.

harryconway

Platinum Member
iCe breaks it down really well, for you. Those stock heads need to be replaced. At the price point of the Pearl Roadshow, you're getting utility heads. Essentially something to bang on. I'm mostly a Remo guy .... I'd go coated Ambassador or Coated Emperor batter, clear Ambassador reso. on the toms. Snare, mostly I use either a coated Ambassador or an Evans Genera HD Dry batter, clear single ply reso. On the bass drum, my standard batter head is either a Powerstroke3 (fairly open sound) or an Aquarian Superkick I or II (real punchy sound). On kick reso., a single ply coated or smooth white/ebony head.

Your factory heads .... cut them into Richie rings. Gives you another way of dampening your drums. Essentially turns an Ambassador head into a Powerstroke3, and an Emperior head into a Powerstroke4.

Roto Toms. Cool. 99% of them seem to wear clear black dot heads. I've got chrome on chrome (OG) in 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 sizes.

felonious69

This all actually started with COVID. I spent so much time going nowhere but work. All of a sudden, I had some extra cash!
I have never owned a drum set and until June, haven't even touched one in about 30 years.
When I got it set up, I was "playing" a little something and she came out of the bedroom...I thought the nagging was afoot, but she said "I never knew you know how to play drums".
Of course, when we met about 12 years ago, I found a Chumba Wumba CD in her stash, so...there is that (LOL)
Fooled her! so maybe there's hope(?)

Paul Blood

As stated already , lists are so subjective to ones own opinion and taste in music . That being said ...... The white boomer music sentence just sounds so wrong to me .

Seems strange to define a genre by someone’s age and ethnicity . Why not just say classic rock ? After all that is the genre , no ? You literally named the genre .... white boomer music 🤨. Do we start renaming all the other genres by stereotypical ethic/age titles?

So classic rock is white boomer music ? I don’t think white “boomers” own the genre nor does any other ethnic group own or define any other genre . I’m sure you meant no offense and I’m not offended , but......

I can’t help but wonder how this might sound, the offense that would have been taken and what would be said if someone defined a different genre of music using a different ethnic description 🤔. I think many different people of all types listen to many different genres . Just my opinion but if some things were reversed here , there would be a huge uproar .

The "White Boomer" comment made me laugh! But I would assume very few Black people were attending Led Zeppelin shows. Also if you asked "Black Bommers" who the number one rated drummer was, the majority wouldn't nominate John Bonham. I don't think it's a racist thing at all.... People's taste in music is based on a large part by there culture, community, and what their friends and family listen too. Not many musical acts are very racial diverse.

felonious69

I'd like to think I am the best drummer around. In my dreams I've played big arena's, had fans, did DVD's etc. What? Dream don't count? Oh... :sneaky:

The standard heads on entry level kits are most of the time crappy rip-offs. You'll notice that if you slap some quality heads (Remo, Evans or Aquarian are the most suggested here) the sound of your kit increases. It depends on the sound you're after, but as general rule:

Open sound (toms)
1 ply heads on the batter and bottom side (Remo Ambassador or Evans G1)

A bit fatter sound (toms)
2 ply heads on the batter side (Remo Emperor or Evans G2)
1 ply head on the bottom

Low tuning and a big fat sound (toms)
2 ply pre-muffled heads (Remo Pinstripes or Evans EC2)
1 ply head on the bottom

If you want a warmer sound, go with coated heads on the batter side.
For the bass drum the most suggested are the Remo PS3 or Evans EQ3. Changing the resonant side is not always needed.
The snare is really what you prefer, but most uses are Remo coated CS or Remo coated Ambassador, Evans coated G1 or Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. Changing the resonant side is not always needed, but be sure you get an snare side head since it's thinner.
Is this an example of what you were saying?
Evans EC2 Clear Tom Pack - 10", 12", and 16" Heads - ETPEC2SCLR-R
Sweetwater Deal zone $29.99

• 3-pack of tom batter heads: 10", 12", and 16"
  • 7-mil 2-ply film construction for durability and warm tone
  • Sound Shaping Technology minimizes higher overtones and enhances low-end punch

felonious69

When I first got this kit, everyone suggested cymbals as first priority, so I bought:
Meinl 18" crash
Meinl 20" crash/ride
Zildjian 14" Mastersound Hi hats
The (cheesy) 16" crash (Pearl) that came with the set was bent on the edge and replaced under warranty. They didn't want the bent one back, so I used some firm foam and a Dake Arbor press and somewhat straightened it back to shape (close)
Then I drilled (8) 3/16" holes at equal points (1 1/2" inch in from the edge) and another four at every other inch and a half in further and got some Sabian cymbal rivets (5 dollar and 1 hour investment) Actually sounds a LOT better!

Attachments

GOOSE72

I just skimmed this thread because I knew I needed to speak from my heart and not be swayed. I'm the best drummer in the world. Duh?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My Dad was the best Chemical Engineer in the world. Held two patents, both here and in France, but he made no lists. Was once included in the Who's Who in American Men of Science. But that's my opinion and my list.

iCe

Is this an example of what you were saying?
Evans EC2 Clear Tom Pack - 10", 12", and 16" Heads - ETPEC2SCLR-R
Sweetwater Deal zone $29.99

• 3-pack of tom batter heads: 10", 12", and 16"
  • 7-mil 2-ply film construction for durability and warm tone
  • Sound Shaping Technology minimizes higher overtones and enhances low-end punch
That's a pretty good deal! Around €25 if you use the current conversion rate, but over here you pay almost €45 for that pack (includes tax though and everything is imported from the US ofcourse which ups the price). Those kind of packs saves a lot of money instead of getting single heads.
The EC2's will last you a long time (unless you beat them senseless).

If you want to upgrade your cymbals, there are so many different brands, sizes, models, sounds etc. that it can be a whole undertaking to even start to explore all the possibilities. All depends on your budget though. Professional cymbals are expensive, especially brand new so a lot of the time used cymbals are suggested. Personally i'd suggest sticking to beginner or intermediate line cymbals when starting out. Until you feel comfortable and your technique is ok so you don't break them (yes, that does happen when you mistreat them), then is the time to sink some money in the more expensive cymbals.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There's reason those lists have categories and I still wouldn't care.

It's just a way to gauge popular popularity and there are ways to use this information.

It's also a way to make it into a sport and sell you magazine as some, mostly the younger players, react to this.

Yamaha Rider

I perceive no valid criteria to be applied to the formation of a best drummer's list. "Best" is inherently arbitrary, as would be any prerequisites we append to the term. If you aren't a drummer yet, I'd suggest starting your journey by dismissing all lists related to the vocation. They should be burned in a cozy hearth and forever erased from memory.
"Cozy hearth"? Cozy 'Powell', surely?

Last edited: