Ok, I'm not a drummer (yet) but...

felonious69

I look at all the "greatest drummer" lists, and they do vary! A LOT!. I listen to the drummers. When I can I watch them.
When I see a list that does not have John Bonham at number one, then I know that list is bad, faulty, INCORRECT. IMHO.
Why is there rarely Bill Lordan, or Carl Palmer included on these lists?
I was listening to Karn Evil 9 today....again and it seems pretty amazing to me!
I was listening to Robin Trower Live 1976, and pretty much ALL of Lordan's drum work there is incredible! (He really does love those cymbals)
Am I wrong?

When I see a list that does not have John Bonham at number one, then I know that list is bad, faulty, INCORRECT. IMHO.
Am I wrong?
Yes. ;)
Because there is no "best" in music - but you like what you like, so that's great. However, if you need a drummer to fill in for any conceivable kind of gig on short notice, you might call Steve Smith or Vinnie Colaiuta. Not my favorite drummers but they can probably handle pretty much anything.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Drummer lists are subjective. The #1 spot is determined by its creator.

If I see a list with John Bonham as #1, it tells me said list will also contain Moon, Watts, Ringo, Rich, and Peart.

Best and Greatest lists are nothing more than opinions put in a specific order per the feelings of one person. They literally mean nothing.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Well, Bonham isn't #1, so I'd say those lists are accurate ;)

There's a lot more genres than just Boomer rock. Now don't get me wrong....classic rock is actually my favorite genre, but I also realize that there's a shitton more genres out there than white boomer music. But even within classic rock, Bonham wasn't the best. Like you said, Carl Palmer is a pretty good candidate, but I prefer the likes of Ian Paice and Barriemore Barlow from that canon.

Now before people get hissy, I do like Zeppelin, and Bonham is a good drummer, but he's not a top 5, not even sure he's top 10.

(also....Bonham is just a rock-i-fied clone of Joe Morello....change my mind)

C.M. Jones

I perceive no valid criteria to be applied to the formation of a best drummer's list. "Best" is inherently arbitrary, as would be any prerequisites we append to the term. If you aren't a drummer yet, I'd suggest starting your journey by dismissing all lists related to the vocation. They should be burned in a cozy hearth and forever erased from memory.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
It's perception but what is the reality if we could scientifically measure by some means? You could create categorizes for most recordings, played with most artists, some major influence/contribution to drumming, how famous by accolades procured, how successful a band they were in, impact on genre of music, etc Then added it up and see who gets most credits. Course people with long careers alive or dead would have a numbers advantage (but not necessarily so). I could see it would be problematic especially when it's some orchestral percussionist who wins and all of us would be saying WTF?? I'd just leave it be-some things best left alone-most of the great drummers are dead would seem a true statement-we can add up great dead and live ones and see. On your mark, set, GO!

Auspicious

I look at all the "greatest drummer" lists, and they do vary! A LOT!. I listen to the drummers. When I can I watch them.
Why is there rarely Bill Lordan, or Carl Palmer included on these lists?
I was listening to Karn Evil 9 today....again and it seems pretty amazing to me!
I was listening to Robin Trower Live 1976, and pretty much ALL of Lordan's drum work there is incredible! (He really does love those cymbals)
Am I wrong?
Was it that version from the California Jam ? Seriously good stuff :)

felonious69

I did say "IMHO". Yes Ian Paice is awesome. I just got a drum set 'bout a month ago, and I found this forum. I like that I have already gotten valuable information from questions I asked as well as asked by others. For instance, last night I found Stick Control, not the ability, the text.
I will be investigating this.
Bought myself a pad (as was suggested).
"Heard" a couple good jokes here too.
I like this forum.

felonious69

I do realize these lists can tend to be as viable as "America's Funniest Videos". IMHO mostly not very funny, generally.
I Also don't believe everything I see on Youtube.

TK-421

Any list with Bonham in the top spot was obviously not written by a drummer. Nothing against Bonham, it's just that drummers will be familiar with MANY more drummers than any non-drummer would be. And while JB was obviously great for Led Zeppelin, it's not like he's the most versatile drummer in the world.

Same could be said for Neil, Moon, etc.

felonious69

I guess I was wondering why, in said genre, Lordan, Palmer and Paice, and I'm sure several others always seem to be overlooked. As far as Neil Peart, yeah he was great! I've never even had an apartment even close to as big as his set! (And Neil doesn't get overlooked).
All of this, one of the reasons I ask those more "in-the know"...why I'm here.

ToneT

Readers polls, critics polls, whatever! Sometimes the "best" is merely "most-popular"
Felonious, your road to discovery is just beginning. You are going to discover many outstanding players in various genres.
Don't dwell on lists as much. Keep your eyes and ears open.

felonious69

And yet , still not a positive word about Lordan...Seems pretty freaking good to me
Probably would have never heard of Lordan, had I not initially started on guitar way back then, seeing as Robin Trower gets overlooked too by the guitarists.
Had a "chat" on a different thread about favorite movies...Mine are different, because they are mine. Don't remember who said Ninth gate, but I did watch it that night. Good movie.

Well, Bonham isn't #1, so I'd say those lists are accurate ;)

There's a lot more genres than just Boomer rock. Now don't get me wrong....classic rock is actually my favorite genre, but I also realize that there's a shitton more genres out there than white boomer music. But even within classic rock, Bonham wasn't the best. Like you said, Carl Palmer is a pretty good candidate, but I prefer the likes of Ian Paice and Barriemore Barlow from that canon.

Now before people get hissy, I do like Zeppelin, and Bonham is a good drummer, but he's not a top 5, not even sure he's top 10.

(also....Bonham is just a rock-i-fied clone of Joe Morello....change my mind)
As stated already , lists are so subjective to ones own opinion and taste in music . That being said ...... The white boomer music sentence just sounds so wrong to me .

Seems strange to define a genre by someone’s age and ethnicity . Why not just say classic rock ? After all that is the genre , no ? You literally named the genre .... white boomer music 🤨. Do we start renaming all the other genres by stereotypical ethic/age titles?

So classic rock is white boomer music ? I don’t think white “boomers” own the genre nor does any other ethnic group own or define any other genre . I’m sure you meant no offense and I’m not offended , but......

I can’t help but wonder how this might sound, the offense that would have been taken and what would be said if someone defined a different genre of music using a different ethnic description 🤔. I think many different people of all types listen to many different genres . Just my opinion but if some things were reversed here , there would be a huge uproar .

Last edited:
Readers polls, critics polls, whatever! Sometimes the "best" is merely "most-popular"
Felonious, your road to discovery is just beginning. You are going to discover many outstanding players in various genres.
Don't dwell on lists as much. Keep your eyes and ears open.

I’ve just started my journey as well! Yes the “road to discovery“ is eye and ear opening.

After playing guitar, keyboards for 50 years I’ve even found that I listen to music from a completely different perspective. Suddenly, I‘m very aware and actively listening to timing, rhythm and drummers. Not who the drummer is, more so what and the techniques they employ.

Invigorating, intimidating and at the same time so much to absorb and learn. Best part is I’m having fun, and making gains. It will be a long road, but very much worth the price of admission.

felonious69

I am also over 50...by five. With playing guitar and (somewhat) bass (I got a bass to help get my fingers back after some hand damage) . I found it easier to deal with talking myself into the work when I like what I hear. I like what I like and that motivates me.
I realize there is a beginning as there is with everything. I also like to do things right (my job for instance) because if I am wrong (at work), equipment and/or people get damaged.
I have been reading posts about "weak hand" and other subjects and am trying to learn, MAINLY because music is fun! I doubt I will be playing arenas, but with guitar, I have been accused of being good.
The way these particular dudes play drums pounds on my heart and I like that.

felonious69

I have always been classic rock/acid rock, but to this day, one of the coolest guitar "excursions" I have ever seen and heard was Roy Clark, on an Ovation acoustic on some country show WAY back in the 70's. It was Phenomenal! I WISH I had a tape of that.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Seems strange to define a genre by someone’s age and ethnicity .
<parody>

That Einstein... He was a OK physicist I guess, if you're in to white-greatest-generation relativity and gravitation. There's an entire world of quantum physics out there that he completely didn't understand. I think that John Bardeen would be a much better candidate....

SF, that's you. That's how you sound.

Last edited: