Ok, I get it now (Ludwig content)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I FINALLY got to go to Fork Drum Closet this past weekend, and the best-sounding kit in the place (to my ears) is this big, pink monstrosity:

• 14x24 Bass Drum
  • 16x18 Floor Tom
  • 16x16 Floor Tom
  • 9x13 Mounted Tom

I don't like the finish, but I made the mistake of this being the first kit I played. Clear Ludwig heads on batters and resos, and tuned to perfection. These things are incredible! I like a muffled kick drum, and this one wasn't muffled at all, but it sounded great out front. I think an Emad and a pillow would work wonders for it (but it still sounded great). I played several other kits, and this one stood out the most to me.

I really wish I could justify having a set of Ludwig Classic Maples in these sizes, but I can't. I play a lot, but I couldn't get these drums into about 90% of the places I play, so I'll just stick with my 20" x 14" Classic Maple kick/set. I can't get the sound from the drums out of my head. They sounded so incredible.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

love to see them "coming back" with some great sounding stuff!!

I could take that color in a very small dose...like a popcorn snare, or maybe alternate snare on the side

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
And just to be clear, drums will always sound their best in a real drum shop. It's rare that kits and snares will be tuned well in the chain stores. Fork's is one of the great shops in the States, run by dedicated, experienced drummers who care how the drums sound.

Yeah, not a fan of the pink sparkle either. I wonder how it would go over with Nashville drummers. :O

Bermuda

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
And just to be clear, drums will always sound their best in a real drum shop. It's rare that kits and snares will be tuned well in the chain stores. Fork's is one of the great shops in the States, run by dedicated, experienced drummers who care how the drums sound.

Yeah, not a fan of the pink sparkle either. I wonder how it would go over with Nashville drummers. :O

Bermuda
This is the first drum store I've ever been in ever. I wish they were closer!

I bet that set will go on sale at some point. I bet resale on those will be horrid.

I think that 18" floor tom must be a special order. The whole kit sounds like thunder.

Just found them on eBay.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Martin, you said that this was your first time in a drum shop, ever. Wow. You're putting us on, right?

How is that even possible for a drummer?

I'm having a hard time imagining that.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Martin, you said that this was your first time in a drum shop, ever. Wow. You're putting us on, right?

How is that even possible for a drummer?

I'm having a hard time imagining that.
Yes, my first time in a drum shop. Ever.

I've only been in the presence of maybe 2-3 other Ludwig Classic Maple kits, and I bought one of them. Never played a Gretsch USA, Pearl Masters, and whatever they have there until this past week. I'd never seen Copper Phonic in person or 99% of the other stuff they had there. I've lived a very sheltered life in terms of drum gear, but it's not by my choice.

See, I grew up an live in BFE in the foothills of NC. I've never been anywhere much. Heck, I've only flown on a plane twice in my life, and the first time I flew I was well into my 30s. I bet Forks IS the closest drums-only shop, and it's a 6-7 hour drive. I've been in plenty of music stores, but never into a drum shop. I've been working since I was 15 years old, so my last summer off was when I was 14, so it's not like I have a ton of time to go anywhere. I'm totally self-taught because there were absolutely no drum teachers within probably a 50-mile radius. Plus, I probably couldn't afford them anyways. You know that song "Rednecker" by Hardy? Well, I'm living it with just about everyone I work with and know these days.

I loved Forks though, and I plan on going back sometime this spring. This time, I'm bringing my wife with me to Nashville, and we are going to go watch bands for 3-4 nights the way I did last week. It was so much fun, and I can't wait to get back there.

basset52

I was fortunate enough to get to Forks for 4 hours when I visited your country 3 years ago ( My wife and daughter were shopping!) The staff were outstanding. When I asked a staff member could I look at some kits, even though he knew I wouldn't be buying,as I was from Oz, he came back with a pair of sticks and said " play on anything you want" . Like you I loved going into all the bars listening to the bands each night.

incrementalg

Gold Member

I've only been in the presence of maybe 2-3 other Ludwig Classic Maple kits, and I bought one of them. Never played a Gretsch USA, Pearl Masters, and whatever they have there until this past week. I'd never seen Copper Phonic in person or 99% of the other stuff they had there. I've lived a very sheltered life in terms of drum gear, but it's not by my choice.

See, I grew up an live in BFE in the foothills of NC. I've never been anywhere much. Heck, I've only flown on a plane twice in my life, and the first time I flew I was well into my 30s. I bet Forks IS the closest drums-only shop, and it's a 6-7 hour drive. I've been in plenty of music stores, but never into a drum shop. I've been working since I was 15 years old, so my last summer off was when I was 14, so it's not like I have a ton of time to go anywhere. I'm totally self-taught because there were absolutely no drum teachers within probably a 50-mile radius. Plus, I probably couldn't afford them anyways. You know that song "Rednecker" by Hardy? Well, I'm living it with just about everyone I work with and know these days.

I loved Forks though, and I plan on going back sometime this spring. This time, I'm bringing my wife with me to Nashville, and we are going to go watch bands for 3-4 nights the way I did last week. It was so much fun, and I can't wait to get back there.
That’s what I love about Nashville...the ability to catch great bands pretty much any night. (At least the nights I’ve been there)
Haven’t been to Forks but I have been to Dales and DCP. It makes a world of difference to hear drums set up and tuned by pros. Especially helpful when you think you love a drum or drums then find they’re not doing it for you

IBitePrettyHard

I can't get the sound from the drums out of my head. They sounded so incredible.
I too cannot get the sound of a Classic Maple 16" floor tom out of my head. Played it at Guitar Center and it sounded sooo good. The most satisfying rumble I've ever heard! It was part of a green sparkle 26/13/16 kit I believe.

@larryace I've been drumming over 30 years and haven't set foot in a drum shop either. They're quite rare if you think about it. The closest drum-only store (that I know of) is at least a 10-hour drive from my location in Virginia.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member

No, your closest drums-only shop is going to be 2112 Percussion in Raleigh. I got my first hi-hats and crash there, and I still visit when I’m in the Triangle area. Although I bet you don’t get to the Triangle much, right? Lol

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
No, your closest drums-only shop is going to be 2112 Percussion in Raleigh. I got my first hi-hats and crash there, and I still visit when I’m in the Triangle area. Although I bet you don’t get to the Triangle much, right? Lol
2112 is great. I'm lucky enough to only be an hour away and for being a fairly small shop, they really have pretty much everything you might be looking for.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Not to hijack the thread, but:

I grew up an live in BFE in the foothills of NC. I've never been anywhere much. Heck, I've only flown on a plane twice in my life, and the first time I flew I was well into my 30s. I bet Forks IS the closest drums-only shop, and it's a 6-7 hour drive.
2112 Percussion in Raleigh is great. I live about 45 min. east in Wilson. Large, wide selection and very knowledgeable staff. 💯

Edit: I didn't see Push Pull's post before I posted this. :)

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Not to hijack the thread, but:

2112 Percussion in Raleigh is great. I live about 45 min. east in Wilson. Large, wide selection and very knowledgeable staff. 💯

Edit: I didn't see Push Pull's post before I posted this. :)
The last time I was there, I talked to one of the staff. His dad was a violist in the NC Symphony, and he studied with Jim Chapin a lot. He tours a lot with a big band. Nice guy.