Ok, how many of you have "unsuspended" your floor toms?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I know that the idea of suspended floor toms has come and gone a few times, but for me, I seem to remember a lot of them in the mid-to-late 1990s on mid-to-upper line sets. I have a set which was built during this time, and the 14" and 16" toms came with the RIMS-type mounts. I really like them, but the ball-and-socket bracket would wear out over time because those drums were so heavy. In addition, if I left a drum kit set up over time, they would start to sag...especially if it got played a lot.

I ended up getting a couple of those "suspension baskets" (I don't know what they are called) for my 14" and 16" floor toms. I think they look cool, but they do add quite a bit of weight (but I don't have to move these around, so it's not a big deal). I liked watching my suspended floor toms bounce around a little while I played (it's silly, I know), but I like the stability and consistency of legs now.

Anyone else out there convert your floor tom from suspended to traditional legs?

Mongrel

Silver Member
i removed the Starcast mounts off of my 14" and 16" toms and installed legs on both. (I kept the Starmount diecast rims on though).

Zero regrets so far.

Several advantages-

*More flexibility in my setup.
*Able to replace double braced cymbal stand and tom holder with a single lightweight cymbal stand.
*No fear of ball mount slippage (although the Tama ball mounts are very good)
*able to mount a ride cymbal on a boom on my bass drum tom holder eliminating a cymbal stand base altogether.
*Not enough discernible difference in tone or resonance to bother me.

For me, growing up with floor tom legs, it just feels better and more natural. But I certainly wouldn't try and convert anyone who disagrees. Lol

calan

Silver Member
I took the optimount off of my 'floor tom' this summer and drilled leg mounts.

No cons to me. Does it sound different? Maybe. It certainly doesn't sound bad.

The pros are that I don't need the heavy stand it used to be mounted on, it speeds up set up time, and it's more flexible for jam nights/kit share situations.

mrmike

Silver Member
I put legs on my dw collectors 14 and 16 floor toms. The 14 depth is 11 inches which to me looks a bit odd with legs. The 16 looks normal. I don't mind a bit less resonance from the floor toms but really I don't notice any drastic change in sound.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Running must have been a bitch!

Sorry, this just sounded funny to me :)
I went to school with a few girls that had floor tom legs. Olive Oyl like.

I have seen many large hung toms and I dont like the shaking.

Last edited:

trickg

Silver Member
In some ways I think that the whole mounting thing is much ado about nothing. A friend of mine has an older Yamaha Recording Custom with tom mounts right on the shell, and those drums sound more than fine.

With all of that being said, I built a 16" floor tom to match my Pearl SMX Session Custom kit. As a shell pack, it came with 10, 12 and a 14 inch "fusion" sized toms, and I never felt like I got the kind of depth out of the 14x11 tom that I wanted. It was going to cost me a fortune and a long wait time to order a 16" because by then it was long since discontinued from regular production, so I built my own.

It still cost more than it could have because I went out of my way to get matching lugs, but I also ordered matching floor tom brackets and legs with the suspension feet. This drum sounds fantastic and no one has any clue from either the finish or the sound that it's not part of the original kit.

Getting back to the subject, IMO, if you go with the Pearl air suspension feet that will fit 3/8" floor tom legs, or the Gibraltar Floating tom feet that fit 10.5 mm legs, you'll be fine.

jdhardrummer

The maneuverability and stability benefits of legs far outweighed any imperceptible difference of the suspension mount; never looked back once I got them legs on there.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Had the floating FTs on my PDPs. Didn’t like having to be tied to a cymbal stand. They were tough to move and adjust. They never really stayed put either, so I ended up drilling them for legs and then wondered why I put up with that for so long. Never noticed any difference in tone or sustain. My Brooklyn’s came with probably the most overbuilt and have FT legs in the industry and neither the 14 or 16 have any trouble ringing till tomorrow.

Groov-E

Silver Member
Much has been said about this already so I'll just add my voice on the practical aspect of things having owned both types of FTs :

1- 6 FT legs are lighter and take up less space than a bulky stand capable of handling 2 FTs;

2- The shaking is not enough to make one loses composure, but it is noticeable;

3- Extra care is required as FTs are heavier than tom-toms, and they pack a swing when sweaty hands slip during installation. I can still hear the hard knocks of the FTs slamming against each other, followed by the sad realization of chrome pitting and shells dinging.

For theses reasons, I prefer legs but this is not about me.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I had 14" and 16" mounted toms on my Yamaha kit, and converted the 16" to a floor tom. It sounds great, and I love the flexibility. I ordered the conversion at the same time as putting together my rehabbed Ludwig Standards; in retrospect, I should have ordered another set for my 14" tom. I use it often with the house drumset at church and it's a pain to get it clamped to a stand in the tight quarters.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Just as we can blame Hal Blaine for the Octa Plus, we can blame Steve Gadd for hanging floor toms. I’ll never forgive him.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I did convert my 14 and 16 hanging toms. It cost me a lot but the big advantage of my kit is that it's totally reversible, no drilling needed, I just bought the original clamps to add to the existing one.
The move is more due to the fact that I don't like that much playing with two floors, and for practical needs, in small venue, the 2 down kit wasn't ideal at all. Though I really liked the sound, which seemed better suspended than on legs, I think it was the cleverest thing to do for my use, since I play one down 99% of the time.
I wouldn't have made the move if I had had to drill the shells.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I had a 14 X 14 FT with a suspension mount and it bounced around quite a bit. Put legs on it and liked it a lot more. Smaller toms in F.A.S.T. sizes might be OK

gish

I have an older Yamaha Stage Custom with 1 piece lugs that had a suspended 12x14 floor tom. Left it as is for a while, but drilled and mounted floor tom brackets a few months back. Easy job and I much prefer the drum with legs. Negligible difference in sound.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I’ve drilled holes and mounted legs on my 1990’s Premier 14” tom. Much happier now - Easier to set up, move it where I want, and good for variable setups where I may not have a cymbal stand nearby.

Added bonus, I can lean on it when I stand up, which is great during long, late night gigs.

motleyh

I have wonderful set of the old Yamaha Maple Customs (8, 10, 12, 14, 20) that I love, but I hate hanging floor toms. I used to hang floor toms back when I used a rack, but now it means another massive stand, which I just refuse to do. I'm hesitant to drill for legs only because I know I'll sell the kit at some point, and although putting legs on it would increase the usability it might hurt the value to a collector-type buyer.

So I cut down a lightweight snare stand and let the tom sit loosely in it. Works great, sounds great, easy transport and fast setup.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Am I the only one to have the impression that the sound was a bit better while the toms were hanged ? There was a communication between the 14 & the 16 that made a bigger sound, and the note seemed a bit longer too.
It was fiddling to install (with the L arms facing upside down, but once installed, they didn't bounce or go downward (which was my fear). I guess that with true Rims, they may have bounced more.