Oil Heads

NFD55

It seems to me that several years back there was a company that came out with drum heads that were clear but had an oil like substance in between two skins. They were designed to deaden the drum sound. Am I losing my mind or was there such an item made available at one time. Additional info I think Remo produced them.

MntnMan62

Evans Hydraulics. I had a set of the blue ones on my toms and bass drum. Lasted me about 40 years. That's not a typo. I loved them. I decided to try something different and recently put Remo Pinstripes on them. Even though both are two ply, the Evans have the oil and the Remos don't. Therefore the sound is very very different. I do get much more ring from the Remos and for a change I'm liking that. But I believe the Evans have their place as well. You can still get them. They have other colors besides blue. I've seen red and black, I think.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
And it wasn't a couple of years ago. Hydralics have been around since at least the 70s, and I could be wrong but they may have been original released in the late 60s.

Poleaux

Yeah, Evans Hydraulic heads. I had the blue ones too – they looked great on my set of white Rogers with concert toms. They lasted forever and sounded great. I think I’ll get some new ones soon. Have been using Evans Onyx lately, for durability.

notvinnie

The original Evans Hydraulic heads were fantastic. They worked great on drums that weren't exactly "round" or ones that had bad edges. Back then, the Evans heads had a flexible hoop, unlike their current heads which use a metal hoop similar to Remo. Steve Gadd use Evans Hydraulic heads. You can see them on his first DCI instructional video.

ToneT

It seems to me that several years back there was a company that came out with drum heads that were clear but had an oil like substance in between two skins. They were designed to deaden the drum sound. Am I losing my mind or was there such an item made available at one time. Additional info I think Remo produced them.
Newtons Rings; the effect of light bending between the two plies of plastic. No oil in Remo heads. I could see the effect with Pinstripes.