Oh, Tom-Tom

Please don't call it a "tom-tom." That's what people on Craigslist call it. It's called a "tom."

It was just a creative title dude - I don't normally call it a "tom-tom", when "tom" gets the point across, but you should know - it's not amateur or craigslisty, rather that is the official name of that particular drum - oh since it was created! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom-tom_drum

Thanks to everyone who replied - I wasnt keen on the color at first and it's something that is still growing on me - but I got great deal on the kit, so saving $1300 makes me somewhat color-blind :)

Last edited:
It was just a creative title dude - I don't normally call it a "tom-tom", when "tom" gets the point across, but you should know - it's not amateur or craigslisty, rather that is the official name of that particular drum - oh since it was created!

Thanks to everyone who replied - I wasnt keen on the color at first and it's something that is still growing on me - but I got great deal on the kit, so saving $1300 makes me somewhat color-blind :)

You say tom, he says tom tom, let's call the whole thing off.

I like the color....Big time! Very unique.

The first drum kit tom-toms had no rims; the heads were tacked to the shell.

As major drum manufacturers began to offer tunable tom-toms with hoops and tuning lugs, a 12" drum 8" deep became standard, mounted on the left side of the bass drum. Later a 16" drum 16" deep mounted on three legs (a floor tom) was added. Finally, a second drum was mounted on the right of the bass drum, a 13" diameter drum 9" deep. Together with a 14" snare drum and a bass drum of varying size, these three made up the standard kit of five drums for most of the second half of the 20th century.

Later, the mounted tom-toms, known as hanging toms or rack toms, were deepened by one inch each, these sizes being called power toms. Extra-deep hanging toms, known as cannon depth, never achieved popularity. All these were double-headed.

1 dictionary results for: tom tom
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
tom-tom
   /ˈtɒmˌtɒm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tom-tom] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a drum of American Indian or Asian origin, commonly played with the hands.
2. a dully repetitious drumbeat or similar sound.

1 dictionary results for: tom tom
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
tom-tom
   /ˈtɒmˌtɒm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tom-tom] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a drum of American Indian or Asian origin, commonly played with the hands.
2. a dully repetitious drumbeat or similar sound.

Interesting. A "tom tom" is a dully repetitious drum beat...

In Apple's dictionary, I found something interesting. This is the origin of the word "tom tom:"

ORIGIN late 17th cent.: from Hindi ṭam ṭam, Telugu ṭamaṭama, of imitative origin.

See that? Tamatama? That's where Tama got it's name!

Without documentation I would have almost bet that the name came from the sound that a good tom tuning gives. Tom.....tom. But who knows. Next time I see Sitting Bull I will ask him. He and I are about the same age.

Without documentation I would have almost bet that the name came from the sound that a good tom tuning gives. Tom.....tom. But who knows. Next time I see Sitting Bull I will ask him. He and I are about the same age.

I told my non-drummer friend that I needed to tune my Tom-Tom and he said, "Why, was it getting you lost?" Brrrrm Chss (or however you can spell out a rim-shot)

Back