Oh how I’ve changed

wraub

"Progressive god bothering" is definitely a genre I also typically avoid, but I'll check 'em out.

I do enjoy this Spock's Beard video... the bass player throwing rock star poses in his workshed is hilariously great imo. :)

There's still great prog about it's just finding it.

Check The Flower Kings out, I saw them live on a double header with Spocks Beard (give any of the Neal Morse era stuff a blast it's amazing). They blew Spocks Beard off the stage.

I saw the Neal Morse Band at the same venue a few months later, progressive god bothering is not a genre I thought I'd enjoy but it was one of the best gigs I've been to in a long time.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

As a long time lover of progressive music, I have to thank you for posting this band, but I also have to say that they do not do it for me... at all.
I hear Periphery meets Linkin Park, but, they certainly can play. I notice that they formed while at Berklee, that explains that.

Seriously, though, thanks for posting it. I am always looking for new music for the radio.
They are playing this music as opposed to more dance pop for the masses, so, good for them. :)
yep...that is why I post ,and why I like to scour threads like these for "new to me" bands as well

80% of the time, I hear stuff that I like most parts of, but maybe not all (vocals are things that I can overlook if the instrumental parts are awesome), and usually follow about half of these
10% of the time I am blown away
10% of the time I am immediately turned off

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I still listen to pretty much everything I did back when I was younger, hell, I was bangin' out some Obituary "slowly we rot" on the way in to work this morning. I can agree with @Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX that the 90s Nu-Metal does sound kinda meh these days so it has fallen somewhat off the radar, but I was never a huge fan to begin with. I can say as I've aged I find myself listening to a lot more jazz/funk. Jimmy Smith, Grant Green, The Bar-Kays, Lee Morgan, etc. Bill Withers lives in the constant rotation.
Then there's my mess of 80s, Depeche Mode, Howard Jones, The Police, and a mix of the one hit wonders that permeated the era.
It did give me a little of a gut punch when I was listening to Guru's Jazzmatazz the other day and my assistant referred to it as "classic hip-hop" and that he was a fan of "the oldies" <facepalm>
I also have my limited selection of DnB as I am kind of artist particular Ed Rush & Optical, Killbox, Gridlok, Calyx & TeeBee, Dom & Roland & Concord Dawn (also a planet in the Mandalore system from which Jango Fett hails even though he's not an actual Mandalorian, just a thieving bounty hunter).
I am the only one of my group of friends from back then who did not "grow out of metal" as they were always saying. I always thought that was a sad state of mind to be in....they missed out on a TON of great music, and honestly, they did it while "getting into a lot of mediocre stuff instead" <--- their words, not mine. Every one of my friends who thought that getting into blues/country/alternative/jazz instead of metal wish they had not turned their back on the genre that got them into music.

I don't grow out of music...I add to it. I don't consider one style of music more "mature" than another one. Now, individual groups can fall into that category - GWAR, Motley Crue, most gangsta rap, Infant Annihilator...those groups are all childish to me lyrically, but I still love Crue for some of the early music, and IA are sick musicians, and are actually a tounge-in-cheek band making fun of the lyrical content of grind, mince, and other "core" bands.

I feel like all modern, Western European influenced music, from the first Gregorian Chant, up to Infant Annihilator are connected, and not totally exclusive of each other. They have been enhanced by the addition of Afro-Cuban music in the mid-late 1800's....but no style is "more mature" than another style to me

mikyok

Platinum Member
"Progressive god bothering" is definitely a genre I also typically avoid, but I'll check 'em out.

I do enjoy this Spock's Beard video... the bass player throwing rock star poses in his workshed is hilariously great imo. :)

This was the tour I saw them on.

Neal Morse is just good old prog, Portnoy is his drummer and he was surprisingly tasteful.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I still come back to Tarkus and Karnevil 9. The music still sounds great to me. No point asking Carl to lay down pavement - it would be like using a Lamborghini as a city runabout.

Bo have you heard Alan White's solo album, Ramshackled? Highly recommended as a good listen. Not at all like Yes, more soul than prog. No drum heroics, either. He just plays the songs.

"Masturbatory" is a harsh spin by Abe :) I think of it more that there's the pleasure of making music, and there's the physical pleasure of playing drums. The two pleasures are usually closely connected, but they are separating in some circles. So there's people making drum grooves for music who can't physically play the instrument, and you have drum acrobats (who, like many acrobats, may have accompanying music).

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I still come back to Tarkus and Karnevil 9. The music still sounds great to me. No point asking Carl to lay down pavement - it would be like using a Lamborghini as a city runabout.

Bo have you heard Alan White's solo album, Ramshackled? Highly recommended as a good listen. Not at all like Yes, more soul than prog. No drum heroics, either. He just plays the songs.

"Masturbatory" is a harsh spin by Abe :) I think of it more that there's the pleasure of making music, and there's the physical pleasure of playing drums. The two pleasures are usually closely connected, but they are separating in some circles. So there's people making drum grooves for music who can't physically play the instrument, and you have drum acrobats (who, like many acrobats, may have accompanying music).
Well, there is pleasure involved in “masterbatory” too 😉

Lennytoons

I'm enjoying reading this thread. I think our perspective does change over time regarding music. You guys should check out Big Wreck if you haven't already. They play in an entirely different musical language and are brilliant musicians. Start with "In Loving Memory Of." Lots of Zeppelin and King Crimson influences.