Offset double bass pedal

You can separate and use as singles just about every double pedal.

For those who care, you can build a center double out of a normal double and extra slave pedal.
Cheers, I’ll have a tinker with mine! (y):unsure:The Darwin does seem like the ultimate adjustable and bespoke solution all round though. He’s thought of everything...I’ve got an old Gibraltar double pedal at the mo, and just about to get a couple of DW5000’s for my double bass kit. My dream set up would still be the Darwin’s. (y) :)

I believe there are DW pedals you can do that with at a fraction of the cost. I was running DW 5000 with Trick V6 driveshaft but you could separate them and use separately by adding spring to slave side.

It's been so long since I've had a DW5000 double pedal, but where does the spring mount on the slave when separating them? If I recall, the slave only had one upright support and not enough room for a spring mount. At least the old set I was using was that way. I play double bass, but wanted a double pedal that I could separate and re-join with ease so that I wasn't always married to two bass drums.
I switched to Axis for many reasons, but one of the things that appealed to me was that I could easily separate the two pedals by simply removing the driveshaft and moving a beater over to the slave. No other mods required.

That Darwin pedal looks pretty slick, and very adjustable and configurable....... although many here would argue that those are negative traits in a pedal system.

It's been so long since I've had a DW5000 double pedal, but where does the spring mount on the slave when separating them? If I recall, the slave only had one upright support and not enough room for a spring mount.
When you remove the driveshaft from the slave, the tab that sticks out is where you attach the spring. You just move it from the main to the slave.

A mere €1410 plus shipping. They have an all-black model, too!

image.jpg
Okay....not in my ballpark at that price

When you remove the driveshaft from the slave, the tab that sticks out is where you attach the spring. You just move it from the main to the slave.

Ah ha! I see they've changed their design in that regard (amongst others). I was thinking the bottom mount for the spring was cast as part of the upright on the old DW pedals, and indeed it was, (the new ones are a threaded insert). It made it a little more involved separating the two than a simple removal of driveshaft and swapping beaters. You couldn't keep the slave spring on the slave unit like Axis pedals (and apparently you still can't?), so you had to move the spring over each time you split them, and back again to rejoin. And that was no easy task since you had to unscrew the spring retainer out of the upright each time.
Not to mention that there was so much flex in that combo base plate that the slave pedal felt like mush. And to think that was "cutting edge" at the time. :oops:

DW5000 2.jpg

Ah ha! I see they've changed their design in that regard (amongst others). I was thinking the bottom mount for the spring was cast as part of the upright on the old DW pedals, and indeed it was, (the new ones are a threaded insert). It made it a little more involved separating the two than a simple removal of driveshaft and swapping beaters. You couldn't keep the slave spring on the slave unit like Axis pedals (and apparently you still can't?), so you had to move the spring over each time you split them, and back again to rejoin. And that was no easy task since you had to unscrew the spring retainer out of the upright each time.
Not to mention that there was so much flex in that combo base plate that the slave pedal felt like mush. And to think that was "cutting edge" at the time. :oops:

View attachment 94765
I remember that pedal! Never had one though. It just looks so ridiculous next to anything from the last 30 years.

I had a set of these, for a while. The blue version 1's. I believe there are a few different length drive shafts that you can get, if you want slightly longer ones. My recollection is the longer longer ones were available first, the shorter ones came a little later. I think it was around 2000 when I got my feet on some. I wanted a center pedal .... and at the NAMM show I was able to play the Off-Set and the Sonor (Center Step, I think they called theirs). Found a used one on eBay ..... and found it to be a decent enough pedal. Later, I got a Sleishman, again, off eBay .... and sold the Off-Set.
I bought the new Offset Eclipse a cpl months ago. I love it, but I am probably not the greatest judge as I am a new drummer (5 months). It completely changed my setup though, and ended up having me start drumming open handed. Anyway so I don’t divert too much, I WANTED the Sleishman. That guy is a genius! I could not find one anywhere, so I got the Offset. Obviously you preferred the Sleishman. Is there a really big difference? In what way?

Funny the way I came across this thread was I was searching for longer drive shafts for mine. I wish they were a tad longer. I guess I will order a set. Their cases are way overpriced I think. I got a Husky soft toolbox from Home Depot for $40 that they fit perfect in and it has pockets for extra stuff.

Last edited:
I've always wondered exactly what problem it was trying to solve. Seems like a gimmick to me.

Personally, my 'stage front' is my snare. If you think of the legs as a 'V', neither my bass drum or my hi hat are stage front, but my eyes are.
This is my set up as well. Like how Travis Barker does with his kick away from him at an angle. Snare & rack tom are in line with stage front. An Off Set pedal would allow my feet to be ergonomically placed while I faced front.

For those of us who like to play a symmetrical set-up using a double pedal (ie snare between your legs, toms directly in front of you and pedals evenly on both sides) it solves a huge problem plus it just looks better.

I mean sure you can always have offset toms to acheive the same thing functionally but which looks better- the first or second pic?

Granted it's a bit hard to compare since they're not the same kit but to me the first kit looks like it's begging for a second bass drum!
Drumset on right looks pretty playable.

Obviously you preferred the Sleishman. Is there a really big difference? In what way?
Sleishman's forgo the drive shaft units, so the pedals feels "more" like a traditional chain drive pedal. Hinge is underneath the heel, rather than behind it, so that feels a little different. There always seems to be some kinda trade off, when you start getting into center pedals, because the emphasis is on the position of the bass drum.

Wow! I forgot about my little crush on Darwin pedals a couple of years back…eventually settled on my Iron Cobra’s and am gonna get the double pedal to match!! Don’t think I’d get on with a centred pedal… :unsure:

Back