Offset double bass pedal

johnwesley

Silver Member
Wondering if any of you have tried one of these and what you think of it. I'm considering but not sure the drive shafts on either side are long enough to work on a 26" bass. Eh?

Attachments

toddmc

Gold Member
I've been thinking of grabbing one of these as well. Surely the drive shafts extend out to a decent length??

harryconway

Platinum Member
I had a set of these, for a while. The blue version 1's. I believe there are a few different length drive shafts that you can get, if you want slightly longer ones. My recollection is the longer longer ones were available first, the shorter ones came a little later. I think it was around 2000 when I got my feet on some. I wanted a center pedal .... and at the NAMM show I was able to play the Off-Set and the Sonor (Center Step, I think they called theirs). Found a used one on eBay ..... and found it to be a decent enough pedal. Later, I got a Sleishman, again, off eBay .... and sold the Off-Set.

Attachments

johnwesley

Silver Member
I need to try one first to see if I like it, but will keep your info. How did it feel compared to others? What size bass were you using it on?

Dditto

I was using it on a 22” kick. With some tweaking, it felt amazing. Smooth, fast, and none of that lag I sometimes felt with the left pedal on other double pedal setups.

single-ply

I've always wondered exactly what problem it was trying to solve. Seems like a gimmick to me.

Personally, my 'stage front' is my snare. If you think of the legs as a 'V', neither my bass drum or my hi hat are stage front, but my eyes are.

toddmc

Gold Member
I've always wondered exactly what problem it was trying to solve. Seems like a gimmick to me.
For those of us who like to play a symmetrical set-up using a double pedal (ie snare between your legs, toms directly in front of you and pedals evenly on both sides) it solves a huge problem plus it just looks better.

I mean sure you can always have offset toms to acheive the same thing functionally but which looks better- the first or second pic?

Granted it's a bit hard to compare since they're not the same kit but to me the first kit looks like it's begging for a second bass drum!

Attachments

johnwesley

Silver Member
I agree Toddmc. The symetrics are nice. I'd sure like to find a place that has one set up for trial before buying however. And, the way my kit is set up it's pretty symetrical already but DOES look to be missing a second bass drum.

Attachments

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Wondering if any of you have tried one of these and what you think of it. I'm considering but not sure the drive shafts on either side are long enough to work on a 26" bass. Eh?
I've really considered getting one as I'm all about aesthetics behind the kit. I like for things to line up & look good as well as sound the best I can. This pedal would allow me to do all of those things.

As for the 26, just be sure the beaters you use are long enough to hit close-ish to the center. It should sound great no matter what!

NouveauCliche

I agree Toddmc. The symetrics are nice. I'd sure like to find a place that has one set up for trial before buying however. And, the way my kit is set up it's pretty symetrical already but DOES look to be missing a second bass drum.
You should snag one - center up that kick and get one of those low profile racks from Gibraltar - that would be sharp!

J-W

What's gotten into you?? Shouldn't one be focusing on improving their skills rather than trying to improve their drums aesthetically? Isn't time wasted collecting trinkets and fiddling with their kits when it could be better spent actually playing their drums?? Are you feeling okay, John, or has this isolation from your kit made you cross over to the dark side? :devilish:

Kidding aside, I agree your kit DOES look like it's missing a second bass drum. That offset pedal and the rack Nick suggested really would clean up the clutter. There, I just talked you right out of them, didn't I? You're welcome. Now all that money I just saved you could go toward some lessons. ;) 😛

Speaking strictly architecturally, I find symmetry to be rather boring and predictable, hence why the majority of the world’s modern architecture avoids it. I’m all for a little “offset unpredictability in life. This is obviously just my opinion and nobody probably really cares LOL 😜

But hey, if it’s symmetry you’re after, seems like a legit solution.

Ronzo

Wow. That's nice. How much is it? Where do I find the name/brand??

Al Strange

For those of us who like to play a symmetrical set-up using a double pedal (ie snare between your legs, toms directly in front of you and pedals evenly on both sides) it solves a huge problem plus it just looks better.

I mean sure you can always have offset toms to acheive the same thing functionally but which looks better- the first or second pic?

Granted it's a bit hard to compare since they're not the same kit but to me the first kit looks like it's begging for a second bass drum!
Get the second bass drum I say!!;)(y)

Reactions: J-W