Odd Weighted Cymbal

Neil

My 19" Standard A Custom seems to rest on the cymbal stand at angle. The stand was perfectly flat and level yet, the cymbal was rest with an obvious lean to the left. Tried another stand, same thing.
In A1 condition and sounds great, I shouldn't be worried about it right?

MikeM

Platinum Member
Most cymbals are heavier on one side, and that side usually finds its way to the bottom of whichever direction you have your cymbal tilted, which is usually facing you. I've often wondered if Sabian balances their cymbal before inking on the logo so they can make sure it's always readable to the audience!

Anyway, I have your same cymbal and it sounds great. I think mine usually finds the spot where it likes to sit on my stand, too, so I wouldn't worry about it.

AtomicFlapjack

I've often wondered if Sabian balances their cymbal before inking on the logo so they can make sure it's always readable to the audience!
I've always thought that as well! Haha. I find my cheaper cymbals (Xs20) tend to be weighted to one side rather than more expensive ranges (AAX). I'm surprised it would happen with an A custom, but then I have never owned Zildjian.

I have a 17" A Custom that always has logo upside down, also have a 16" Paiste 2oo2 crash that has the same thing, both sound great though. But my new 18" K Constaninople sits where I put it...no logo wondering. Maybe the other poster is right in that some cymbals are balanced at the factory?

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I have a 21" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium Crash and a 21" Meinl Byzance Dark Ride with the same problem; one side is obviously heavier than the other, so the cymbals refuse to rest flat.

It's annoying, since I mount both cymbals low and flat, so that as they rotate they can suddenly be tilted away from me.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Yes.. it has always happened to me too. I also use my cymbals flat, so it's annoying.

Naigewron, what I do to prevent what you say is to set the tilter very slightly facing at me, so the cymbal rests flat when it would be pointing away on a flat tilter, and is tilted towards me when it would be flat on a flat tilter.

I'm terrified at the idea of a cymbal looking away and someone hitting it right on the edge.. BAM! crackkk!! :/

Cheers.