Odd venue set-up!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The-Field-Overview.jpg

Did a gig in the gaslamp district in San Diego last night - I don't normally do gigs in the middle of a busy downtown where there's no where to park, let alone load-in, but this was one of those special occassions. This venue is a Irish Pub and it's just long, narrow, and vertical. I loaded in from the front door, and discovered that the small band stage is actually on the same level as the bar. When the staff put the stage in, it closes off one of their entrances to get behind the bar, and it puts the band up about four feet off the ground. It connects with the bar which allows the performers to walk along the bar while people are drinking. I instinctively brought my Pearl Rhythm Traveler for its maiden voyage and we stuck a bass drum mic in front of the bass drum - it actually held it's own. In the picture where the drums are, directly behind it is another stairway that goes up to the managers' office where we would store cases and such. While we were playing, staff people would climb up on the stage to get to the stairs behind me so they can get up to the manager's office! It was totally crowded, but the crowds were fun. I had never played anywhere where everybody is just on top of each other. We're booked there a few more times next year, and it looks like a standard-sized 13/16/22 kit would fit too, but the band appreciated that I didn't take too much forward space. But I definitely need double-headed toms. Single headed concert toms just do not sound right nowadays. The bass drum was double headed and I was using my patina brass 6.5 Sensitone along with 14" New Beats and a 20" A Light Ride handling cymbal duty.

I joked that OSHA must have a field day with this place. When I'm work they tell us if we're working close the edge of an elevated area (from 4' and up), you need to be harnessed in tied off to a point on the ceiling. I thought it would funny if the entire band was wearing construction harnesses clipped to the ceiling so if you slipped off the stage, you'd just fly around the area in the harness! Maybe next time we're do that for a costume ;)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

there are 2 places in town right now where we play with a real high stage like that...one in a corner like yours and one sticking out in the middle. I think the 2nd place had been a strip club int he 60's-80's. In the first place the stage was definitely an after-thought

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
there are 2 places in town right now where we play with a real high stage like that...one in a corner like yours and one sticking out in the middle. I think the 2nd place had been a strip club int he 60's-80's. In the first place the stage was definitely an after-thought
It's a creative space, that's for sure. But after working for Disney, I'm always surprised when I see a place that totally cannot cater to people with disabilities or in wheelchairs. I always thought if California makes stuff like that law, everybody would be forced to comply. Apparently not?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

It's a creative space, that's for sure. But after working for Disney, I'm always surprised when I see a place that totally cannot cater to people with disabilities or in wheelchairs. I always thought if California makes stuff like that law, everybody would be forced to comply. Apparently not?
I don't think they are forced to until they have to remodel for some reason. At least that is how it is here in Ohio I think. At the school I teach at, they didn't have to change around the older bathrooms to handicapped stalls until they did our new-build...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I don't think they are forced to until they have to remodel for some reason. At least that is how it is here in Ohio I think. At the school I teach at, they didn't have to change around the older bathrooms to handicapped stalls until they did our new-build...
I guess this makes sense. If they made everybody re-model, they'd probably just go out of business first!

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Interesting venue! And interesting access for the staff.

Rhythm Traveller concert toms - I have a set and the toms are the weak link. OK for home practice, or when you want the timbale/concert tom sound. I have had some success with clear pinstripes tuned quite low. Hard to find it, but there is a sweet spot where they almost sound deep enough. We used my kit in an orchestra pit once. Close mic’d and in context the whole kit sounded fine.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Acoustically... standing waves certainly shouldn't be a concern.
But emergency egress? Standing room only could be a real concern.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I don't think I could get my Midtown up there in its current condition. Too many stands.

That stage looks like a blast, unless a western style bar fight breaks out. Some dude getting slid into your kit would suck.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I don't think I could get my Midtown up there in its current condition. Too many stands.

That stage looks like a blast, unless a western style bar fight breaks out. Some dude getting slid into your kit would suck.
I think the stage size can accommodate a traditional 13/16/22 kit with stands (I saw a picture of another band that did just that, but they were only a 3-piece). So when we go back, I may bring that just so I can have a full sound. This is where depth is important. A 14" deep bass drum should be the maximum. If you bring anything deeper, you're unnecessarily pushing the band members farther away and they don't have the space.

And although this place was fun and loud, most of the bars on this street seemed pretty mellow. A lot of people were dressed nice and looking to have a good time or to blowing off steam after work. Heaven forbid it happen, but I have faith physical violence to these places is just a big downer for everyone. Besides, anybody sliding down the bar in a fight would hit the band in front of me first ;)

Jasta 11

Cool looking place, sometimes there is that trade off where you enjoy a venue so you sacrifice a little. Seems like its worth doing the front door load in to play in that vibe.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Cool looking place, sometimes there is that trade off where you enjoy a venue so you sacrifice a little. Seems like its worth doing the front door load in to play in that vibe.
I really liked it. I also had the best corned beef sandwich I’ve ever had. And who doesn’t like the staff talking with an Irish accent?

hawksmoor

I played at a party at the Royal Opera House in London on Friday on a three-tiered stage, with me at the top, rhythm guitar and bass with their amps, the next tier down, then the horn section, lead guitar and singer at the front. Everything painstakingly miked up. But from the videos I've seen, same as the ones from last year, me, the bass player and the rhythm guitarist might as well not have been playing.