Odd things you've done while drumming

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Playing options mainly, but whatever qualifies

For instance I was in a band a decade ago and we did some Allman Brothers. So I got it in my crawl that I wanted to try and emulate the 2 drummer sound a little by using two sticks in the same hand while playing the ride, which was practically all of the song. Not that odd, but odd for me anyway. It worked OK.

One other thing I did that didn't work too well was if I normally would be playing 8th notes on my closed tight hi hat, with my stick, I substituted 8th note foot chicks. I remember it not going over well lol.

Let's hear your oddball stunts

I had my slave pedal come apart during a metal gig. I had to change up my style to using busy single foot work, and trying to fake doubles between my floor tom and kick.

It worked ok enough that other drummers in the venue complimented the style and thought it was intentional, but the band knew I was struggling.

Gig went great, but it bothered me because I thought it sounded bad :p

The singer/rhythm guitarist in my band wrote this kind of Ventures-like surf-ish instrumental, where the bridge was the full band suddenly rocking out hard for one measure, and then a drum fill for one measure, and back and forth like that for eight bars. We were at a venue that was quite crowded this one night, with most of the other bands in our small town in attendance, meaning there were a lot of drummers there, watching. He knew I wasn't crazy about this spotlight bit, as it's not really my style—especially at the time, I was all about the pocket—and I really didn't feel like doing in front of all the other drummers in town, several of whom (the metal and fusion guys) could shred way faster than I. But he started playing it, and at a tempo even faster than usual. I get through the bridge okay but I was hanging on for dear life.

It came to the second time through the bridge, which is how the song ended, and this time for the fourth measure of improvised drum fill, and instead of playing something complicated (or at least fast), I simply played mainly quarter notes on the bass drum while smiling at the singer. 1-2-3 and 4. The rest of the band started laughing...and as these things go, the other drummers in the joint thought it was awesome.

I've took my kit down during a song. Played an empty room literally. Last song thought I'd save some time.
Reminds me of a time when I was young and we were playing a small show, at the end of the set someone yelled for some drum shenanigans and being young and unaware I did it... My bandmates started packing my stuff up as I played, and I had to get creative with what was left until they took away another piece and I had to think of something to do with what was left until it was all gone except the snare.

That was fun and I'd forgotten until you said this.

I've eaten several burritos on-stage while playing things that don't require a lot of attention.

Ah man you're killing me. Just hint at what took place at least. Oh wait PM! My lips are sealed!
Seconded.

I've also chugged a PBR tall boy while playing 1 handed. This was after a few shots of free bottom shelf whiskey, so I think I pulled it off :p

Well the only thing that comes to mind is... having a nice bowl of chili con carne the day before, go to rehearsal and midway through a song let an gaseous environmental hazard loose that the fan behind me nicely blows around the room for everyone to enjoy. The sight of everyone gagging is a memory i still hold dear to my heart.

Ah man you're killing me. Just hint at what took place at least. Oh wait PM! My lips are sealed!

It did involve a scantly clothed member of the opposite sex, alcohol, and rock music. I'm sure the statue of limitations has expired by now. LOL

I've eaten several burritos on-stage while playing things that don't require a lot of attention.

That's a talent, if there's a cheese board at a wedding gig the stage usually stinks second half. Me and my guitarist are quite fond of stilton and I'm alergic to cheese but like it too much.

I've took my kit down during a song. Played an empty room literally. Last song thought I'd save some time.

Got down to hats, kick and snare. Rest of the band couldn't stop laughing

hehehe, reminds me of some "last gig of the tour" shenanigans I saw during a Show in Enschede (netherlands) during the last song of one of the support bands, guys from the other bands came on stage and started taking all of his cymbals away. Dude had roughly 8-10 cymbals hanging around his kit and using them often… left him with Nothing but his high-hat :D
It was a 4 Band tour and they all messed with each other during their sets. it was quite funny to watch.

for me, personally, apparently I grunt drum fills while I Play them, in various volumes. We only found out when we listened back to a recording we made and couldnt identify a Background noise… turns out it was me... been paying Attention to it and trying to fix it.

I once pretended to play bass so I could come off the kit and sit up front on stage with this girl I had a crush on in a band I was in - this was like age 16 so I don't feel bad.

I just really liked her and wanted to like be...closer and have an excuse to practice with just her haha. So once I committed to "Yea I can play bass on that" - and SOMEHOW faking the first time we ran it, I had to go home and learn "Interstate Love Song" on bass for like hours every night for next week until our next rehearsal.

Make it through the show.

Funnily enough - I ended up dating her sister instead of her haha.

for me, personally, apparently I grunt drum fills while I Play them, in various volumes. We only found out when we listened back to a recording we made and couldnt identify a Background noise… turns out it was me... been paying Attention to it and trying to fix it.

Bernard Purdie has never stopped grunting and singing fills, you'll be fine!

It did involve a scantly clothed member of the opposite sex, alcohol, and rock music. I'm sure the statue of limitations has expired by now. LOL

I’m confident you’re referring to the time you used alcohol preps to disinfect a wound some dear old lady sustained while enjoying your cover of a raucous Petra classic. Good times.

As for me, I got a four a.m. call to fill in for our local reverend who was called away on a matter of some importance. I began the sermon (on purpose) from the drum kit. Loads of fun.

Pete

I'll deviate a little here...

I once played bass and keys in a touring band, and one show in front of about 1500 screaming teens, I worked it out with the lead guitar player that during his guitar solo that he turn in back to the audience and walk back stage, then I'd step up front and I'd cut my bass down and pretend that I was playing the solo on the bass. I thought it was a hoot as did everyone else. The manager didn't think so, but at that point, I didn't care.

Back