Odd things you've done while drumming

When I'm doing 2 handed 16ths on the hats, I like to play a nearby cymbal's bell on the '&'s. My right hand is playing hats/bell/snare/bell/hats.
Playing a fast tune, I lost a my right hand stick and it shot up and into the crowd, I quickly grabbed another and it immediately did the same, so did the next one and the next one til I'd shot 5 sticks up and into the audience in rapid succession. The band was cracking up and soon several of the sticks were sailing back in my direction.
That sounds like an awesome crowd-pleasing (if potentially expensive) trick!
"I meant to do that."

I once unknowingly stood in dog turd pre-show outside a venue. As soon as I started playing, the stage went dark and the smell hit me like a spade across the face and I couldn't work out where is was coming from, fast forward to tear-down I look down to see my kick pedal and my drum carpet completely caked in the stuff. Bad times.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I once unknowingly stood in dog turd pre-show outside a venue. As soon as I started playing, the stage went dark and the smell hit me like a spade across the face and I couldn't work out where is was coming from, fast forward to tear-down I look down to see my kick pedal and my drum carpet completely caked in the stuff. Bad times.
that is brutal!!!

there have been many times where I have had to do equipment repair while playing...everything from tightening the screw under the top hat, to dealing with boom stands falling apart and stages falling apart, but to me, that was always the norm...part of the job...it didn't seem weird. I seems more weird now that my stuff doesn't fall apart during the course of a show

mikyok

Platinum Member
My dad did this in the 70s, dog dirt all over his guitar pedals by the time he noticed!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I had my slave pedal come apart during a metal gig. I had to change up my style to using busy single foot work, and trying to fake doubles between my floor tom and kick.
It worked ok enough that other drummers in the venue complimented the style and thought it was intentional, but the band knew I was struggling.
Gig went great, but it bothered me because I thought it sounded bad :p
I've always been surprised as to what I think sounds bad & what the audience never noticed. This revelation really made me relax about my playing.

To them, your floor tom/kick deal was some new method that added to the overall beat. They probably loved it.

Poleaux

Once I was playing in a Honky Tonk bar way out in the sticks and the band I was in learned a very simple Zydeco song to play for the folks in that region. The club had some giant wooden drum sticks on the wall for décor – I’m talking giant 3 foot sticks- and I grabbed them and played the Zydeco song with them. It was a very comical scene and my drums were literally bouncing from being slammed with those giant sticks. Played the song well enough though.

I also used to do a regular private party with a large crowd of friends and musicians – it was more of a jam than a real gig. And my girlfriend would always get up on stage and pour a shot of liqueur down my upturned and opened mouth right in the middle of a song. It’s a challenge to do that shot and keep a steady beat without spilling liqueur all over your face! Audience loved it.

moodman

When boom stands fail to stay in place (front line always get the good ones) while I do vocals, I just hold the mic in my left hand and play everything right handed. Can't do it on every tune but it works on others.

motleyh

Well, it wasn't me, but I once saw Marcus Baylor retune his kit while playing an extended drum solo on a live gig with the Yellowjackets. Right hand and feet doing the solo, left hand handling the drum key, and arranging the solo to check the pitches as he tuned. Impressive.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well this is more "odd drumming" but when I was in my twenties in 70s-I'd serenade fishing boats traveling the canal going out to sea-our dock was right near mouth to sea. So it would be 5-6 am music blasting and me jamming on my drums on the dock. They'd all wave and it eemed to get their spirits up. It's crazy I would do that anytime of day or night (thoughtless youth) and never had a complaint or police (there was only two of them) called on me-in fact all my neighbors just loved me and my antics and often would come watch (best neighbors they kept me in line though). I did get this soaking wet letter from some fella named King Mackerel saying their school wasn't digging my music-but I suspect something "fishy" with that letter LOL.

moodman

I started doing this back in the 80's as a practice thing. My hats are about 6 inches above the snare, to get more power in a backbeat, I lift my arm higher and pass my left stick between hats and the right stick as it plays the cymbal flow, kinda like the WW1 machine gun though the propeller of bi-planes. Only on 8th note cymbal flow, and rarely used by me as it's just going for Aranoff volume.

Otto

Platinum Member
I remember a moment where my complete approach to composition changed...and my breathing got real odd...and I tried really hard to exhale while I was inhaling...spit all over the place...and saw stars.

Happened a few times after that but each was less traumatic. I eventually settled in.

Xeno

I have to preface by saying it was the 80's so.. I was in a hair band playing I think the Roxy and we always had intro music where we kinda stand in the dark while the music plays and then blast into the song when it's over. Pretty standard fare back then. Anyway, as the music's playing I look down at my snare and see three lines of, um..a white powdery substance. I look off stage and my drum roadie is giving me a huge thumbs up. So, needless to say, I think I played a little faster than usual that night.
Oh..and I also caught my drumstick in my earring sending it flying across the stage as blood dripped down my neck.