Odd snare, odd snare head questions

wraub

I have a Pearl Short Fuse snare drum that's 10"x4.5".
It's my main snare, tuned fairly low. I prefer a fairly dry sound, as I play a lot of funk and rock stuff.

It has an Evans Snare Side 300 reso and a Remo Ambassador X batter, but I also have 2 other batter heads here to try. One is an EC2 clear, the other is a clear Hydraulic.
I currently use one Moongel on the Ambassador X.

What should I expect, soundwise, from these heads? I understand the Hydraulic should be warmer with less overtones... is this right?

Would either of these possibly be a better head for my drier funky needs?

drumnut87

ec2 - more focused than the ambo X but more lively as its a clear head.

hydraulic - deep, fat, virtually reso-less sound, perfect for a wet blat type sound

wraub

Yes, I do. :)

But, I'm recovering from working 122 hours in 12 straight days, and I lack the ambition, honestly.
But, I was looking at the heads with curiosity and thinking about my snare drum, and... here we are. ;)

You do realize the best way to find the answer to your question is to try those heads on the drum, right? ;)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've used a (coated) EC2 on snares before, and I actually liked it a lot. I've also used a Hydraulic on a snare for that Don Henley sound.

But a 10" snare is completely uncharted territory for me, so I'm really not sure how those characteristics work scaled down.

C.M. Jones

Yeah, because a 10" snare is something I've never played, I can't predict what you'll discover. Experimentation should be your guide.

wraub

This is actually a thing I'd wondered about... if too much damping is... too much. ;)

I do have clear EC2 heads on my toms, I like them there.

IMO a hyrdaulic would be overkill for a 10 inch snare, try the EC2 head first :)

wraub

I actually got home from work today and messed with the snare, trying the installed Ambassador X one more time...

I discovered that the wires weren't square in the snare bed or true to the bottom head, so started there... sorted that, then worked on the heads- And it now sounds pretty close to ideal imo.

Since there's apparently a grey area here, I might start a new thread for my (and other's) 10" snare drums... I doubt I'm the only one using one.

Last edited:

iCe

Haven't used those heads, but when it comes to coated or clear heads: clear heads give you more crack and a sharper sound.
To try something else; i used a clear Remo CS on my snare for a while and although it gave a more sensitive sound, i missed the warmness the coated version gave me. To i switched back to the coated CS since it's the best snare head for me.

Come to think of it... it did use the EC1 reverse dot for quite a while as well years back. Although this is a 1 ply head with frosting on it (and a power dot), it's similar to the EC2 with the control ring. Load of attack and sharp sound as well. Think the EC2 clear will sound fuller and still retain a lot of attack.

wraub

I put the EC2 on yesterday... It definitely sounds better to me.
I have it tuned as nobody else probably would, but it works for me.

The Hydraulic will have to wait. :)

roncadillac

I actually got home from work today and messed with the snare, trying the installed Ambassador X one more time...

I discovered that the wires weren't square in the snare bed or true to the bottom head, so started there... sorted that, then worked on the heads- And it now sounds pretty close to ideal imo.

Since there's apparently a grey area here, I might start a new thread for my (and other's) 10" snare drums... I doubt I'm the only one using one.
May I ask your overall thoughts on the short fuse as your primary snare? I'm looking at one to go with my midtown kit. I play a variety of styles and change my set up alot. It would be used as a primary snare for when I'm doing my 2pc set up and with my full kit for practice with my current band to lessen my load (smaller drum and don't need the snare stand). It sometimes would be swung to the left as a second snare.

I prefer smaller drums and have used more 12s live then any other size so it won't be a huge adjustment for me size wise, I just question it's ability to cut through as a primary drum. I don't muffle and would be using a single ply head tuned pretty high.

microkit

For small snares, what I've heard and like are a Controlled Sound (Aquarian and Evans make their own versions) and for really, really dead, I like a Fiberskyn PS3. I'm sure other PS3s are fine too, the FS feels thicker and heavier than the other versions.