Odd snare build

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
I have an undrilled, 14x8 shell coming and did a count of the lugs I have in my parts drawer. I found 14 with claw hooks and was irritated that I've clearly lost a few somewhere along the way.

Then I thought, "Could I build a snare with 7&7 and wood hoops?" Is there such an animal out there?
Thoughts?

I think @beet is right about that. Seven lugs in a circle is about 51.5 degree spacing. Three spaces is ~155, and 4 is ~206. For a 14" diameter, that space is about 6". I'm not sure there is a way to run a snare bed. Possibly, but its gonna look super weird.

I have an undrilled, 14x8 shell coming and did a count of the lugs I have in my parts drawer. I found 14 with claw hooks and was irritated that I've clearly lost a few somewhere along the way.

Then I thought, "Could I build a snare with 7&7 and wood hoops?" Is there such an animal out there?
Thoughts?

I never really thought about it, to be honest. No idea if such a creature exists.

Six lugs seems to be coming back into fashion with a lot of people buying these old "student model" drums. Why not just do that and have some spares?

Or, like some else mentioned, I have seen the occasional drum with a different number of lugs top and bottom. Maybe six downstairs and eight upstairs, or vice versa.

Okay, it can work with some parameters. I did this on AutoCAD so it is both mathematically and visually exact:
20210324_180554.jpg

I made the shell 13 7/8" in diameter. The lugs are 3/4" across and 1" deep. The snare bed is 2" wide. There is about 3/16" between the snare bed line and the edge of the closest lug.

If your shell is smaller diameter, or your lugs are wider, your snare bed is gonna be super narrow.

What if I just don’t cut a snare bed? I had a Gretsch Catalina snare that had a flat snare side edge. No bed at all.

What if I just don’t cut a snare bed? I had a Gretsch Catalina snare that had a flat snare side edge. No bed at all.
I had a snare that I was certain had no snare beds. Then I put it on a glass surface and whaddya know, it actually did! It was very wide and gradual making it impossible to see. Maybe that's the case with your Catalina snare?

Where are you going to find rims for a 7 lug drum? I think that might be limiting factor for this build idea, and would probably cost more to have them made than the missing lugs would cost to buy.
You'll be be able to find 6 lug 14" rims.

I could be wrong about the 7 lug rims though, I've never tried looking for them.

My first snare was a Gretsch with 6 lugs, so it can and has been done. With the claw hook pieces that will spread the tension to more of the hoop. 6 and 8 sounds like a good choice. Those numbers would give you 45 and 60 degree seperation respectfully.

Okay, it can work with some parameters. I did this on AutoCAD so it is both mathematically and visually exact:
View attachment 102688

I made the shell 13 7/8" in diameter. The lugs are 3/4" across and 1" deep. The snare bed is 2" wide. There is about 3/16" between the snare bed line and the edge of the closest lug.

If your shell is smaller diameter, or your lugs are wider, your snare bed is gonna be super narrow.
@MrInsanePolack This looks weirdly fabulous, but @Al Strange won’t be able to sleep knowing such an offset/off center thing exists in the world.
serious question: would having 4 lugs on one side and 3 on the other make it difficult or impossible to tune properly?

@MrInsanePolack This looks weirdly fabulous, but @Al Strange won’t be able to sleep knowing such an offset/off center thing exists in the world.
serious question: would having 4 lugs on one side and 3 on the other make it difficult or impossible to tune properly?
Sorry guys I can’t look at this asymmetric abomination... I’m off for a lie down... :sick: ;)

View attachment 102688

the problem here is that the lugs on either side of the snare bed will have almost zero effect on tightening the reso head across the actual beds... ideally, you want the lugs INSIDE the beds so you can control the tension across them

the problem here is that the lugs on either side of the snare bed will have almost zero effect on tightening the reso head across the actual beds... ideally, you want the lugs INSIDE the beds so you can control the tension across them
Well If this is the case, that would have to be a super wide snare bed as the side with less lugs isnt even close to the bed.
Sorry guys I can’t look at this asymmetric abomination... I’m off for a lie down... :sick: ;)
Sorry Al, even with the help of computers, I just cant make 7 symmetrical while bisecting a circle.

Maybe if you used a setup like the Dyna-Sonic it would work. Pearl had an extended snare setup also, but I don't remember the name of the drum (and I had one, this blank I'm drawing is gonna bug me).

I have nothing but love for all of you. ?
Being "That Guy" who does the weird stuff, I figured I'd give this a go just because. I already have the hoops, claws, lugs and throw-off/butt plate so all I'd be out is the cost of an (inexpensive) poplar shell.
I could use Mr. Insane Polack's layout as a guide & go for it!

If it doesn't work out, I'll try again with an 8-batter/6-reso set up & see how that goes. ;)

I have nothing but love for all of you. ?
Being "That Guy" who does the weird stuff, I figured I'd give this a go just because. I already have the hoops, claws, lugs and throw-off/butt plate so all I'd be out is the cost of an (inexpensive) poplar shell.
I could use Mr. Insane Polack's layout as a guide & go for it!

If it doesn't work out, I'll try again with an 8-batter/6-reso set up & see how that goes. ;)
Look forward to seeing your efforts, even if the underlying concept doesn’t sit easily with my order disorder!! :D (y)

Look forward to seeing your efforts, even if the underlying concept doesn’t sit easily with my order disorder!! :D (y)

What's funny is I too have the same "order disorder", yet for some reason I want to do this.
What might happen is during the layout phase, I'll chicken out & go with the 8 & 6 plan. It too will be different like I want, and still satisfy my need for orderly arrangement. ;)

Back