Odd Drum Size Idea

Liam

Someone else has probably thought of this already, but what if toms where all odd sizes (diameter) for example you could have a drum set with six toms, sizes: 7, 9, 11, 13, and Floor toms: 15, 17. I know you can get some of these but would you use a kit with all odd tom sizes.

If everything was available like with current sizes, then sure. I dont think I would intentionally go out of my way for an odd sizes kit, but would not hesitate to experiment with the odd sizes

I'm interested in an 11" tom tom-- maybe it would solve what I hate about 10" toms. Paired with a 12. 11/13 would be too big of a gap, I think.

15/17 floor toms might be a decent alternative to 16/18. 16 is already a really low sound, and the 18 is too low.

7/9 would probably be better than 6/8, too. Slightly fuller bongo sounds.

Outside of the 13" ...... good luck finding heads. Even the 15" is hard to find. I think I remember reading somewhere mention of Tama having an odd sized kit ..... but that might have just been internet rumor.

I think if head availability wasn't a concern, then sure, why not?

I personally don't have a problem with the traditional 12/13 tom pairing, but I can see where an 11/13/15/17 set up might appeal to those that are really hung up on needing 2" intervals between drums while keeping sizes under control.

Odd sizes for the sake of odd sizes would be more of a headache than a reward to me.
I agree. I have one 13" tom that I use for a floor on my small footprint kit. Other than that, they're all even sizes.

Only if the drumhead manufacturers make these sizes.
Given the number of head types offered, it's EXTREMELY unlikely that a company would want to introduce several new sizes for the applicable tom models, and EXTREMELY unlikely that stores would carry any of them. Good luck getting bags for those drums!

Anyway, I don't see an advantage to just odd sizes. Any pitch/sound can already be accomplished with the tom the next inch up or down.

Now, cymbals are a different animal, and because they tend to be so individual - or sometimes so consistent - an inch can make an audible difference. :)

You can special order heads in these sizes. I change my heads about every ten years, so no problem. The main thing is that it better be your lifetime instrument, because nobody's going to want to buy the thing off you.
Can you share what company would do this?
I ask because I recently got an 11" tom and have only been able to find Remo Ambassadors. Ambassadors are fine, by the way, but other options are good! (I was actually able to find a couple NOS Diplomats and Ebony Pins...) I contacted Evans and Aquarian - they were very nice, but no dice on 11" heads.
Thank you for any information!

To answer the original question: I wouldn't pursue a kit of those sizes on purpose, but I'm not opposed to them. I'm just not sure they would provide any real advantage to the usual even sizes. I have an older Yamaha RC in "Weckl" sizes (8, 10, 13, 15) The 13 and 15 are fine. I've had no problems finding heads for them. I didn't seek out those sizes, but I don't mind them.

Someone else has probably thought of this already, but what if toms where all odd sizes (diameter) for example you could have a drum set with six toms, sizes: 7, 9, 11, 13, and Floor toms: 15, 17. I know you can get some of these but would you use a kit with all odd tom sizes.

Funny you should post this! I was thinking last week about setup with a 13" tom and 16 "floor tom and then having 2" gaps, but 11" and 17" drums aren't a thing hehe
But who knows... the 13" and 15" drums have been around for ages and DW makes a 23" bass drum.

I thought Simon Phillips had either a 9 or an 11 on the red Tama kit circa The Who gig in 1989. Something weird like that.

I'm pretty sure that on that white kit he uses on his instructional video is an 11"

Simon Phillips used an 11 Tom.
A kit with an 11x8; 12x9 16x16 would be interesting but I guess no one would follow. 23 bass drums don’t seem to catch either. It’s easier to work with depth to compensate I guess.

Odd-sized drums have existed in various forms for a long time. The idea of sticking with mostly even-numbered sizes is relatively new (and might have as much to do with a manufacturer's inventory situation as any kind of musical consideration). 7x11 inch toms used to be the smaller alternative to 9x13s until after WW2. Ludwig (and maybe Slingerland) made tenor drums in 17 inches diameter up until the development of multi-toms in the mid 70s. Remo and Evans still make heads in these sizes depending on the model. Somebody somewhere even offered 9" diameter something-or-other...and I can get hoops and heads for them...but not the shells.

All that said, I have toms in 11, 13 and 15 inch diameters, and their utility in my case is to bridge the gap between the two even numbered drums they are replacing. For example; my 8/10/12/14 would become 8/11/14 or 8/10/12/14/16 becomes 8/10/13/16 or 10/12/15/18 for something a little fatter or deeper.

Even so, the adjacent even sizes could be tuned to the right notes, if not the "sweet spot". The one limited application where I would say odd sizes are a real help is when you are dealing with VERY specific tunings and setup a-la Bozzio, where a 10" tom is too small to hit that "E" note, but a 12" is too big and boingy. 11" drum to the rescue! Other than that, I have already done some testing, and the case for adding another inch across a drum setup isn't looking good. Sure, an 11" tom looks like a 10 and sounds like a 12, but I had to go through quite a lot to have one...and I keep an extra supply of those heads in my drum room so that I don't get caught short.

For a 6-tom run, I'd go 8, 10, 12, 15, 16 18 a la Phil Collins. Maybe it's his tuning and playing that makes his odd-sized concert-tom kit sound so versatile for many of his session works.
I also really like a 13" tom. AFAIK Jinbao used to make a kit with an 11" tom, but it's not a professional line, and was a power tom. Ludwig used to make 17" marching tenor drums, too.

Back