Odd band drama

Ghostin one

I played for a band for a year or so... It was like pulling teeth to get them to record anything at all, for any purpose. And they had the stuff to do it!
I kept trying to get them to put video on youtube to show potential venues what the band could do - never happened.

At the last show (months ago), I asked why I wasn't getting my full share of the pay. The reply was, "You're quitting the band over $5?", and two of them just walked away... I was flabbergasted. The other one handed me three dollars. I should mention that I figured out that they shorted my pay a few times this way.

Apparently they were ordering mixed drinks beyond the "free beer" we were to be provided, and felt the need to tip the bartender out of the band's pay. (I don't drink booze any more) Also they had a tip jar and gave that money to the bartender.

So yesterday I noticed they had an ad on craigslist for a drummer. I was surprised they're making another go of it, but happened to search the band's name and lo and behold, somebody decided to get off their ass and uploaded a number of videos of the band with me playing! I guess the bass player's gf recorded the band with her phone.

I'm not too happy about it, but my new band is very busy and they don't mess around with the pay in any way.

Just a story I wanted to share and vent some frustration.?

Sounds like you got out at a good time. I've been doing this a long time, and I'm here to tell you that a.) people are going to do what they are going to do, and b.) people don't change. If they do make a change for the better, it's usually over time. I also understand the frustration of band members simply not wanting to do anything...especially when you see some real potential there. Out of all of the crap I've been through playing music, I think this has been my most frustrating thing.

If they want to make another go at it, let them. You know that they are just going to keep doing the same ol' things, and just be happy you got out when you did. Sounds like you are on a much better path, and the best way to get back at anyone is to be happy, play good music, and have a good time.

3 bucks a gig, sign me up man, this is really going places!

Just be glad you bailed on this one!

Could be worse! I remember "pay to play" in Los Angeles was common.

It was supposed to be $65 and they handed me $60. It didn't go over too well on the sidewalk at three in the morning.

The new band is hopping, more than thirty gigs so far this year. $65 minimum per person, usually more, but sometimes a lot more.

'How to loose friends and alienate people'

Sounds like your insistence for videos paid off, but lucky for you (but unfortunately for another drummer) you got out of bad situation.

Sounds like you got out at a good time. I've been doing this a long time, and I'm here to tell you that a.) people are going to do what they are going to do, and b.) people don't change. If they do make a change for the better, it's usually over time. I also understand the frustration of band members simply not wanting to do anything...especially when you see some real potential there. Out of all of the crap I've been through playing music, I think this has been my most frustrating thing.

If they want to make another go at it, let them. You know that they are just going to keep doing the same ol' things, and just be happy you got out when you did. Sounds like you are on a much better path, and the best way to get back at anyone is to be happy, play good music, and have a good time.
?

Back