OCDP Avalon vs Yamaha Stage Customs

blastbeatkeeper

Hello all. I just came across this decent OCDP Avalon maple 5 piece kit used at a local shop near me. 10x8, 12x9 rack toms, 14x12 and 16x14 floor toms and a 22x20 bass drum. Right now I own a 7 piece Yamaha SC double bass(2-22x17, 8x7, 10x8, 12x10, 14x12 mounted floor) kit, and I was thinking about trading in for a few reasons:

A) Cut down from a double bass to a single bass. Ive had the double bass kit for roughly about 6 months, but I just can get used to it, and personally, when I do start gigging again(I am currently taking some time off from playing shows due to having a new son in Sept.), Im not looking forward to dragging out 2 bass drums.
B) The SC doesnt have floor toms, and Im dying to get a 16" floor tom. I just feel the 14" doesnt go deep enough for my tastes.
C) The sizes on the SC kit arent really for metal, which I primarily play.
D) Maple vs. Birch(not that it is particularly better, but for type of music I play, Id rather need to cut back, then be at full volume, and still need to mic everything up.)

Does anyone else have experience with the OCDP's? I like my SC's, but I jut dont think they fit with the style of music I play, ad theyre just too much drum for me. Any criticism welcome. Thanks.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
If I'm right, the 'Avalon' series that OCDP released were re-badged OEM kits that were made for OCDP to expand their market. That particular move didn't end up well for OCDP after they had to effectively close their doors not too long afterwards. I remember hearing reports of very poor quality control - particularly with the application of the various finishes.

In short, I would think twice and inspect the OCDP kit very carefully before you commit to buying it. It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Yamaha kits and I think you could always sell the extra bass drum and make enough to buy an add-on 16" floor tom that you want.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
A) Cut down from a double bass to a single bass. Ive had the double bass kit for roughly about 6 months, but I just can get used to it, and personally, when I do start gigging again(I am currently taking some time off from playing shows due to having a new son in Sept.), Im not looking forward to dragging out 2 bass drums.
So just don't take the 2nd bas drum with you. No rule says just because you own it you have to use it. My 2nd bass drum stayed in my closet for years and years.

)B The SC doesnt have floor toms, and Im dying to get a 16" floor tom. I just feel the 14" doesnt go deep enough for my tastes.
You could just look for/special order a 16" to go with your existing kit.

C) The sizes on the SC kit arent really for metal, which I primarily play.
Depends on your definition of metal. There are numerous metal drummers who use smaller toms.

Overall, I wouldn't do it. Your Yamaha is a better made kit.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Gotta agree with BFY. The SCs are great drums and will do nearly anything you ask. Head selection and tuning will take care of the "metal" sound for you. Don't be sucked in by the look of the deep bass drum and the "maple" shells - Avalon is basically junk that OCDP outsourced overseas after selling their soul to Guitar Center. Sell your 2nd bass drum and get a double pedal and a 16" tom... consider selling the 14" and getting an 18" too.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I've seen, and "played on" (just messed around) the Avalon at GC a few times.

IMO, if you can tune (applies to any kit really) you can have a kit for a decent, reasonable price, and have it sound really good.

I liked the sound of the bass drum a lot. It's long, so transporting it might be an issue for some, but I mainly use a 20" deep bass drum myself, so no prob in my case.

Not sure what the wood used is on the Avalon, but if it sounds good to your ears, and sounds good through a PA when you gig, that's all that counts.
My 40+ year old Mahogany cheap-o Royce drums still sound good, so....
The hardware on them is junk, but the shells themselves sound good.

Pearl Exports for years have been touted as being a great gigging kit and sounding kit through PA's. I had one and they do sound great through PA's.
I'd imagine it's similar to what the Avalon provides--which is desirable in most situations anyway. The faster and easier it is to get a good sound from a mediocre PA at your local club/bar/party/gig site, the better.

You just tune the drums to project, and sound even throughout the kit and you're good to go.
The point is, if you do what you can so the kit sounds good just by being picked up by vocal mic's, you're golden anywhere.

The style is nice on those kits, I like them looks-wise.

I have all the kits I'd ever need, but what I've seen of these, I would have no problem owning and gigging out with one of these.

Having a 16" floor tom is a major plus for playing Rock music IMO. Lugging smaller drums around is nice, but the sound and vibe of smaller drums sometimes just doesn't cut it.

Yes, yes, you can get anything to "work", such as smaller 16-18" bass drums, and 14" floor toms (for the people that like and use them), but, there's more to it than that. The tone a 14" floor tom makes is not the last "note" I'd ever want on a kit if I'm playing anything resembling Rock music.
Jazz, yes, Piano Trio, yes, light Blues, maybe. Rock, no.

Anyhow, if you like the Avalon kit, and it seems to you that it would suit things better for your playing style and the type of gigs you want to be involved in, get it.

Good luck, sorry for the book.