Oak Shells Or Maple Shells?

They do 4 kits here but the maple and oak are included . This may help or it may confuse you even more lol!, and there’s definitely some differences between the woods , but the takeaway is , like they say at about 4:40 is personal preference. Would have been good if they spent a little more time on toms and just switching back and forth between the kits fir longer durations , but it gives an idea. Go get on some kits to listen in person and actually have someone else play too while you stand out front of the kit . No rush , take your time and shop 👍🏻. Get what sounds good to your ear and your musical tastes 👌🏻

And a N and C maple vs oak snare comparison

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Those Yammy custom oak hybrid sound really interesting . It’s oak with a thin phenolic compound (like a pool ball in description) layer in middle aligning with bearing edge . So I guess can handle abuse- so a new bearing edge material.
On a personal note I’m growing to hate drum manufacturers because they can draw my interest like a fly to honey. If it was mostly head then why is shell wood and construction and hardware making it so damn hard to make a decision. Then add.name bias from history. I love looking but once you decide I want a new kit I think I should put names in a jar and blindly pick to keep myself from going insane. It maybe to late

pgm554

Platinum Member
The problem I've heard about the Oaks is that the wood is extremely hard to work with.
Lots of drums rejected at factory for QA reasons.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yammy obviously solved the problem working with a difficult wood. I wonder how segment or stave “wood” sound? Lol

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The problem I've heard about the Oaks is that the wood is extremely hard to work with.
Lots of drums rejected at factory for QA reasons.
Yamaha has done this since the 90’s (the first after Craviotto? https://reverb.com/item/34039546-craviotto-john-craviotto-signed-solid-oak-5-5x13-snare-drum-peter-erskine-private-collection-1994?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34039546 )

Maybe this was a challange in the early stages, but seeing they are now on their 3th generation after more than 20 years. they overcame this obstacle.

RobertM

Platinum Member
T
I just took a look at the 'Outfitter' for the Ludwigs oaks, and it looks like you can order an 18x12, 18x14, or 18x16 size bass drum.

Too bad there's no dealer around here to talk to. :(
Without that, ideally, you could just fill out the form, send it to Ludwig, and have the drums show up at your door.
The webpage for the Ludwig Oak kits shows 14x20 as the smallest bass drum. https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/classic-oak

That would be cool if Ludwig can make 18” bass drums for Oak Classic.

wildbill

Platinum Member
T

The webpage for the Ludwig Oak kits shows 14x20 as the smallest bass drum. https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/classic-oak

That would be cool if Ludwig can make 18” bass drums for Oak Classic.
You have to use the "Outfitter" pdf on the page I linked to. It's an Excel worksheet.
I guess you use the form to fill out sizes, finish, number and type of drums and so on and have a dealer order it for you.
I've never done it, and it seems like a PITA compared to walking in someplace, picking out a kit, putting your money down, and taking it home.
But it is what it is.

Last edited:

Fritz Frigursson

You have to use the "Outfitter" pdf on the page I linked to. It's an Excel worksheet.
I guess you use the form to fill out sizes, finish, number and type of drums and so on and have a dealer order it for you.
I've never done it, and it seems like a PITA compared to walking in someplace, picking out a kit, putting your money down, and taking it home.
But it is what it is.
You can buy the standard shell sizes (fab, downbeat, probeat and mod) for the standard price (and limited finishes) or you can build your own custom size with the Outfitter. It costs more but you can get exactly what you want.

On a sidenote- if Ludwig brought more of their kits to Europe it would be freakin great. I can't even find a blue sparkle classic maple here, it's crazy