NSSD.. New Snare Stand Day! Pearl S1030 Review

Road Bull

Silver Member
I am happy to report that I took delivery of my new Pearl S1030 snare stand today. I had originally ordered this same stand several weeks ago from Amazon because none of my local music stores carried it. Usually the reason I end up there... But when I tried the first time, I was just as excited, but baffled when I opened the box to find a Pearl S930 inside of a Pearl S1030 stand box. It came directly from Amazon, so either someone prior had pulled a fast one and swapped the items to take the more expensive stand, or someone at Pearl goofed up.

At any rate, I have the new stand here and it looks to be pretty cool. I had been looking for a good snare stand to mount my 14"x10" rack tom in. Amazon gave me a good deal on the S930, so I kept it, but wanted something a little more substantial for the rack tom. The S930 will be my new snare stand.

I really love the rubber claw tips, or as Pearl calls em, "Air Suspension Rubber Tips". The S930 has them as well, and they do a pretty sweet job of holding the drum without choking it.

The snare basked is adjustable. This is a feature that I might not use very much, but it is there in case I decided to use it for a smaller or lager diameter drum. At first I thought it might be a pain to set the distances equally, but they did a great job in scoring the different diameters on the metal arms to make it easy to adjust evenly. Thank you.

For being double braced, it is not that heavy. It is certainly lighter than the Ludwig Atlas Pro that I had for a day before I realized that it was too short for my needs. It is aslo not overly complicated.

One control for the Gyro-Lock tilter is nice. This lets you set forward and back as well as side to side and everywhere in between with one adjustment. Simple. And anything that makes life easier to set up or tear down between bands is good in my book.

I also like their "Butterfly" nut for adjusting the basket. That is something that, for me makes setting up easier. I don't like how some of the other nice stands I tried in my search preferred using a knurled dial of some sort or another. I mean, it works, but for me it takes a bit more effort. This nut is easy to grab onto by feel alone. But to be fair, this is the style I have mainly used for many years and find to be more comfortable.

They say they redesigned the base, calling it a new "Trident Design Tripod" base. Not sure what that means, as this is my second Pearl product that I have ever owned. But it looks ever so slightly larger in footprint compared to the S930. Regardless, I am happy. Especially because I am mounting a rather large 14"x10" rack tom at the upper limits of this stand's height in order to get it where I like it. But a little extra footprint is a good thing for me.

I will get a chance to actually use it on Saturday at our show. But I can already tell that a fair amount of thought went into making this, all without making it over the top complicated as far as design goes. So for that, Pearl, I would like to say thank you. It looks like you have created a winner here. Your chicken dinner awaits an address for it to be sent to.

-RB

p.s.
I will follow up once I get a chance to put it through its paces on Saturday.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
All I bought today was a coffee and sandwich.

"New ham sandwich day!"

I have that stand, it's a good one.

porter

Platinum Member
Awesome, dude! I have the S2000, which is the old version. As far as I'm aware the only differences are the butterfly nut (old one is a three-spoke plastic design) and maybe the tripod. Still, probably the most/best-designed snare stand on the market.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I have the S-1000 stand. Pearl doesn't make it anymore and just turned the S-2000 in to the S-1030 and merged the lines. Anyway, I'm happy with it. The only complaint I have is that you have to make sure you crank down the gyro lock clamp pretty tight if you do a lot of rim shots. If you don't, the stand will tilt the drum and flatten it out so you don't get rimshots anymore. Other than that, its good. Plenty of height adjustment, sturdy, and it looks really nice.

I also purchased the S-900 stand. I think. Hmm... Maybe its the S-930. I can't remember. Its still in its box and packed away for the last 6 months. Anyway, I'm sure I purchased it because of my happiness with the S-1000 stand. Pearl hardware is pretty nice. I wish they would beef up their tube diameters on their cymbal stands, but other than that I have no complaints about it.

porter

Platinum Member
The only complaint I have is that you have to make sure you crank down the gyro lock clamp pretty tight if you do a lot of rim shots. If you don't, the stand will tilt the drum and flatten it out so you don't get rimshots anymore.
Haven't had that issue with any stand, let alone the Pearl, playing pretty intense stuff. Sounds like the gyro-lock may have worn down or something

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Naah... The stand is only about 2 years old and doesn't get too much use. I think I didn't tighten it enough. I was just playing a bit of Pearl jam. Nothing too crazy. I was laying in to the snare quite a bit though.

Road Bull

Silver Member
OK, So I got a chance to use the Pearl S1030 snare stand last night at a gig. I really like it. It is holding my 14x10" rack tom. I am using the Pearl S930 for my snare stand. The 1030 seems to have an ever so beefier base with just a little more weight than the 930. It also has a little more height available to it compared to the 930. This is perfect for me because I wanted to fly my rack tom a bit higher than most snare stands, (save the goofy concert ones), will allow for. The Gyro-Lock tilter is a nice feature for those minute adjustments.

I would say it's a keeper.

Attachments

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
The adjustable basket is a plus for drums smaller than 13" in diameter. My S-1000 has problems holding a drum 12" and smaller as it pinches the shell. Your S-930 will have this same problem, so I would keep that S-1030 for the tom and not use it for your snare.

Road Bull

Silver Member
The adjustable basket is a plus for drums smaller than 13" in diameter. My S-1000 has problems holding a drum 12" and smaller as it pinches the shell. Your S-930 will have this same problem, so I would keep that S-1030 for the tom and not use it for your snare.

Yup. That's what I am doing. I don't really need all the extra features on my snare stand, but it is really nice for my rack tom.