NSD: The TAMA Big Black Steel Snare (LTS148 SLP) - It's Heckin' Huge!

Jeremy Crockett

Since starting this adventure called drumming a year and a half ago, I have only had wood snares. Not out of preference but, because that is simply what came with the two kits I have used.

I have, very recently, been considering buying a metal snare in the well-known phenomenon of Tone Chasing®. The TAMA S.L.P. 14" x 8" snare is extremely well-reviewed on all of the major retail sites and after listening to the few examples I was able to locate on the YouTubes, I found that this was the tone I was not getting from my current snare and the price was exceptionally reasonable. So, I decided to take a chance and get one having not heard it in the real world.

Last night, the box arrived! Along with two Ambassador heads.

SLP_BOX_02.jpg

I have, for whatever reason, adopted a tradition of always using the same penknife to open all music items I receive.
SLP_KNIFE.jpg

I love seeing a nicely wrapped, brand-new, piece of gear.
SLP_OPEN.jpg
SLP_WRP_02.jpg

TAMA included a dead-sexy tuning key:
SLP_KEY.jpg

Ooh! It really does look like something Darth Vader would have.
SLP_SIDE.jpg
SLP_THRWOF.jpg

The stock heads are USA-made Evans. I am unfamiliar with them, but most of the vids I watched recommended swapping-out the stockers.
SLP_STCK_01.jpg
SLP_STCK_02.jpg

Finally, here is a comparison shot of the Superstar Classic next to the S.L.P.:
SLP_CMPAR.jpg

The monster does sound excellent. It has the "snap" and tone that I have been looking for. I have outfitted it with the Remos and PureSound 24-strand snare wires. The 24-strand setup might prove to be too much, so I am going to hang onto the stock wires for a bit. I also need to decide whether or not to sell the maple snare. They're not going for much on Reverb (around $140 or so) so it might behoove me to keep it.

Thank you for looking.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Tama made a full kit, at one time. Killer drums. Really nice snare !!!!! Congrats.(y)

yammyfan

Wow! That snare is big - and beautiful!

Do you have any trouble getting your snare stand low enough to accommodate the Monster?

Jeremy Crockett

Wow! That snare is big - and beautiful!

Do you have any trouble getting your snare stand low enough to accommodate the Monster?
I have used it in its current configuration, but I do plan on lowering the stand a bit and it looks like the stand will comply.