NP calls it quits

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Over the the summer, Rush embarked on their “R40 Tour” celebrating the 40th anniversary of drummer Neil Peart’s membership in the band. At the time, bandmate Alex Lifeson said it would likely be the band’s final full-scale tour together due to his psoriatic arthritis and Peart’s chronic tendonitis. While Lifeson left the door open for future projects, including smaller tours and soundtrack work, he said the band’s ultimate fate lays in the hands of music’s greatest drummer.

If that’s the case, it appears Rush is no more. In a new interview with Drumhead Magazine (via Jambase), Peart spoke frankly about his coming to terms with retirement. “… Lately Olivia has been introducing me to new friends at school as ‘My dad– He’s a retired drummer.’ True to say–funny to hear. And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to… take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song ‘Losing It’ (‘Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it’).”

Aside from aforementioned health issues, Peart previously mentioned his desire to spend more time with family. Following the tragic deaths of his daughter and first wife in the late ’90s, Peart remarried in 2000. He and his wife had a daughter, Olivia, in 2009.
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/rushs-neil-peart-says-hes-retired-from-music/

Thoughts?

Neil seems like the kind of guy that once he says something, he follows through with it. He's pretty no nonsense, that's my take on him.

Still, I'm sure there will be a reunion tour in the future, I mean it's just too hard to resist. Plus the money? Fuggetaboutit. They could probably name their own terms. It's a career strategy at this point.

It was pointed out by the bands manager that the band planned to take two years off, but that would make the band 65 in two years, and he questioned if he could really convince 65 year olds to go out and tour the way they do.

Geddy said some time ago the band was not all on the same page when it came to the idea of touring more in the future, and Alex has said one big factor is Neil's tendonitis.

So, while sad, it's not surprising.

And if you read Neil's books and writings, he's not been a big fan of touring since 89.

And with all he's been through, it's amazing he's playing at all.

And people will say "yeah, but the Rolling Stones..." but of course, it's not all of the Stones, given they have members who are retired as well, and the Stones bring back up musicians on the road with them. It's not just a 3pc playing a 3 hour show.

Neil seems like the kind of guy that once he says something, he follows through with it. He's pretty no nonsense, that's my take on him.

Still, I'm sure there will be a reunion tour in the future, I mean it's just too hard to resist. Plus the money? Fuggetaboutit. They could probably name their own terms. It's a career strategy at this point.

I don't think Neil is particularly driven by money. Alex and Geddy fly around on a private jet, while Neil rides a motorcycle, and chooses to stay in hotels off the beaten path. In one of his books, Neil discuss how he spends far less money on tour than his band mates do. And he talks about working out a the local YMCA when he could obviously afford a high end gym.

Their last tour was 34 just shows across the US and Canada. They could have easily played far more shows, and toured Europe and South America as well if they wanted to roll in more cash.

Thoughts?

Never been a big Neil Peart fan, probably just because I haven't listened much to his music. And I suppose it is great for him that he is able to retire and spend time with his family, and do it while still being recognized as one of the top drummers. He will be missed.

It seems to me this is the result not only of his drumming ability, but also of his persistence. I remember (a looooong time ago, in the Usenet time, on RMMP) when mentioning NP could be used to halt discussion threads or at least divert them in any tangent. He was the subject of bad (and some good) jokes and only a few brave dared to admit they actually liked listening to Rush.

Seems things have changed. Which is good,

He was inspirational to me how he rebuilt his life after losing his wife and daughter. After losing my own daughter, when I was in the hospital, a friend gave me a copy of his Ghost Rider book.

I think he might be at a point where he can't really deliver the songs on tour the way that he arranged the songs. He said he'd quit when he reached that point.

BTW, Sorry to hear about your loss DrummerCA.

Maybe a coaching job.

Its tough when all you are is RUSH (one band). Learn to play different styles kids, music is fun.

And people will say "yeah, but the Rolling Stones..." but of course, it's not all of the Stones, given they have members who are retired as well, and the Stones bring back up musicians on the road with them. It's not just a 3pc playing a 3 hour show.

This.

I'd like to see two things.

1. See Rush play a set of Rolling Stones covers.
2. See the Rolling Stones try to play all of Hemispheres or Power Windows.

This.

I'd like to see two things.

1. See Rush play a set of Rolling Stones covers.
2. See the Rolling Stones try to play all of Hemispheres or Power Windows.

The Rolling Stones are accustomed to playing hit records thou, Something Rush is not. That would be a lop sided contest for Rush in a bad way. By the way i grew up on Rush, (Love em) but they never made hits like the Stones so lets not go there. But True, Stones cant play there work and wouldnt, even if they could.

Last edited:
Wow, this is ... I dunno, shocking I guess, though not surprising. It's been a long time since I heard his drumming on something new and got the feeling that his heart and soul were as consumed by the whole endeavor as when he was younger and when nailing the perfect part was what living was all about.

Life moves on and old loves get lost. Not that he didn't/doesn't still love drumming, but it did seem to have dropped a couple rungs on the priority list as family, writing, and other pursuits consumed more and more of his time, attention, and imagination. Nothing wrong with that. Add in the physical nature of his playing and the cruelty of the aging process ... I can understand him wanting to step down. What else can you do?

I've never been ashamed to admit that he was my biggest influence during my formative years, and while it's a sad to see him hang it up, it's nothing short of a beautiful thing that he was able to make such a captivating series of amazing records in the first place.

While this's indeed sad news to both fans of NP&RUSH.But fwiw/imho we should respect his&Rush's decision for him to either quit while on top or scale down there tours, &take pleasure in both the audio&&visual pleasure they've provided over the years&still continue to do.At least you Canucks&Yanks have had the pleasure of seeing them live in both there's&your's respective countries.Us "Aussie/Ozzie" fans have been both constantly&continually denied that pleasure,
For reasons unknown but i'd say more to due with both lack of record sales&economics of touring.Man i still wish i had my TAMA &LUDWIG NP posters& TAMA banner(Superstar)! :(.

Well played Neil, you earned it! To keep it in focus, not totally tragic, he's hanging up Rush/touring/member of a rock band. I doubt he completely hangs up drumming as an activity, especially if/when his daughter shows an interest.

This is interesting.
I just retired from NOT playing. The planets must be re-aligning.

And I retired from work in August and was hired back by the hospital today.
I'm glad to see Neil do what he felt was best for himself. Some people just don't know when to quit. His/Rushes contribution to music was huge, fan or not, so go while he is young enough to enjoy some "me" time. Don't know what is on his bucket list, or as my Albanian friend told me today, his dream drawer, but I hope he has a ball.

Once we lost our favourite rock idols due to substances and misadventure. Now we lose them through tendonitis and chronic arthritis. Evolution :)

Well, there's always the banjo. Mix it up Peart. Keeps one fresh.

Back