NP calls it quits

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
This a personal career decision by a professional. Why are we even allowed to have an opinion on it since it's personal and doesn't affect a single one of us?

I just wish I could retire!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well what drummer hasn't admired and been inspired by Neil Peart. After twenty years of rocking then changing styles after Freddie Gruber's mentoring adding some jazz and swing to his playing. Great albums by the Rush that I can mark phases of my life since 1974. Blasting "Working man" on cassette I believe -could have been 8 track I guess. Course he isn't quitting playing drums altogether I'd wager-just not the stressful life of band and touring.

Last edited:

supermac

Of all the many great drummers I admire and listen to, Neil has remained my idol and main inspiration.

For a young player in the early 80s, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and Signals were so incredibly exciting and represented the ultimate in rock drumming.

Not to mention he is a drummer who wrote great meaningful lyrics!

Having been a Neil follower for years and read all his books and interviews, I personally don't think this is 'the end'.

Major long-haul tours are clearly over, but I'd be very surprised if Rush never recorded again or even did a residency of one-city shows perhaps.

Who knows?

Whatever happens, best wishes and thanks for over three decades of utter inspiration, Mr Peart.

opentune

Platinum Member
Having been a Neil follower for years and read all his books and interviews, I personally don't think this is 'the end'.
Major long-haul tours are clearly over, but I'd be very surprised if Rush never recorded again or even did a residency of one-city shows perhaps.
Who knows?
According to Geddy who was just asked about this fro another mag, it is not the end. Yes, end of tours, but not of all things Rush. It appears NP's words were simply blown out of context in the 'there is no story so lets make a story' style of journalism.

MikeM

Platinum Member
According to Geddy who was just asked about this fro another mag, it is not the end. Yes, end of tours, but not of all things Rush. It appears NP's words were simply blown out of context in the 'there is no story so lets make a story' style of journalism.
I saw this too, but I also watched their interview with Michael Moore from last month, where it appeared that Geddy was taking great pains to choose his words carefully. Along with that, I got the impression that conversations with Neil hadn't been going in the direction Geddy might have liked and looked like he was trying to conceal how peeved he was.

If you read the full text of what Neil wrote, his message didn't seem very ambiguous, even if he didn't come right out and say it (though, he kinda did). When he said he was retired, he never mentioned that it applied to just the touring side; it seemed total. At least to me it did. Also, it would seem uncharacteristically sloppy of Neil to publish something like that if there was any chance he might have a change of heart.

Now whether or not Geddy or Alex can change his mind remains to be seen, and we won't know for a long time while they're on hiatus.

At this point, it looks like Neil's dug his heels in and the other two are trying to play down the reality the situation - with perhaps an element of denial, too, since the thought of starting over for them has to be crushing to even consider. For them, it has to be a humungous blow, especially for Geddy who has aged so gracefully (sans voice) and who remains such an enthusiastic dynamo of a player. Alex too, for that matter. But I feel bad for Neil, since I'm sure he feels at least a little guilty about pulling the rug out from under them.

I take Neil at his word that he doesn't want to be that "Losing It" character. I also think his Buddy Rich Concert performance did expose some fatal flaws in his playing that took him down a few too many pegs, not just in the eyes of other drummers, but in his as well. (I have to say that I was more disappointed by him thinking he had something to prove in that arena, and it did nothing to diminish my love of his rock drumming)

Despite lessons from Gruber and Erskine, he simply didn't have enough gas left in the tank to do what it would take to get to that level of fluidity and improvisational freedom. He didn't have the time, the inclination, or the need to develop those core skills. And as long as he was in Rush, the opportunity to really exercise those skills would likely never materialize. I seriously doubt he could have started over from scratch at that point in his career in light of everything he'd already accomplished. For starters, he would have had to leave Rush behind and allow himself to get seriously schooled by scads of cats who never registered the smallest blip in any Modern Drummer Reader's Poll.

Check these excerpts from the last two paragraphs from the Drumhead article:

You have to know when you're at the top of your particular mountain, I guess. Maybe not the summit, but as high as you can go...

... [Artie Shaw] was a celebrated big-band leader and clarinetist (he called Benny Goodman "the competition") who famously gave up playing at age forty-four. This summation of his career really resonates with me now. "Had to be better, better, better. It always could be better...When I quit, it was because I couldn't do any better."
That sentiment seems really powerful to me because I don't think Neil can get any better, either. He's taken it as far as he'll ever get it and it's all downhill from here. That's the piece that has me convinced that he really is done.

True, we can all speculate 'till our fingers are blue in the tips, but no one will know for sure until they release some kind of joint statement.

However, my money's on retirement.

Last edited:

Mart61

Silver Member
I've been a Rush fan for most of my adult life. My only regret is that I only saw them live once, a couple of years ago.

Enjoy a long and happy retirement, Neil.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I had the pleasure of seeing them in Montreal this past summer. I had a feeling it might be the last, I took my son and happy I did.
You can't play at that level for ever, injuries, aches and pains creep in with age.
NP has a young family, so good on him for deciding to be with them.
I also went with my son this summer here in St. Louis. I did go to a Rush concert with my son in 2004 so it was not our first. But when I heard this news I was extremely happy he and I shared part of their last tour. He was the third drummer to inspire me after Buddy and Karen. His style was perfect for me in my teens and album rock life. Thank you NP for the inspiration, dedication, and your vast collection of music! First concert, 1976!

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I'm really, really hoping this guy is kidding and is making these silly videos for fun or trolling purposes.

If he's serious, he has my sympathy.

Don't cry for him, Pork! That's Fred Armisen, one the best comedians ever produced by Saturday Night Live. Check out his satirical work on You Tube.

GeeDeeEmm

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The guys in Rush should carry on with another drummer. Problem solved.

Neil doesn't want to tour, the other guys do.

Who would be a good replacement?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The guys in Rush should carry on with another drummer. Problem solved.

Neil doesn't want to tour, the other guys do.

Who would be a good replacement?
I don't think it's that simple.

To be fair, Alex isn't exactly jumping up and down to tour extensively either.
And even Geddy has admitted he has to have a day off after each show at his age for his voice to recover, which limits how many shows they can play.

And there are dozens of guys who could technically play all of Neil's parts and do a good job, but you can't just replace 40 years of chemistry.

At 63, it's not like Geddy and Alex would be do much touring in the future anyway. Do they really re-write Rush history to play a few more shows?

Maybe in 2-3 years they tour as Geddy and Alex of Rush, but I highly doubt they ever tour under the Rush name without Neil.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
I keep hearing mixed reports on this, a lot of people are reporting that Geddy Lee says Peart hasn't retired. If i type in Peart in the news section in google 90% of it is them saying he hasn't retired. Indeed nothing on his site says he has either.