"Exit the warrior
Today's Tom Sawyer.
He gets high on you
And the energy you trade.
He gets right on to the friction of the day."

Neil, we all understand your aversion for accolades,
but here's to an exceptional career and an extraordinary,
well earned retirement.

Thanks for your influence and inspiration for the past four decades.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
while it's a sad to see him hang it up, it's nothing short of a beautiful thing that he was able to make such a captivating series of amazing records in the first place.
Pretty much nails it for me :)

Roadydad

I had the pleasure of seeing them in Montreal this past summer. I had a feeling it might be the last, I took my son and happy I did.
You can't play at that level for ever, injuries, aches and pains creep in with age.
NP has a young family, so good on him for deciding to be with them.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Part of me os crushed, because I missed their last show due to things beyond my control.

But I do see his point.

I follow the NFL, and looking at the Peyton Maning situation. They guy should have probably retired at the end of the season before last. I thought he looked done last year. Now this season, he's been terrible and injured. And there are stories he wants to play next year. It's sad to watch a great one just decline and be in such denial of it.

Or back to music, The Who. Along with Rush, The Who is my favorite all time band (as is Neil's), but Rodger can't sing, and hasn't been able to sing in some time. And yet he continues to go out on tour even though his voice is shot. It's sad to see one of Rock's all time greatest singers just trying and failing to do it like he used to. I get why Robert Plant just won't do a Zep reunion.

So perhaps it's best Neil steps down now, while he still can, before he finds himself out there, not being able to.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
If Neal calls it quits, Rush could always get this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoZUzMJ7DY&feature=related

'That guy' could easily cover NP's drum parts with a little effort, and he sings. NP could stay on, write lyrics... sort of a coaching job.

This.

I'd like to see two things.

1. See Rush play a set of Rolling Stones covers.
2. See the Rolling Stones try to play all of Hemispheres or Power Windows.
IMO pointless. What we might get to see is Geddy and Alex do solo albums, bet you can't wait for that huh?

Just like Rush did. *mic drop*
My point exactly. If all you did your whole career is Rush songs, what next? Real musicians do not retire, they find a way to play, till their dead. NP could do jazzified 'Yes' cover tunes behind the kit maybe. They should move the hell out of Canadia, get to the desert, somewhere dry... helps arthritis and tendinitis.

And people will say "yeah, but the Rolling Stones..." but of course, it's not all of the Stones, given they have members who are retired as well, and the Stones bring back up musicians on the road with them. It's not just a 3pc playing a 3 hour show.

Members who are retired? You mean the bass player (1 member) retired right?

Jager, 72 years old, running around the stage like a 20 year old 'and' singing all night? Probably has arthritis too.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
I think the original story from OP, isn't the whole picture, he's retiring from touring but I'm sure he would do a few Rush gigs here and there. See Geddy's article at http://ultimateclassicrock.com/geddy-lee-neil-peart-retire-comment/

It also got me thinking about my own injuries and playing as I approach the half-century mark. I have tendonitis in both shoulders and my left wrist, and arthritis in my left knee. A sports Dr./Chiro taught me some stretching exercises to do every AM and before playing (when I had it in the right shoulder) that seem to work and I play every day at full tilt - no problem so far, but I think if I stop it will set in.

I doubt I will ever tour, doing 3 hour shows, but it's a wake up call: If I really want to keep doing this (hard rock at full volume), I need to have a strategy to "go the distance", and it seems exercise/stretching is the way. Just an observation...

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I doubt I will ever tour, doing 3 hour shows, but it's a wake up call: If I really want to keep doing this (hard rock at full volume), I need to have a strategy to "go the distance", and it seems exercise/stretching is the way. Just an observation...
I have a strategy. It's called "Aleve".

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Like many drummers, Neil ignited my passion for drumming when I was a kid. Listening to my older brother's copy of "Hemispheres" was sort of my "seeing Ringo on Ed Sullivan" experience.

He was inspirational to me how he rebuilt his life after losing his wife and daughter. After losing my own daughter, when I was in the hospital, a friend gave me a copy of his Ghost Rider book.
I remember reading your thread and being incredibly moved by how you and your family have found ways to move on after such unimaginable tragedy. I'm wondering, have you ever attempted to contact Neil to let him know how his book helped you?

Super Phil

'That guy' could easily cover NP's drum parts with a little effort, and he sings. NP could stay on, write lyrics... sort of a coaching job.

IMO pointless. What we might get to see is Geddy and Alex do solo albums, bet you can't wait for that huh?

My point exactly. If all you did your whole career is Rush songs, what next? Real musicians do not retire, they find a way to play, till their dead. NP could do jazzified 'Yes' cover tunes behind the kit maybe. They should move the hell out of Canadia, get to the desert, somewhere dry... helps arthritis and tendinitis.

Members who are retired? You mean the bass player (1 member) retired right?

Jager, 72 years old, running around the stage like a 20 year old 'and' singing all night? Probably has arthritis too.
Your whole post basically deserves a giant face palm, so I'll only address the part about getting out of 'Canadia'. Neil actually lives in Southern California these days, lol.

STXBob

Gold Member
It's worth posting again, because it got lost in the idiot with the cymbal trees.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rushs-geddy-lee-says-neil-peart-hasnt-retired/

RUSH bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee has shot down reports that the band's drummer, Neil Peart, has retired.

Peart gave an interview to Drumhead magazine in which he was quoted as saying that he was happy to accept his daughter's description of him as a "retired drummer." He added: "It does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to... take yourself out of the game."

But Lee insists that nothing has been decided about RUSH's next move and that Peart was simply explaining his decision to take a break.

Lee tells U.K.'s Prog magazine: "There's really nothing to say. I think Neil is just explaining his reasons for not wanting to tour, with the toll that it's taking on his body. That's all I would care to comment on it."

He continued: "We'll get together eventually and chat about things. But in my view, there is certainly nothing surprising in what he said. Neil just feels that he has to explain with all the thousands of people asking, 'Why no more tours?' He needs to explain his side of it."

Asked whether he feels Peart's quote was taken out of context, Lee said: "I think that's absolutely right. That's their job. Talking about something when there's nothing to talk about."

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Your whole post basically deserves a giant face palm, so I'll only address the part about getting out of 'Canadia'. Neil actually lives in Southern California these days, lol.
Thx for your opinion. So Cal isn't quite the desert actually. And where does Alex Lifeson (the guy w/arthritis) live, Canadia?

Lifeson- "Who my age doesn't have some aches and pains?" explains the guitarist, who still boasts an impressive 10 handicap for golf -- but Peart's issues with tendinitis are more debilitating. "It's a very difficult endeavor for Neil," Lifeson says. "It's very physical, and it hurts. It's painful for him to play for three hours the way he does, so it's come to a point in his life where he just can't tour anymore." So as much as there's a resolve to do more with the band, there's also an open-endedness that's different from other hiatuses during Rush's career.

Bruford retiring not for the same reasons Im sure, and who knows, we might see Buford do a Steve Smith style reunion with Ye$. Peart is out bc of the physical pain, which IMO can be remidied, so more of a break to figure it out IMO, not a retirement. Ppl do tho come out of retirement.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I like Wailin's 45 degree snare angle. I guarantee the entire band would retire before he would take Neil's place.