Now we're getting somewhere...

jer

Silver Member
A track from our 3rd indie album, first mix I've heard that felt was worthy of showing you folks.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9381485

Was the first recording I've ever done that included a scratch drum track. We recorded live off the floor in our jam space to a click with the other guys all running DI to minimize bleed in our drum mics, (everybody had headphones on). The guys then took the sessions and did their parts over top. Guitars were done at a cottage, bass at the bass players house. When our schedule allowed, I went out to the bass players house and recorded in his studio over a weekend to the finished guitars and bass. Vocals done at a pro studio a few months later. I did my own drum edits, which is cutting down on mixing expenses, not that there were a tonne, but I probably put 10-12 hours into it that were didn't have to pay anybody. The vocalist did guitar and vocal edits as well as set up the sessions for our mixing guy, this also saved us a good chunk of change. Mixing is being done by a guy I've worked with before on another project, so far, aside from a couple pieces of rental gear, this is our first major expense.

As far as sounds go, I'm least happy with the snare - I wished we had a mic on the bottom... a good bit of eq'ing happening there to try to pull any body out of it.

That's my kind of music. It sounds really good, the drumming fit perfectly with the song.

I dug it. That's the kinda indie I like. The drumming was perfect with the feel and the timing of your fills for the mood were on point. Keep it up.

Thanks for listening everybody! I do appreciate the comments. Tasteful, solid and tight are all words I strive to achieve with my playing, looks like I'm doing alright. :)

I also appreciate that you think the drums sound good, it's the collective result of guys who have been playing this game for a few years applying skills acquired with some alright gear trying to achieve something that will hold up on an album without resorting to sound replacement or samples.

So what gear are you using?

Not sure if you mean drums or recording...

Kit is a Keller, made by a no-longer-in-business company called "Obelisk". 10" rack, 14 + 16 floors, 18" Kick, '78 Acrolite, Coated Amb's all around, PS3 on kick, pulled the front head off. 16 + 18 A Custom Projections, 20" A Medium, 14" Sabian regular hats.

Tracked on a G5, using a Digi 003 rack, mix of Blue Tube and ART pre's, D112 in kick, Apex 460 outside, 57 on snare, 58 on rack tom, e604's on the floor toms, can't remember which model, but a pair from the e800 series as over heads.

Mixing on a PC ProTools rig, nothing too fancy as far as plug ins go, eq's, compressor / limiters, gates. The PSP "Vintage Warmer" got good use on the drums.

Bass guitar is an Ibanez hollowbody, DI and re-amped. Majority of guitars was a 57 in front of a Fender Deville and Deluxe, using a Gretch Tennessee Rose and Fender Strat, respectively. Vocals were done through a U87 and Focusrite Red 1.

Hey Jer, great to hear your stuff. As the others said, good solid groove work and nice energy in the fills. I like the band tension. There's an air of anticipation to the material. Although I'm not an Indie fan, I value the slightly dreamy melody over the instruments with attitude feel. I felt the guitar was ever so slightly out of tune at the beginning. This added to the vibe for me. Great, throw us some more!

This added to the vibe for me.

Perfect, as intended. I didn't know until I saw the session that that whole intro is made up of different elements. The fire, talking, crickets, guitar and whistles are all separate tracks, recorded at different times.

Thanks again friends.

i liked it, it was really well put together, and really professional sounding, very soothing/mellow song.

Thanks again for the thoughts everyone!

It flashes me back to the late 90's a bit.

If you consider that stuff coming out in the late 90's was influenced by stuff from the early 90's, makes perfect sense! The band is heavily influenced by this era.

Thanks again for the thoughts everyone!

If you consider that stuff coming out in the late 90's was influenced by stuff from the early 90's, makes perfect sense! The band is heavily influenced by this era.
I guess I am not being too direct here, but it reminds me of the music I was listening to on 88.5 WRAS while I lived in ATL from '95-'98. Not sure exactly what bands you are talking about but it makes sense indeed because you are influenced by bands in the early 90's and these bands grew to that point.

Back