Now it's official, I'm the band mug :)

Andy

Honorary Member
The things us drummers get involved with eh! Not only do I own & haul the very considerable PA system, but now our new lighting rig too! I do charge the band a fee however ;) Also, we have 3 crew to hump & set up/break down. The trussing arrived today, so I thought I'd set it up & check it out. It goes 15ft wider & a bit higher than this, but it was hot today, & I couldn't be bothered with the rest of it. Used my 6ft tall daughter as rigger, & for photo scale.

Anyhow, I'm sort of happy being the band mug, it ensures that things get done, & done properly. Anyone else here crazy/sad enough to be the band's biggest net contributor?

Attachments

• Trussing.jpg
    Trussing.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 852
I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s something almost surreal about that picture. Maybe the sort of forced perspective going on with the 2 stands? Not to mention the bizarro sculpture on the left.

Love the open greenspace... Have no idea what the Brit meaning of "mug". Mug is something you drink coffee/hot cocoa from. That crazy lingo again.... I think it means "shlepper" ??

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s something almost surreal about that picture. Maybe the sort of forced perspective going on with the 2 stands? Not to mention the bizarro sculpture on the left.
Ha, yes, now you mention it :) The sculpture is of a dragon landing, carved from a dead standing oak tree.

Love the open greenspace... Have no idea what the Brit meaning of "mug". Mug is something you drink coffee/hot cocoa from. That crazy lingo again.... I think it means "shlepper" ??
Shlepper is close. Of course, a mug is a chunky drinking cup, but in this context, someone who's taken for granted, happy to work hard whilst others stand by, gullible, easily persuaded to do something, etc.

The hillside also reminds me of the setting for the Teletubbies show. Is that a cool VW bus..?

Lol, yes teletubie's land :)

Ha! Andy's living a hippie revival type of life, he's got to drive the genuine article.

Wow, Andy, it's big, I wonder how long it takes to set up the stage, with the light show, the PA, the kit, the balance... it must be hard work, do you have any helpers for your gigs?

The pic looks fabulous, did I spot a trailer for a horse or poney? Any horse riders in the house?

Finally, a drummer who gets his kit lighted properly!

Shlepper is close. Of course, a mug is a chunky drinking cup, but in this context, someone who's taken for granted, happy to work hard whilst others stand by, gullible, easily persuaded to do something, etc.

The British/U.S. working versions of the English language...of course we understand the British came up with it all...

But for safety's sake, you probably wouldn't want to tell an American girl you're gonna knock her up in the morning.

(unless of course you were already on those terms with her).

I always wanted to be a mug. They just called me grunt boy.

Nice, Andy. What a pretty girl you have and love the panoramic view behind her... and the carved tree trunk... you lucky man, you...

The band thing is getting very serious it seems,,

Crikey. I thought the surreal red lights in the garage were enough!
Dammit, my alternative income has been discovered :)

What a pretty girl you have
you lucky man, you...
Indeed Abe, indeed :)

The band thing is getting very serious it seems,,.
Yes, a bit, but it's fun, & putting on a pro'ish show gets us better gigs. That's got to be a good thing :)

you probably wouldn't want to tell an American girl you're gonna knock her up in the morning.
Oh, I'm not so sure ;) What's the worst thing that can happen, a slap? I usually have to pay extra for that ;)

Finally, a drummer who gets his kit lighted properly!
Yes, yes, & yes! You've uncovered my selfish motivation :)

Ha! Andy's living a hippie revival type of life, he's got to drive the genuine article.
Unfortunately, no. It's a small scale copy of the real thing. My wife's toy, but it's a great bed on wheels for festivals & rallies :)

Wow, Andy, it's big, I wonder how long it takes to set up the stage, with the light show, the PA, the kit, the balance... it must be hard work, do you have any helpers for your gigs?
Yes, it does take a while. Thank goodness we have 3 crew to lighten the load :)

The pic looks fabulous, did I spot a trailer for a horse or poney? Any horse riders in the house?
No, that's my band gear trailer. My daughter does ride, but we don't trailer the horse.

So. I hear you’re selling snare drums to forum members below cost. I’ll send you my shipping address.
Hahaha, nice try. I might be a pliable sort of guy, but not that pliable :)

Wow Andy, that's some serious kit there. I take it you don't drive a Mini?

I think that being the band mug is a drummers lot. I do all the driving (we're the family with a minibus cause we have lots of kids) which converts into a van with enough seats for the whole band and has room for all of our equipment, so while the rest of the band drink and fall asleep on the way home, muggins is awake and responsible for £20k of gear, £20k of minibus and 4 lives. Go figure...

Oh - my - God. All you need is 11" stone henge and you're set! Wondering how long you'll remain an engineer ...

And here I am agonising over whether to upgrade to a Catalina Club Jazz set but wondering if the extra lugging will be worth it :)

You have a beautiful daughter Andy , I'm sure your proud dad!!! Dude, is that your back yard? Where is that photo taken its beautiful!! If thats your place I'm coming over for lunch.

Joe

Wow Andy, that's some serious kit there. I take it you don't drive a Mini?

I think that being the band mug is a drummers lot. I do all the driving (we're the family with a minibus cause we have lots of kids) which converts into a van with enough seats for the whole band and has room for all of our equipment, so while the rest of the band drink and fall asleep on the way home, muggins is awake and responsible for £20k of gear, £20k of minibus and 4 lives. Go figure...
I feel for you, my Gaelic brother :)

You have a beautiful daughter Andy , I'm sure your proud dad!!! Dude, is that your back yard? Where is that photo taken its beautiful!! If thats your place I'm coming over for lunch.

Joe
Thanks Joe, you're welcome for lunch anytime. I set up the trussing on my drive, this is my yard, & a whole ton of work, just like bands eh!

Attachments

• 155038_166924300013191_100000868660283_309290_3416730_n.jpg
    155038_166924300013191_100000868660283_309290_3416730_n.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 584
  • 155038_166924293346525_3232633_n.jpg
    155038_166924293346525_3232633_n.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 577
Back