Notation question: what is (9) or (11)

Francislaw63

As a beginning player I have a notation question regarding rolls. I've got this book called "Rhythms and Rolls" with 500 exercises for Snare drum.
I can read music and know the notation for double and triple rolls, but sometimes the author adds a number in brackets (eg (9)) over the roll notation.
What does that mean? Can anybody help me?

How many strokes the rolls have probably. The author should have a key or explanation on the book.

A 5 stroke roll is RRLLR or LLRRL.

A 9 stroke roll is RRLLRRLLR or LLRRLLRRL.

You should be able to extrapolate for 11.

Yes, this.

This is common practice for rudimental work. The number tells you the measured roll being used, (5) = a 5-stroke roll, etc.

This is to avoid any confusion where ambiguous notation or rhythms can lead to different interpretations of how many strokes to play.

As a beginning player...
Keep in mind that a 9-stroke roll is really an 8-stroke roll, plus a tap at the end. When I started, I couldn't figure out why someone would carefully draw 8 notes, and then write "9" over top. :unsure: So 5 is really 4, 7 is really six... et cetera.

One exception is the "six-stroke-roll" rudiment, which is a different sort of animal.

6.png

Usually the even-numbered rolls have two accented singles-- either both at the beginning, or both at the end, or one on each end. Things labeled 6 stroke roll usually have an accent at each end.

All of the roll names count double strokes and the release-- or a tap at the beginning. So a 7 stroke roll = three doubles and a release, or a tap + three doubles. For some reason they don't count the release in that form. The system isn't 100% consistent.

Also if you're playing multiple bounce / closed / buzz rolls, each buzz stroke counts as two roll notes, for naming purposes. 5 stroke roll open or closed = two roll strokes (double or buzz) + release.

With rolls you do play the tied note-- that's the release. All the tie tells you is that the roll is unbroken until you hit the release. When there's no tie, there needs to be a little space between the roll and the following note.

Am I right that the release note typically occurs on a "whole beat" (i.e., a 1, 2, 3, or 4, and not an e, &, or a, for example. Not sure about my term "whole beat" but I think you know what I mean).

In TMe's images the strikes might occur on 1e&a2 3e&a4 wherein strikes on 1, 2, 3, and 4 are 16th notes (odds are "taps", evens are "releases") and the other strikes are 32nd notes or double strokes. Thx

Last edited:
As a beginning player I have a notation question regarding rolls. I've got this book called "Rhythms and Rolls" with 500 exercises for Snare drum.
I can read music and know the notation for double and triple rolls, but sometimes the author adds a number in brackets (eg (9)) over the roll notation.
What does that mean? Can anybody help me?
Francislaw63, check out Jack Bennett of "I can play drums" on Youtube. He put out a series of videos on all the rolls on his channel a few years ago. I think they are good explanations.

I’m not sure what you wrote but here are my interpretations, time-wise. Hopefully correct. When you say “whole beat”, are you referring to “down beat”?

1-e-&-a-
R-llrrL-
For a 6 stroke roll, above are the beats based on 32nd notes but counting sixteenth notes as 1e&a. The total roll takes one quarter note in time.

A five stroke roll in eighth notes as RRLLR would be as below and takes six 8th notes in time.

1e&a2e
rrllR-
Yes, your first example is what I meant--the chart form helps. Thanks!

What Todd Bishop said, regarding the odd numbered rolls.

The even numbered rolls are a whole other topic.

Back