Not much difference - Sound Comparison

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
For a non-drummer it might even be the same, but I definetly hear the expected characteristics of each brand, even on youtube.

Put some music in the background and the differences would probably shine through even more.

WallyY

Platinum Member
They should do it again after a few days of playing on them to show what they really sound like most of the time, not just when brand new.

R2112

Silver Member
Cool demo. Definitely could hear the differences.

Aquarian = punchy, most focussed sound

Evans = punchy, slightly less focussed than Aquarian

Remo = the least focussed of the three and allowed the most overtones

AzHeat

Platinum Member
That's the best comparison I've seen yet. I too would be curious to hear a comparison after a couple of days of playing the heads, but that has to be a tough one to set up. I definitely know which I'm going with the next time I try new heads. :)

Icetech

Gold Member
Great video... one thing i will say is that i switched from emperors to response 2's like 6 months ago.. the Aquarians stay in tune amazingly well and the coating (i use coated) is tough as nails..

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Great video... one thing i will say is that i switched from emperors to response 2's like 6 months ago.. the Aquarians stay in tune amazingly well and the coating (i use coated) is tough as nails..
That's true. I use coated Emperors on my Tama drums and the coating does wear away before the heads wear-out. I did not like that aspect. I do know the Aquarian and Evans coatings last way longer than Remo. I think I'm going with the coated G12's next time. But if I'm going with clear heads, it would be a tough decision. Price may well be the determining factor.

G

Ghostnote

Wow, I really liked the Aquarian head. Maybe I should give them another chance. The only time I ever bought Aquarian heads, 2 out of the 4 heads I bought were defective, and none of them sounded particularily good on my Legacy kit, so I never really entertained the thought of buying more. That clear 2-ply sounds better to me than the Remo or Evans heads though...

mike d

Silver Member
Definitely makes me want to try an Aquarian response 2. I'm an Evans guy, but I liked that sound at that tuning, tom sizes, whatever reso head... etc...

mike d

Silver Member
Wow, I really liked the Aquarian head. Maybe I should give them another chance. The only time I ever bought Aquarian heads, 2 out of the 4 heads I bought were defective, and none of them sounded particularily good on my Legacy kit, so I never really entertained the thought of buying more. That clear 2-ply sounds better to me than the Remo or Evans heads though...
Well, quality and consistency are definitely high on my list of features.
I've had good luck with Evans.

opentune

Platinum Member
Great vid. Remo is the most 'open' and distinct to my ears. I've had good luck with all those brands. One can't beat the cost of Aquarians. I'll do Aquarians or Evans on toms, but always prefer a Remo for snare and bass.

makinao

Silver Member
I wish they had a comparison with a mic farther, as in the driver's seat. IMHO, close miking doesn't capture many harmonics and overtones. Maybe then the differences would have been more obvious.